FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

18 Inch Chunk of ice falls out of a clear sky

ocalhoun
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?s=search&storyid=48267
Quote:

Tampa, Florida - Andre Javage says he was just amazed when first he saw his car after ice fell from the sky and destroyed his car.

Javage, who had left the car at a friend's house, says he thought his friends were playing a practical joke and he hung up when he first got the call about the ice.

While a map of flights from Tampa International of flight activity does show there were three flights departing at the same time the ice fell, experts say departing planes could not have dropped the ice. Furthermore, the house is to the north of the airport, and all the departures were to the south.

So, what's up with that?
A 18 inch chunk of ice falls out of a clear sky, and crushes a car. This happens in Florida, where ice of any kind is a novelty.

Oh, and good news for the guy who's car was hit: progressive covers mysterious objects falling from the sky.
Star Wars Fanatic
UIO (Unidentified Ice Object) That is freaky, maybe the air at higher temperatures elsewhere froze the water into a ball, and it was carried a few miles over where this was... At least it didn't land on a person. There would be a story, "Man crushed by mysterious ball of ice!"
glenn83e
this happened a few years back too. A big chunk of ice landed in a golf course.

Just because there were no flights scheduled at that time to fly over head dosn't mean that it wasn't waste from the bathroom of a flight. Flight dumpings are known to not hit the ground for quite some time. I feel bad for the guy who owns the car though. Last time I checked some insurance policys have in fine print "not applicable for ufo damage" I know it was in my parents papers lol.
jongoldsz
glenn83e wrote:
this happened a few years back too. A big chunk of ice landed in a golf course.

Just because there were no flights scheduled at that time to fly over head dosn't mean that it wasn't waste from the bathroom of a flight. Flight dumpings are known to not hit the ground for quite some time. I feel bad for the guy who owns the car though. Last time I checked some insurance policys have in fine print "not applicable for ufo damage" I know it was in my parents papers lol.

I'm pretty sure that airplanes don't release bathroom waste while flying.

Anyway, at least it didn't hit a person; that would hurt.
yy1124
ouch...that hurts...
FunDa
That is severe . The damage looks too much to be from a chunk of ice. Where does it come from ?

It would melt or break apart when it's falling right ?

Very strange, I would say Confused
nikki
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

This is a first for me..

I question if this piece of ice really fell from the sky?

And if it did....how big was it when it started to fall?

Cause like someone else said.....It mush have melted a bit!!!!!
ocalhoun
FunDa wrote:
That is severe . The damage looks too much to be from a chunk of ice. Where does it come from ?

Well, a chunk of ice that big would weigh, on a conservative estimate, at least 10 pounds, and who knows how fast it was going when it hit...
Mannix
I don't think falling chunks of Ice are that common anywhere. Wonder what kind of karma this guy racked up to have a giant chunk of ice fall from the sky in Florida of all places and hit his car(as opposed to landing somewhere in the middle of nowhere). Kind of surprised the insurance company covered it, most won't cover "acts of god"(might just be thinking of homeowners insurance), which I'm sure they would classify this as.
ocalhoun
Well, for mine at least, as long as I have comprehensive coverage, the only thing not covered is mechanical breakdown, and even then towing charges are covered.
simp
The sky is falling!
The sky is falling!!
The sky is falling!!

(You knew that was coming - terribly obvious and predictable, but just couldn't pass it up.)
nikki
simp wrote:
The sky is falling!
The sky is falling!!
The sky is falling!!

(You knew that was coming - terribly obvious and predictable, but just couldn't pass it up.)

lol....

maybe it is....
copperhouse
If this is what global warming is going to bring us,help!

Basically its mother earth fighting back,trying to destroy whatever has been destroying her,pollution mostly.

If you view the link at the start of the post it tells you of a "megacryometeor"
in the news page,anyway did a bit of research and..........

Quote:
A megacryometeor is a very large chunk of ice, which, despite sharing many textural, hydro-chemical and isotopic features detected in large hailstones, are formed under unusual atmospheric conditions which clearly differ from those of the cumulonimbus clouds scenario (i.e. clear-sky conditions). They are sometimes called huge hailstones, but don't need to form in thunderstorms. Jesus Martinez-Frias, a planetary geologist of the Center for Astrobiology in Madrid pioneered research on megacryometeors in January 2000, after ice chunks weighing up to 6.6 pounds rained on Spain out of cloudless skies for 10 days
Tokci
yep I don't think they drop bathroom waste from the sky.

from the photo damage is pretty big...hope his insurance covers this...hit by UIO...it funny.
suntzu3500
Lucky guy. He's probably the only person to have ice in tampa.
DILLIGAF
I live in Florida and this was on all local news stations. All of the meteorologists around say that there is no weather condition that could produce a peice of ice that size. Therefore it had to come from a plane. Airplanes do dump there waste when over the ocean so it is beleived that a plane dumped its waste over the Gulf and either wind currents carried it or they dumped it later than they should have. But I have heard no official word of what the cause was.