FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reformat Linux to Windows XP "GRUB not loading.....ERRO

jay84h
I reformatted over Windows XP last week with Linux Ubuntu, but I want to go back to Windows XP. I popped in the Compaq recovery CD and apparently it states CALL COMPAQ FOR TECH SUPPORT, which I obviously am NOT going to do. Usually it popped up to factory restore the computer. I was wondering what I would need to do to get rid of Linux and reformat back to Windows XP. I read around, but it seems that I have gotten no help, fdisk is absolutely useless. All I have is the Linux bootable CD, as well as the Compaq Recovery CD, any help would be appreciated greatly!
JayBee
I like Linux, but I'm not so fanatic like you Very Happy (I have styl windows partition on my disk)

Try fdisk from Linux CD to delete linux and reformat it back to FAT32 (NTFS coul be problem)

Then use backup cd.
Worst thing, I never have windows backup CD that worls Laughing
cavaliere
try Partition magic, or Paragon and just delet it and reformat,
or even better solution would be to find on the net a LiveCD calle MiniPE which is actually LiveCd of Win and that CD has everything you need, partition managers and other cool things.
If wont be able to find it let me know I will try to give a link
Animal
jay84h wrote:
I reformatted over Windows XP last week with Linux Ubuntu, but I want to go back to Windows XP. I popped in the Compaq recovery CD and apparently it states CALL COMPAQ FOR TECH SUPPORT, which I obviously am NOT going to do. Usually it popped up to factory restore the computer. I was wondering what I would need to do to get rid of Linux and reformat back to Windows XP. I read around, but it seems that I have gotten no help, fdisk is absolutely useless. All I have is the Linux bootable CD, as well as the Compaq Recovery CD, any help would be appreciated greatly!

It sounds as though you have completely erased your Windows partition when you installed Linux. Since your computer came with a recovery CD and not a Windows installation CD, it's likely that you've also erased the recovery data that simply "resets" Windows rather than installs it.

I'm afraid that if you have indeed removed all the necessary recovery data, you will not be able to reinstall Windows without buying a new copy.
jay84h
Tell you the truth now. Once I deleted the partitions from Linux, the computer will not load whatsoever, it just displays a black screen with a blinking cursor on the bottom. It shows "GRUB not loading.....please wait, ERROR 22"
jay84h
Understood animal, one of my friends was explaining that to me. He said that recovery cd's aren't good at all anyway because they take away the speed and such from the computer, and it wouldn't operate up to par as it should. Which is why I have a Windows XP copy so I can attempt to fully install it.
Animal
jay84h wrote:
Tell you the truth now. Once I deleted the partitions from Linux, the computer will not load whatsoever, it just displays a black screen with a blinking cursor on the bottom. It shows "GRUB not loading.....please wait, ERROR 22"

This is because you've deleted GRUB - the Linux boot manager. You now have no operating system and no master boot record, so it won't load anything. You will need to either install an operating system (Windows / Linux) or use a Live CD to be able to use your computer at all.
jay84h
I see, that's the thing I attempted to reformat Linux and it would not load at all, it came back to the same screen so im wondering if fully installing Windows XP would do the trick!
jay84h
I had just finished reformatting and installing Windows XP Professional with SP2, and everything is fine now! Smile Thanks muchly!