FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP Home slipstreamed with SP2

DaComboMan
Hi,

I've followed the instructions found here followed this link
http://www.technipages.com/article22.html
to slipstream but can't do the last step as i don't have Nero nor Roxio CD burners.

Was thinking...

1. If i copy them to a CD (along MSN image file) could it not be done on someone elses computer who does have Nero?

2. Also, before i forget: what about the drivers that came with my laptop? Can i slipstream those too?

-Daniel

-BTW, the link i found the info to slipstream does not seem to have an operational forum to ask these questions.
Animal
If the copy of Windows came with your laptop (eg. it is an OEM version), you may find that it does not allow you to slipstream the service pack. I tried this myself and could not understand why it didn't work. After a bit of research, I found that a lot of OEM producers (such as Dell - the makers of my PC) make changes to the Windows installation so as to include some of their own "tweaks" and settings, and to prevent you from installing the copy of Windows on a non-Dell PC.

As far as I know, slipstreaming will work on "non-altered" OEM copies of windows and retail versions of Windows only.
DaComboMan
Animal wrote:
If the copy of Windows came with your laptop (eg. it is an OEM version), you may find that it does not allow you to slipstream the service pack. I tried this myself and could not understand why it didn't work. After a bit of research, I found that a lot of OEM producers (such as Dell - the makers of my PC) make changes to the Windows installation so as to include some of their own "tweaks" and settings, and to prevent you from installing the copy of Windows on a non-Dell PC.

As far as I know, slipstreaming will work on "non-altered" OEM copies of windows and retail versions of Windows only.

That may be true Animal, but a while back i remember installing from a MSN CD for my COMPAQ and it worked fine. That was three years ago. Things may have changed since.