FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Made this with Gimp

Kirbyssj

I was just testing out what i could do with gimp, I know it's not that funny but I got a little bit of a kick making it.
(Btw it was going to be my avatar thats why its so small (100x100)
datter
Hey, if you enjoyed making it then that's great... first and foremost, Art should be about doing something for the Artist. Smile
ocalhoun
Well, personally I would have removed the background first, and possibly added Vader's cape. Great work for beginning with the GIMP, though. It can be hard to use at first.
Kirbyssj
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, personally I would have removed the background first, and possibly added Vader's cape. Great work for beginning with the GIMP, though. It can be hard to use at first.

Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out how the layer system works with Gimp because it seems a bit different than photoshop and keeps auto merging my layers when I don't want it to X_X.
noliver
I have often wondered why "free" programs have such complex interfaces. Gimp has a learning curve thats quite steep and I wont even talk about Blender. That has the UI from hell.
Alie
Usually lil free programs are bit better then their big brothers Wink from Autodesk... Instead of millions menu scripts you have only things you need, like Wings 3d and box modeling.
ocalhoun
noliver wrote:
I have often wondered why "free" programs have such complex interfaces. Gimp has a learning curve thats quite steep and I wont even talk about Blender. That has the UI from hell.

Mainly because of their extremely modular construction, relative lack of direction in making the UI, and the fact that there's nobody being paid to make it look nice, while everyone who works on it of course already knows how to use every feature.
CivilizeD
Hehe thats nice looks like something from star wars. Wink
kerryworkman
Kirbyssj wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out how the layer system works with Gimp because it seems a bit different than photoshop and keeps auto merging my layers when I don't want it to X_X.

First off i just wanted to say that your pice is a nice start. I also wanted to say if you find photoshop easier to use, you might try gimpshop. I myself have not yet tried it, but I have heard good things about it, from some of my friends. Good luck, keep up the good work.

"GIMPshop is a modification of the free/open source graphics program GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), intended to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop." (from wikipedia)
tefa_taftaf2010
nice man ..

keep on it .. Surprised