FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WOLVES!!!

divinitywolf
i love wolves. everything about thems amazing. anyone agree with me?
they convey emotion in their howls and there's over 20 types of wolf. it may not be much but each type is so different.
silentdae
Well that explains your name. I like wolves too, they're pretty expressive. I wish i lived in an area with wolves, but we've only got coyotes and such here. Photography is a hobby of mine and i'd love to be able to just step outside and photograph some wolves in the wild!
urangkayo
i think wolve a litle bit screamer for me Smile
TheSublime
my family used to have a dog that looked like a wolf

a very, very small, arctic wolf

he was pretty cool.
thealpha
wolves?? sound likes terrible. Isn't it?
divinitywolf
you shouldn't be afraid of wolves. they dont purposely attack humans unless they have to for some reason. There arent any wolves around in my area either. My favourite wolves are the timber wolves and although they are common they look the nicest Smile
Wolves can be very gentle. You hear in fairy tales about children being raised by wolves and actually a human was raised by wolves. She was discovered in the jungle and was practically like a wild animal. So if wolves were so viscious and terrible as some people make them out to be then the wolves would've just eaten the child instead of raising it. i rest my case... wolves are amazing!
Rico
statement retracted
ashen
Wolves!
I like them! They're so cool and so cute. I really want to have a couple of them. But it's very impossible isn't it?
I like wolves which have a pure white fur.

Several years ago my mother have a dog that looks like a wolf. Maybe it's a Husky or a Hybrid.
akshar
Quote:
Your name too contains wolf !I like wolves.
wolves are nice and cool.I was told by a officer from wild life century that they are from the family of dogs only.They will disturb others only if they are hungry or some one disturbs them.We hav big dog which looks like wolf.
all other dogs are afraid to fight with it.you can make wolf your Pet but see that it is under your guidance since its birth
divinitywolf
I dont think its fair to keep a wolf as a pet. Please dont! Wolves belong in the wild. I mean how would you like to be permenantly kept at home away from all your friends and not to have the freedom of being able to go out anywhere. Its cruel. Wolves deserve to run free and howl at the moon, being with their family and friends.
Captain Fertile
Wolves are wonderful creatures, I think we can all pretty much appreciate that.

Mystical, beautiful, dangerous, caring, social and whole bunch of other words besides.

I sometimes wonder though if maybe they are made out to be more aggressive on TV than they really are.

If a pack of wolves came across you in a forest would they choose to attack you or are they more likely to detect you and AVOID you long before you even knew they were there?

Just like any dogs I can imagine how dangerous they are as a predator but I just wonder whether they would choose fight or flight when they come across a lone human in their territory.

One final question, or maybe it is two questins, maybe three Shocked , anyway -

I the Alpha male dies (or is ousted - do the pack constantly compete for the alpha position or does ther Alpha male have to die to be ousted?) does the Alpha female take charge or does she simply become mate to the new Alpha male right away? Or is this question too simplistic?
woundedhealer
I love wolves. The wolf is also my animal guide.

The alpha male can be challenged by another male. They doen't start fighting straight away. First comes all the posturing and if the challenger doesn't back down when the alpth goes through a dominance act, they will fight.

A strong leader who looks after his pack is not so likely to be challenged. If it's weak, and the alpha female thinks the challenger would be a better leader, she may side with him.

It's not in packs best interest to have the alpha male involved in fights. The pack is only as strong as it's leader, and if he gets wounded whilst seeing the challenger off, it would be to the detriment of the pack.
Captain Fertile
woundedhealer wrote:
I love wolves. The wolf is also my animal guide.

The alpha male can be challenged by another male. They doen't start fighting straight away. First comes all the posturing and if the challenger doesn't back down when the alpth goes through a dominance act, they will fight.

A strong leader who looks after his pack is not so likely to be challenged. If it's weak, and the alpha female thinks the challenger would be a better leader, she may side with him.

It's not in packs best interest to have the alpha male involved in fights. The pack is only as strong as it's leader, and if he gets wounded whilst seeing the challenger off, it would be to the detriment of the pack.

Thank you very much for the most informative and concise reply. It answered everything I wanted to know. Very Happy
woundedhealer
Quote:
Thank you very much for the most informative and concise reply. It answered everything I wanted to know.

Did I also mention I'm psychic? Smile Anyway, I'm glad I could help. I've always had dogs, which of course evolved from wolves. I've read a lot on dog psychology and watched programs on wolves and noticed the similarities. I've seen some wolves in real life, and they really are beautiful animals. At Longleat, U.K. you can drive very close to them. I've also seen them in a sanctuary in Scotland. Just beautiful - and lazy.
ashen
divinitywolf wrote:
I dont think its fair to keep a wolf as a pet. Please dont! Wolves belong in the wild. I mean how would you like to be permenantly kept at home away from all your friends and not to have the freedom of being able to go out anywhere. Its cruel. Wolves deserve to run free and howl at the moon, being with their family and friends.

Of course I'll let them free. I'll only give them name and collar that contain transmission signal, so I can track them. I like to hear they howl and they wild life.
alissavb
I love wolves! My bedroom used to be completely wolf themed, lol. Then we remodeled. But I still love wolves! They're beautiful and mysterious, and I wish I could have one. Lol. :p
wolf_wonders
I LOVE WOLVES Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I'm sure you could tell that from my name!

I'm going to be a vet and when I retire I'm going to open a wolf sanctuary! It will be my life!! Exclamation Very Happy

I guess that answered your question! Razz
gtherockgod
I know what you mean, I've got so much wolf stuff around my house. Strange, considering im a cat person Razz
rheanna
Wolves are gorgeous creatures just like Bengal tigers ;o)
crimson_aria
The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "wolf" is that it's scary. I don't know, perhaps because of stories I read since I was a kid.
thealpha
wolves, seems very terrible
Annush_K
Wolves have been my love of life for several years now. My wolf fandom is about 7 years old so far :3 I love them for their intellect and beauty. You could never meet a smarter predator.
Never thought having a wolf at home was a good idea. Not mentioning the fact wolf is a wild animal and would better live freely, keeping one at home is quite a problem. Wolves never get addicted to people like dogs do. They may LIKE you, but not love you, die for you etc. Also, wolves are way less social when it comes to unknown people/animals and may be quite agressive. I wouldn't advice having one just as a pet. However, I have a dream to work in scientific research veterinary institute, and would happily study wolves' life if possible :3 Too much love 'em, hehe.
TEACHNLAUGH
i OWNED A WOLF- 97% AND 3% GERMAN SHEPHERD. BEAUTIFUL, LOYAL, HARMLESS TO PEOPLE, SHY, SUBMISSIVE, UNHAPPY PENT UP.

HER NAME WAS SASHA - SHE RAN OFF WITH ANOTHER DOG 18 YEARS AGO. Crying or Very sad
Shewolf
Wolves.. amazing creatures, which I have always loved.
I don't think I would like to "own" one, because they are free creatures, and have to be so, but to get to know one would be great.
Last year I was lucky to meet one, but it was a typical mixed experience as it happened in a zoo. The area they had to move and live in was huge, but still. Anyway, I got some great pictures of it Very Happy
kazoe
yeah, i think they are cool ^^
roboguyspacedude
wolves are cool. They are a major animal in The Wheel of Time. They have amazing eyes and they have wonderful fur.
thealpha
yes, i think wolves are cool, but they are cute too
Jakob [JaWGames]
Wolves are indeed great animals Smile
standready
Wolves are an interesting animal. There is a preserve/park about 60 miles from where I live. They do a good job of educating the public. Very handsome creature.
secondeye
Go damnit ... The wolves are So Beautifull I like them very much Guys... I like the White One with big canons. There are still too many people in this world who hate wolves. Most would change their minds, if they could share my experience. One must understand the wolf in the wild to truly appreciate the animal. We humans judge wolves by our own standards. However, in their own world, up there in the high arctic where human standards are sparse, this wolf pack can maybe teach us think about their species in a different way. By sharing the life of this pack that I have had the extreme privilege of knowing, I hope I can help other people to see the wolf for what it is: One more magnificent species, superbly adapted to contend with it's harsh environment, and highly deserving of our understanding and acceptance.

Well the emotions Of wolves The sound the thrilling Way of Walking.. all that r Too unique than otehr animals... Well i just Saw it When I was In Iran And shifting From our Small Town Memon to Tehran Where i Saw a man selling a Baby Wolve Well From that day i had a wish to Pet one.. Wink
Drawingguy
I shoot wolves when they come on my property. Damn cattle snatchers.

Nah, I wouldn't do that. I don't even live remotely near a farm. Or a wolf for that matter. One question I've always had, though. Can a wolf and a dog interbreed to create fertile offspring? Because when I was little, I saw the disney Balto, and I think that his mom was a wolf. But if they were different species, Balto should have been infertile. But yet, in Balto II, he had a daughter. Makes one think. Of course, I'm speculating on the scientific accuracy of Disney.
BretzelthePretzel
I LOVE WOLVES!!!!!! I have this really neat book about them and its interesting how intelligent they are. There are golden eyes are rather unnerving though...oh well they're awesome! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bluezone
Bravo! wolfs are So great and Hugh I love them to have one But a man In a Coty can't Pet thse kind Of animals Confused I Mostly saw Them In Zoos and think Of Touching her , indeed theres a big fear beside it then When ever thay caught our hand It Will Turn In to Bleed..
alissavb
I absolutely love wolves. My whole bedroom used to have a wolf theme. They are beautiful animals, and I think my favorite type is the Timber wolf as well. Smile Have you seen the show "Man Among Wolves"? I think they show it on the National Geographic channel. It's awesome, I want to meet that guy. Wink
abyssclan
Wolves are beautiful...
IronWolf87
wolves are awsome!
Rico
TEACHNLAUGH wrote:
i OWNED A WOLF- 97% AND 3% GERMAN SHEPHERD. BEAUTIFUL, LOYAL, HARMLESS TO PEOPLE, SHY, SUBMISSIVE, UNHAPPY PENT UP.

HER NAME WAS SASHA - SHE RAN OFF WITH ANOTHER DOG 18 YEARS AGO. Crying or Very sad

You have Caps Lock on. Very Happy
Rico
IronWolf87 wrote:
wolves are awsome!

Freaking crazy avatar man. Eight bit rules!
sonicsight
Wolves arent really cool, either for a pet. but i assure you cats anddogs are just fine. they actualy take themselves into comfortable spots and do not bother.
balticJay
must admit i don't know much about them but my friend loves them and gave me this link http://www.elyminnesota.com/content/view/46/39/ if anyones interested in it Very Happy
Shewolf
Drawingguy wrote:
I shoot wolves when they come on my property. Damn cattle snatchers.

Nah, I wouldn't do that. I don't even live remotely near a farm. Or a wolf for that matter. One question I've always had, though. Can a wolf and a dog interbreed to create fertile offspring? Because when I was little, I saw the disney Balto, and I think that his mom was a wolf. But if they were different species, Balto should have been infertile. But yet, in Balto II, he had a daughter. Makes one think. Of course, I'm speculating on the scientific accuracy of Disney.

First of all my heart did nearly stop there for some seconds Laughing And yes, of course dogs and wolves can make perfect little puppies, they are very close related after all. Dogs are just tamed, and modified wolves after all Wink
divinitywolf
i followed that link and wolf watch! Its great and interesting.
Wolves do get the bad rap from farmers and people because of myths and because they kill animals and sometimes humans.
They dont bother to understand the reason, they just look at them in a bad light.
woundedhealer
Quote:
Can a wolf and a dog interbreed to create fertile offspring?

It's usual for a hybrid animal to be infertile but dog/wolf crosses aren't. Hybrids are mated in the same way as dog breeds are - in order to perfect required characteristics.
Crazy_Canuck
I live in Canada (Ontario) and one of the coolest things in the world is an event held in one of our provincial parks, Algonquin Park, called a "wolf howl." Maybe other places do this too, but Algonquin is very famous for it. This is a huge protected area with approximately 35 wolf packs in it.

In the late summer/fall, you can spend time overnight on a camping trip in the wilderness and--led by a guide--head out to near where the packs are known to be, engage in "howling" (yes, really) for the wolves. If you are lucky (about 85% of the time), you will hear, off in the distance, wolves howling back.

It is almost unheard of to actually see the wolves in this park. They are elusive and shy creatures. But their howling is so evocative as an essential source of communication between the packs, and also--during the "wolf howls"--with humans.

Deep in the forests of Ontario, with a bright moon shining off of the deep black lakes and a canopy of stars above you, listening to the wolves howl ... it is a deeply spiritual, moving experience and helps you recognize the power and beauty of the universe.
roboguyspacedude
A lady a few streets away used to have a wolf as a pet. I guess it died though.