FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MP3 compressor

marixworld
Since my Nokia 6630 is still locked until this day, i decided to use as an mp3 player and a digital camera. but the problem is, my memory card is small, 32 mb, and there's no exact model of that memory card is around in our locality. I'm wondering if there's a software that can compress mp3 with still the same quality as the original. anybody please? please share the name of the program and where can i posibbly download it? your help will be greatly appreciated.
Animal
mp3 is a lossy compression - this means that when you convert a track to mp3, a lot of the original data is lost. Even if you re-convert an mp3 from 128Kbps to 320Kbps, you will still lose quality because "information" about the audio track will be removed.

The best way to create a smaller-size audio track without losing more quality than you need to is to re-rip the track from the CD. You should check what other formats your Nokia 6630 supports - at bitrates lower than 128Kbps, mp3 is quite poor quality. Better alternatives would be wma (you can convert CDs to this with Windows Media Player) or m4a (which you can use iTunes to convert).
qscomputing
If you're just wanting to listen on the bus, low bitrate MP3 is probably OK.

OTOH, try Ogg Vorbis, although you're unlikely to find hardware that can play it without any software, because it's not popular enough. Shame, really.
Shin
Mp3 is already a compressed form of data. It's won't compress further with normal compresser or zip. Unless you want to re-encode it with lower bitrate Mp3. For example 128Kbit to 96Kbit.
tony
yah. the above posts are correct. if you re-encode w/ mp3, you will lose data. flac n wav are the big two lossless codecs but i doubt your phone will play either and in both cases mp3 will be smaller. so i suggest you use a program, like the free foobar, to re-encode at lower mp3 bitrate.