FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much to charge for a CMS?

ncwdavid
Hey, Some guy wants me to do a custom CMS for his site which is not up yet but will be soon. Its a gaming site. He wants an admin area where he can easily say who won or lost the matches, who is on what team, a place where he can add news, player of the week and all the stuff on your normal gaming site. He wants it done in a week if possible. If i spend like 4-6 hours a day on it how much should i charge him? The site is being professionally designed so it needs to be good. Any one know what i should charge?
mariohs
I'll give you my personal opinion. You should read others opinions also before you make your decision.

If you are going to charge him for a cms development, you have to make sure some things, such as:

Your cms must be better (which means more secure, faster, reliable, easier to manage) than the other free options that are around here, like Xoops, Drupal, Joomla!, etc. Your cms must be as hack proof as possible, faster, and the most important: it must be very easy to administrate.

If there are no suitable cms options around, you should then create one and charge for exactly what your customer wants (don't forget that Wordpress new version (2.1) has the option to set a fixed homepage, which makes it easier to handle as a cms too).

Finally, I think you should charge for service, not by development... there's some differences between them. Do exactly what your customer wants and charge for it. I doesn't matter if you use your time configuring a ready to use cms or developing a new one. Charge for the time you will spend on it.

About values? Well I'm not good dealing with numbers... I'm not a web professional.
manum
dude cost depends on the features...........
mikethm
I don't think you are writing a new CMS, are you?

My guess is that you are being paid to do a customised installation of an open source CMS with the necessary extensions to do whatever the guy want the website to be able to do?

After all, I don't see a need to write a new CMS( not to mention it is not possible to write one which is relatively stable in just a matter of weeks.). Existing CMS already can support what your customer is asking for.

That said, you are just doing a custom installation of an opensource CMS right?

A few hundred bucks( with additional future support not factored in... pay as he go) would be fine? Perhap you should look at what other designers are getting paid...
raver
For a custom cms written from scratch i would charge about 1500 euros.
But it's impossible to write a cms from zero in a week Smile
[FuN]goku
raver wrote:

A. I think thats a bit too expensive as php nuke u can get it for $12 or even free if u get the other ones. i would say along the lines of $50- $400 Depending on what it has.

B. Nothing is impossible! Razz
raver
Reply to A: it's not at all expensive when you are making a STARTING FROM ZERO cms. You probably don't realize how much work gets put into one of them.

Reply to B: With initial code writing, testing, debugging, rewriting code testing again, and countless new ideeas from the client, trust me. It's impossible to do it in a week. Try doing it first, and let's talk afterwards Smile
[FuN]goku
raver wrote:
Reply to A: it's not at all expensive when you are making a STARTING FROM ZERO cms. You probably don't realize how much work gets put into one of them.

Reply to B: With initial code writing, testing, debugging, rewriting code testing again, and countless new ideeas from the client, trust me. It's impossible to do it in a week. Try doing it first, and let's talk afterwards Smile

well im not really skilled with php so i know i wouldnt do it in a week so..
and tbh.... if i were to make one i would do it for free and release it to the public cuz im a nice guy Very Happy
fadirocks
if you're building an online store with tons of features then about $2000
if just simple CMS with news some boring info $500
so range $500 to $2000 depends on features also support if provided or not
mikethm
[FuN]goku wrote:
raver wrote:

A. I think thats a bit too expensive as php nuke u can get it for $12 or even free if u get the other ones. i would say along the lines of $50- $400 Depending on what it has.

B. Nothing is impossible! Razz

Nothing is impossible yes. It is possible to write a relatively stable and secured CMS in 1 week yes. That is... if you have the resources of somebody like say, Bill Gates.
qscomputing
I wasn't aware Bill Gates had the resources to build anything that was stable and secure.
/ducks
snowboardalliance
Ok, he is not building a CMS like the other ones available obviously, a simple php site that can do what he just said could be done in 1 week for anyone with php experience. So I would probably agree on charging around $500, assuming it's exactly what he wants and it works. More or less depending on how good it is.
roboguyspacedude
I would think probably 20 dollars would be a good price. A CMS is fairly easy to write so I can't cost too much, but the ones currently available for purchase (ie PHP-NUKE) suck, so if this is a good one you could probably charge up to 50. Then again, there is no way to get a fully bugfree CMS done in a week.