FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apache/php running too slowly

rohan2kool
I signed up for this dataone broadband service from BSNL which included the installation a UTStarcom router. Since I've installed the router, i've seen that apache/php combination is running too slowly on my home computer. When i access phpBB3 via http://localhost/, earlier the gentime used to be around 0.02-0.03 seconds but now it is showing gentimes of 2-3 seconds.. that is an actual 100 times increase..

i don't mean the problem is the router only.. it could very well be something else.

when i access directory indices or plain files using apache.. it is mighty fast.. it's only when there's some cgi involved, that things get extremely slow.

please help.. debugging has become extremely tiresome for me.
kv
Try disconnecting your router and hitting localhost. If it is fast without router, then it means there is a network issue. Probably some network resolution is taking time because of some improper configuration. Also try your IP address instead of localhost. Check apache access logs. It might give some clue.
rohan2kool
yup.. that is the culprit. When i unlinked my router and also uninstalled the drivers.. it was running as fast as it used to prior to the router installation.

now.. what could be the problem?
qscomputing
...the router?

Is your PC configured to use a proxy, or to go through the router for all connections? Try telling it not to use the proxy or router for localhost.
rohan2kool
qscomputing wrote:
...the router?

Is your PC configured to use a proxy, or to go through the router for all connections? Try telling it not to use the proxy or router for localhost.

could you explain that.. or maybe you could guide me to some resources.. cause i have no idea what that meant.
kv
When you have a router connected, your machine may be trying to route all the network connections through the router. It means that even the http connection to the same machine goes through the router and is as good as connecting from some other machine altogether. If this is the case, it must be reconfigured to bypass router for localhost addresses.

But doesnt' look like that is the case, considering that only CGI requests are slow. Check your php.ini and php/apache logs for any network calls which might be taking time.
rohan2kool
kv wrote:
When you have a router connected, your machine may be trying to route all the network connections through the router. It means that even the http connection to the same machine goes through the router and is as good as connecting from some other machine altogether. If this is the case, it must be reconfigured to bypass router for localhost addresses.

But doesnt' look like that is the case, considering that only CGI requests are slow. Check your php.ini and php/apache logs for any network calls which might be taking time.

nope.. now all connections are taking time... even directory listings by apache i.e non-CGI operations. Could you please tell me how to go about reconfiguring my machine to bypass the router.
rohan2kool
i've got a hint with me... apache works fast when i'm not downloading anything else... like when utorrent is on, apache works damn slow. It is difficult for me to digest that apache works slow due to the network being busy. I hope this is a hint for you... please help...
kv
Check your machine configuration. Also, check the memory and cpu usage. It may be just that your torrent client or some other process may be taking too much memory/cpu time, which may be causing your apache run slow.