FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Carnivorous Plants

miacps
Hey, this is my first post so thought I'd kick it off with one of my favorite things, growing CPs!

Heres some Nepenthes (also known as tropical pitcher plants) that I grow:

Heres N. rafflesiana snacking on some ants.

N. x ventrata

and N. sanguinea!

Anyone else out there grow CPs?

Smile
SyncM
No not growing them but like them. In sweden one plant house discover a mice in one of them and all the hair had been melt. But i like also the drosea family that active cath animals.
silentdae
Awesome! I've been thinking about buying some carnivorous plants but i really have no place to keep them since i live in an apartment. I do have a balcony but that's probably not good enough.
thealpha
The plant are nice. I like them very much
miacps
If you have a sunny balcony you could probably grow some Nepenthes or Drosera (sundews). As long as you pick a Nep that will like your climate, it shouldn't be too hard.

Heres some more photos of some of my plants:

Heres a close up of a beetle feeding off nectar on my N. x ventrata.(later became a victim of the plant)

Contents of the pitcher.

Every now and then I'll find a lizard that got too close to one of my Venus Flytraps.

Heres a sundew native to Australia, Drosera burmanii.

And last but not least, my Red Dragon flytrap. Smile
miacps
SyncM wrote:
No not growing them but like them. In sweden one plant house discover a mice in one of them and all the hair had been melt. But i like also the drosea family that active cath animals.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that. Its rare but sometimes larger species of Nepenthes will catch mice in the wild or in cultivation. Usually the mouse is looking for water, falls in the pitcher and can't climb out.

I really want to get some of the giant pitchering species but don't have any of them yet. Very Happy

Some guy did an experiment to see how much a tropical pitcher plant could digest by placing a fish inside the pitcher. Many months later after the pitcher had dried, he cut it open and everything have been disolved and absorbed by the plant, even the bones.
noromyxo
Hey Jeremy, I found your site really useful! I was going to ask whether carnivorous plants survive in tropical countries but I your site just went ahead and answered that for me.

I'd just like to ask though, whether having plants like these might be harmful to the balance of the ecosystem. I mean, I remember my teacher telling me that ants do have their uses and I'm concerned that introducing a carnivorous plant where there was none before might be harmful to the insect population or something.

Thanks!
miacps
noromyxo wrote:
Hey Jeremy, I found your site really useful! I was going to ask whether carnivorous plants survive in tropical countries but I your site just went ahead and answered that for me.

Glad you liked it! Very Happy

noromyxo wrote:
I'd just like to ask though, whether having plants like these might be harmful to the balance of the ecosystem. I mean, I remember my teacher telling me that ants do have their uses and I'm concerned that introducing a carnivorous plant where there was none before might be harmful to the insect population or something.

Since you live in the Philippines, you already have many naturally occuring Nepenthes species.

Growing CPs won't have a negative effect on insect population. While CPs attract and kill insects not all insects visting the plants are captured, many leave unharmed. Also, certain species have symbiotic relationships with certain insects, but this can mainly be seen with Nepenthes. Some species in time of drought will give off secretions of sugary nectar from their leaves that will actually sustain colonies of insects and help them suvive. Other insects have evolved to use Nepenthes for their own profit: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/12/cunning-spider.html .

So no carnivorous plant poses a threat to insect populations.

The only time one could harm the ecosystem is if you tried to naturalize it and then it'd become a competitor with local wildlife, so no plant should be introduced directly into the wild where it is not native, carnivorous or not.
dvanex
I used to have a venus fly trap, I fed it a large wasp and it died. I have a couple kits for sundews and venus fly traps in my house so this post is just what I needed to remind me to get started on them.
miacps
Most of the time those kits don't have very fresh seeds and seed viability can decrease quickly. Also, it'll take you around 3 years to get a flytrap thats a decent size, you may be more successful buying an already established plant from a CP nursery.

You should still give it a try though. Check out the grow guides on my site if you're confused about how to care for them and if you have any questions the guides don't address, feel free to P.M. me. Smile

Good luck!
Captain Fertile
Shocked This all looks rather interesting, I will check out your site and do some further research and maybe give it a go myself.

I will keep you informed if I go ahead and do it.

Can you suggest a good species that will do well in my cooler temprate British Western European climate? I plan to grow them inside the house if I can.

I dont have a hothouse (greenhouse) so not too sure if I will be able to grow these types of plants well.
scimitarmoon
I love carnivorous plants! I've never had one because first my parents wouldn't allow it and now that I'm in college I'm constantly moving around... but someday I would like to have some of those plants, if they can survive the climate here. I almost bought myself a tiny venus flytrap last Christmas, but at the last second realized that in my apartment it wouldn't have any food and put it back.
m00tmuffin
Wow, those are really beautiful and awesome, I've never seen most of those before. I remember having Venus Fly Traps every now and then as a kid but that's about it. Gorgeous plants. Smile
pedrothelion
Heh, wow, great pics. It really got me interested, I'm gonna check out your site and do some research, I probably won't get one since funds and time are issues but these pictures picqued my interest and I want to see more Very Happy
Captain Fertile
scimitarmoon wrote:
...at the last second realized that in my apartment it wouldn't have any food and put it back.

That is a good point, in the winter when there are no flies or any insect of note about what would the plants eat?

Do they prefer tuna cat food or rabbit in jelly?

I am being funny of course when I say that but I seriously wonder what would you feed them plants on if there was a sudden shoratge of insects like in the Winter here in the united Kingdom. Are there alternatives?

Please get back to me with any species you would siggest for the British climate (I would be growing the plants indoors of course, in some form of improvised terrarium maybe. Or even a bought one if need be).

Thanks again, this subject is interesting and the plants are beautiful and quite a talking point.
miacps
Captain Fertile wrote:
Can you suggest a good species that will do well in my cooler temprate British Western European climate? I plan to grow them inside the house if I can.

One plant that should do fine outside in your climate all year long is S. purpurea ssp. purpurea also known as the Northern Purple Pitcher plant. This one occurs naturally in the northern U.S. up into Canada so freezing temperatures are no problem for this plant.

Its much easier to grow CPs outside because most are real sun lovers but a few you could try on your sunniest windowsill would be D. capensis(one of the best beginner plants), easy Nepenthes hybrids such as N. x ventrata, or Mexican Butterworts.

I'm not sure exactly how cold it gets in your climate, all Sarracenia and flytraps will tolerate light frosts, these plants don't grow well indoors though because of their high light requirements.

You should check out www.cpukforum.com . Theres lots of people from the UK there, some may even live close to you and can offer the best advice on how to grow them in your climate.

Captain Fertile wrote:
That is a good point, in the winter when there are no flies or any insect of note about what would the plants eat?

Most CPs are seasonal plants so when winter comes they go dormant and sleep until spring.

Tropical plants if kept in a terrarium or window sill can be fed one or two dried insects every month.

Light, water and soil type are the most important factors to be successful growing these plants.
Captain Fertile
Thanks for getting back to be some quicklty and with so much great advice.

I'm going to check it all out, maybe if I get a few we wont have such a fly problem in our house during the summer. Smile
TheSublime
I've always kind of wanted a fly trap, but I don't think I'd be able to take care of it
miacps
TheSublime wrote:
I've always kind of wanted a fly trap, but I don't think I'd be able to take care of it

If you have a sunny back yard and can manage to fill your fly trap's water saucer every couple of days then thats about all the care it needs.

Heres a pic from a couple days ago. This is the largest pitcher my N. sanguinea has put out at over 6 inches. I'm not sure exactly how big this species' pitchers get but I love the orangy-red color.

Cool
m_furquan36
wow these look pretty cool.
Daisie
miacps wrote:

One plant that should do fine outside in your climate all year long is S. purpurea ssp. purpurea also known as the Northern Purple Pitcher plant. This one occurs naturally in the northern U.S. up into Canada so freezing temperatures are no problem for this plant.

I m very surprised, I alway thought that you needed to live in subtropical types of climates to grow such plants! Thanks for the info, I will dig into all this and try to grow one... Smile
miacps
I've been playing with this Nikon coolpix 4100 so now I should be able to take much higher quality images.

Heres a couple of close ups that I took recently:

The Cape Sundew flower.

Drosera burmannii.

Drosera paradoxa trap.

I'm lovin' this camera! Very Happy
Daisie
Stunning pictures! Are you going to run a web site about thoses plants?
Your Drosera paradoxa trap pic is trully amazing.
miacps
Yep! I'm still working on it, but the basics are done. Theres some grow guides and a gallery where you can see the pics I've posted and a few more. Check it out at http://miacps.frih.net/ . Smile
jaranda98
Love plants that eat meat! How many carnivorous plant are there in the world?

miacps wrote:
Hey, this is my first post so thought I'd kick it off with one of my favorite things, growing CPs!

N. x ventrata

and N. sanguinea!

Smile
Captain Fertile
Those close-up pictures are superb - you are a talented still-life photogtrapher as well as plant keeper.
miacps
Thanks! Smile

jaranda98 wrote:
Love plants that eat meat! How many carnivorous plant are there in the world?

Theres well over a thousand species, though i'm not sure of an exact number.

New species are discovered each year as well. Just recently a new Nepenthes species was discovered in North Sumatra, Indonesia.

Heres a pic of Roridula dentata that I just managed to sprout.

It may not look like much now but in the wild larger plants have been known to snare birds, though unintentionally.

This plant also has a symbiotic relationship with an insect known as an assassin bug. In the wild it catches a large volume of insects on its sticky leaves which the assassin bugs eat, then the bug excretes a mineral rich substance onto the plant's leaves that the plant absorbs and benefits from. Because of this some people prefer to classify this plant as semi-carnivorous. Smile
driftingfe3s
Whoa that pitcher plant looks preety sweet. I had some venus fly traps myself back when I was in junior high school. I died though, I guess I didn't water it enough.
cmfi_germany
[quo]Hey, this is my first post so thought I'd kick it off with one of my favorite things, growing CPs!

N. x ventrata

and N. sanguinea!

Smile[]

WOWOWOWOWo, are all these plants Carnivore?
grgrgr.##

Well, that΄s the nature
alissavb
Whoa, those are so cool! Carnivorous plants (as well as piranhas) have always fascinated me. Could those plants harm a human if they were to stick their finger into one of them? I think I saw on TV once a person who stuck their finger into one of those Venus Flytraps and it didn't do anything... it's weird how it'll kill a lizard but won't harm a human's finger. Razz
miacps
alissavb wrote:
Whoa, those are so cool! Carnivorous plants (as well as piranhas) have always fascinated me. Could those plants harm a human if they were to stick their finger into one of them? I think I saw on TV once a person who stuck their finger into one of those Venus Flytraps and it didn't do anything... it's weird how it'll kill a lizard but won't harm a human's finger. Razz

Yeah, piranhas are pretty cool. Very Happy

No CP could harm a human because they're all trappers. If you're the size of a fly though, watch out! Wink

I'm thinking the lizards that I've seen caught in my flytraps had to be pretty stupid(or weak). They'd have to wait there long enough for the plant to fully clamp down on them and seal the trap which would take about a minute.

What a horrible way to die though, trapped, drowned and digested by a flytrap.. Not talking