FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About WinXP Home Edition

marixworld
we are using windows XP home edition and i seem to believe there is something wrong with it. Somtimes it suddenly freezes, sometimes it's very slow. I am installing it on a Pentium D computer with 512 of DDR Memory, how come my computers acts that way? is it with the operating system?
woodenbrick
How long has XP being installed?
Was it running fine to begin with?
Are you running any particular programs when it freezes?
DO you have Antivirus and Spyware software installed?
Your hardware is fine for running XP.
lukeropro
Try asking for help on the microsoft website. There might be some clues there.
Hogwarts
marixworld wrote:
we are using windows XP home edition and i seem to believe there is something wrong with it. Somtimes it suddenly freezes, sometimes it's very slow. I am installing it on a Pentium D computer with 512 of DDR Memory, how come my computers acts that way? is it with the operating system?

Does it have anything to do with the software being 32 bit and running on a 64 bit computer? That could cause problems.. I think..

Bah.

lukeropro wrote:
Try asking for help on the microsoft website. There might be some clues there.

I phoned Microsoft for support one time.. You're better off asking a beaver for help..
Shin
Maybe it's infected by viruses?? I have XP home, I never experience what you said there.
mikethm
marixworld wrote:

Nah I don't think it is the OS. 512MB DDR and Pentium D is sufficent to power Windows XP Home.

What sort of softwares and hardwares do you have on this system?

Windows XP home is just as stable as Windows XP Pro. They are practically the same thing.

In addition, do you have your systems linked by networking? If so, you should check if you need to tweak the settings in the registries as sometimes network search and updating may slow down the responses of your systems.

If all else, do a clean installation.
ORVAL
Several possible reasons:
- You have some spyware/adware/vruses which are consuming your processor ressources.

A good adware removal free tool is : http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
If you do not have any antivirus try this free one

AVAST antivirus (free for home use)
http://www.avast.com

- your disk is over fragmented. It means that most of your files are splitted into trunks around your hard disk space which makes it longer to retrieve or write files from the disk.

You must defragment it using the Builtin defragmenter of XP or another one like Perfectdisk
http://www.raxco.com/

- you may use a tool like TuneUp : I use it and it optimizes my memory and registry. I run XP Pro on a 6 y old PC, PIII 800, end 375 MB of mem, without problems
webbone
I'm run xp home is good,I have use it two years ago!@You need reinstall the system ,I think so!
icedrakon
for 2 years if install many programs and do a lot of thinks your registry is filling up.. You can use a good registry cleaner like first aid or a
fresh install of your operating system.
you can also try to di-activate your system restore the recovery console
for better perfomance or remove software
corey
This might sound a bit silly, but why not put your ear down by the computer's case and listen for the fans. If your CPU fan or power supply fan aren't working, you could be getting the slowdowns and freezes due to overheating. If so, get a replacement fan as soon as you can because your machine will eventually stop working.
mOrpheuS
corey wrote:
put your ear down by the computer's case

It might also be a good idea to make sure you're not in direct contact with the ground when you do that. Wink