FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Diane Ackerman

leaningforward
My favorite writer is Diane Ackerman, here are some of her quotes....

We live on the leash of our senses.

There is no way in which to understand the world without first detecting it through the radar-net of our senses.

Look at your feet. You are standing in the sky. When we think of the sky, we tend to look up, but the sky actually begins at the earth.
icon
I adored A Natural History of the Senses. I was beginning to think nobody ever even heard of Diane Ackerman! We studied her technique in Creative Writing, something like how to write prose through poetry, through the use of the senses. Smile

Thanks for the quotes you posted, leaningforward. And thank you for starting this topic! Cool
leaningforward
icon wrote:
I adored A Natural History of the Senses. I was beginning to think nobody ever even heard of Diane Ackerman! We studied her technique in Creative Writing, something like how to write prose through poetry, through the use of the senses. Smile

Thanks for the quotes you posted, leaningforward. And thank you for starting this topic! Cool

Natural history if the senses should be looked at in schools. It's a classic. That's great that you looked at it. I also love A Natural History of Love which is also a fascinating read. Anyone who is curious about her would be interested to know that she was officially being considered to be the first artist in space. She was going to write poems about the earth from the atmospere. Unfortunately it didn't work out but she would have been perfect!
varon
I like Diane Ackerman too. I read a few chapters of A Natural History of Love -- her writing definitely leaves one's senses assaulted with a power so blissful, passionately intelligent, even spiritual. You're right, she should be included in every English curriculum. Very Happy

She should have been the first artist in space? Dang, that would have been awesome! I read somewhere that if poets were sent to space, the way we perceive the universe would be very, VERY different... or something more poetically rendered than that. Very Happy The poetic imagination, of course, is more preferable to scientific accounts that are too technical it leaves one dry, but I'm digressing. Razz [Can anyone point me to the quote? Smile]