FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

condoms under lock and key?

leaningforward
OK this is going a little too far....
Quote:

"Condoms are proving such an attractive target for shoplifters, according to Phoenix's Arizona Republic, that some stores are putting them in locked display cases that require a customer to call a clerk for help. However, as an official of the Arizona Public Health Association pointed out, condoms are a purchase that consumers choose to make in low profile. A spokesperson for a condom maker mentioned a recent incident in a CVS pharmacy in which a clerk, assisting a customer, shouted several times, "Who's got the key to the condoms?" [Arizona Republic, 12-20-06]"
Captain Fertile
Yeah, people are so embarresed about asking for them they have to steal them. Do they ever stop to wonder how they would feel if they were caught stealing condoms? Has to be ten times more embarressing.

The thing that stopped me being embarresed was to remember that when you buy them you are are not ebing sleazy but practical and you are basically saying to anyone who sees you, "Someone thinks I am so great they want to have sex with me!"
deStructuralized
I don't think people are stealing them because they're embarassed. I think they're probably stealing them because they want to be safe but the damn things are pretty expensive all things considered.

I'd much rather have people steal condoms than have our population problem get even worse.
Daisie
Quote:
I'd much rather have people steal condoms than have our population problem get even worse.

Or worse.. Aids is still around and so is many other nasty illnesses. Most of my friends who have teenages kids have bought some and given them to their kids with the warning "use it or else!"
but I agree with you deStructuralized...
Rico
Statement retracted
ibay
for me, getting caught stealing condoms is more embarassing than asking for them from a shopkeeper no matter how many people are present
violetgnu
Bahaha. They aren't that embarassing to buy. Just pick up a few other items. Like duct tape, whipped cream, and a few rolls of film Wink
gluingquarters
I think kids steal condoms just for a thrill, to be honest. If you need free condoms, go down to the health department or, in many places, to gay bars or student bars. The health department is the mecca for free condoms.

Condoms are, I guess, embarrassing to buy for some--my fiancee and I always buy them together, usually along with a pregnancy test and some tampons, and we are rarely bothered by it.
Azmo
what's the problem? realy? girls spend money on their stuff, why shouldnt we? buy condoms!

girls buy tampons, their sperm killing pills and stuff.. why do we have to be so cheap?
GSIS
I'll never forget the first time I bought condoms. I went into the chemists, waiting patiently until there was only me and the lady behind the counter, and asked - almost in a whisper - for a packet of Durex. In the meantime the shop had filled up and the lady shouted to the pharmacist in the back room "How much are the Durex Extra Safe?" Embarassed

Yes - buying condoms can be embarrassing, but going to an STD clinic is even more so (so they tell me) Wink
xorcist
There might be less people purchasing condoms if they have to go and ask someone for the key to get a condom. I rather go and buy them instead of getting caught stealing them imagine getting arrested for stealing a condom that's going to be real embarassing.
rein
Stealing out of embarrassment? That's odd. Why not get them by mail order? Or out of those vending machine things in toilets?
I agree with Captain Fertiles argument; Having someone to have sex with is a thing to be quite proud of indeed.
And personally, just between us; i've had to buy more embarrassing things at the chemist. Ohyes.
Sadow
Laughing
In the Netherlands there was a commercial on TV, where a guy buys condoms in a supermarket, and there's no price on them. The girl behind the desk shouts very loud to the other side of the room: ""TINA, WAS KOSTEN DIE CONDOMEN??" (that's german btw), hahah!!
Lamppis
That won't happen at finland. Smile
silvermesh
I don't have any trouble paying for the things, but if i go somewhere to buy condoms and they're under lock and key I just go somewhere else.
it's a pain to try and find someone to unlock it for you, and my work schedule means it's usually pretty late at night if I'm shopping, so there are less employees there overall. I'll just go somewhere that they aren't hard to buy.
Sadow
silvermesh wrote:
I don't have any trouble paying for the things, but if i go somewhere to buy condoms and they're under lock and key I just go somewhere else.
it's a pain to try and find someone to unlock it for you, and my work schedule means it's usually pretty late at night if I'm shopping, so there are less employees there overall. I'll just go somewhere that they aren't hard to buy.

Hmmm, am I wrong Silvermesh? but you are a woman right?
In my opinion you should have the men dating you buy them...

Anyways, I don't care where I need to buy them or under any circumstances. I just ask for a box of condoms and I am not even reluctant to ask for strawberry flavor if my woman wants it. Of course it's easier to buy food or something like that, but if I need them then I need them.
Azmo
must say that I love beeing in a steady relatuionship and my gf eating pils to prevent pregnancy.. I do have a whole box of condoms, a few thousand.. but never need them tnx to her pils.. anyways I got alot of them from a friend (who is gay) he is in rfsl (called that in sweden) it's like "the company for sexual equality" or something for homosexual people.. they hand out free condoms to their members so he always got loads.. just taking a bunch whenever I'm visiting him Smile
driftingfe3s
Well they are expensive thats for sure.
jenice
The younger set I would imagine feel a bit embarrassed to be seen buying them.

Here where I live any young person can go down to the local clinic and get an entire lunch sack full of them for free.

Having said that though, I had no idea those were available to get until I myself had gone down there to have a test done.

Perhaps better solution would be improving education as to the not only of the intricacies of it all, but the resources available for young singles.
missdixy
Yeah, that'd definitely be intimidating. Here in my part of Texas, there are a lot of stores where you have to ask for the condoms because they are behind the registers. That's bad enough...imagine them being locked !! Gahhh...
Rico
GSIS wrote:
I'll never forget the first time I bought condoms. I went into the chemists, waiting patiently until there was only me and the lady behind the counter, and asked - almost in a whisper - for a packet of Durex. In the meantime the shop had filled up and the lady shouted to the pharmacist in the back room "How much are the Durex Extra Safe?" Embarassed

The same thing happened to me, I think they do it on purpose. We should have a poll.
Rico
Captain Fertile wrote:
Yeah, people are so embarresed about asking for them they have to steal them. Do they ever stop to wonder how they would feel if they were caught stealing condoms? Has to be ten times more embarressing.

Talking about being embarrassed, imagine how embarrassed you’re going to be telling your girlfriends parents that their daughter is . . . with child. Embarassed
Rico
Azmo wrote:
must say that I love beeing in a steady relatuionship and my gf eating pils to prevent pregnancy.. I do have a whole box of condoms, a few thousand.. but never need them tnx to her pils.. anyways I got alot of them from a friend (who is gay) he is in rfsl (called that in sweden) it's like "the company for sexual equality" or something for homosexual people.. they hand out free condoms to their members so he always got loads.. just taking a bunch whenever I'm visiting him Smile

You can’t store them for too long though, latex loses molecular integrity with time. Be careful when the happy day of a steady chick comes dude.
missdixy
Captain Fertile wrote:
Yeah, people are so embarresed about asking for them they have to steal them. Do they ever stop to wonder how they would feel if they were caught stealing condoms? Has to be ten times more embarressing"

I think there are worse things to be caught stealing haha, like..laxatives. Or lubricant. Very Happy

Anyway, there are several convenience stores here that hold the condoms behind the register. Not with a key and lock, but you still have to ask for them.

I think this is stupid. There are plenty of people I know who will literally just not buy condoms instead of simply asking for them. Especially the younger kids having sex.
DiageoLiam
"The younger set I would imagine feel a bit embarrassed to be seen buying them.

Here where I live any young person can go down to the local clinic and get an entire lunch sack full of them for free.

Having said that though, I had no idea those were available to get until I myself had gone down there to have a test done.

Perhaps better solution would be improving education as to the not only of the intricacies of it all, but the resources available for young singles."

I totally agree 100%
jenice
DiageoLiam wrote:

Same as here. In fact you can just walk in the clinic and they have them in a fishbowl on the counter too.
Srs2388
if your embarrassed, just go to a gas station and buy a few from the machine in the bathroom?
gerpg
Yea, obviously some people are embarrased about asking for them or going to the counter. Thats quite a funny article cause i actually know someone who was snapped for stealing condoms. LMAO.

Louis.
Srs2388
i know someone who got caught stealing condoms too...
bukaida
It is always be better safe than sorry.Probably the embarrasment is due to the hypocrite environment
created around us by our socity.May be our future generation will be smart enough to ask for it like any other stationary goods.
Coclus
This is a pretty funny story you got right there... well I guess you re right if you say they go to far with that..
mikkos2000
I would venture to say there is a different reason people steal condoms. . . to re-sell them. Especially teenagers. They can not ask their parents to buy them condoms and are too scared to by them on their own. I am sure that is a big demand for condoms in high schools. Of course, I do not condone stealing. However, it may be more beneficial to wear a stolen condom then not to use one at all.
HollyK
I would probably give my (hypothetical) teens a couple of condoms, and tell them that I don't want them to have sex, but if they do, they had better be wearing one. I would also tell them that I wouldn't check for them, and if they missing I would assume "misplaced". At least that way it would limit any damage done. Prevention is a lot easier than a cure.
amicalindia
Azmo wrote:
what's the problem? realy? girls spend money on their stuff, why shouldnt we? buy condoms!

Come on man....there lies the thrill. And why just condoms? One should also think about stealing blindfolds, duct tapes, whipped cream and honey. And how about stealing handcuffs from police station?
furtasacra
violetgnu wrote:
Bahaha. They aren't that embarassing to buy. Just pick up a few other items. Like duct tape, whipped cream, and a few rolls of film Wink

You forgot the chocolate syrup! Laughing

Seriously though, condoms really are ridiculously expensive... and as for asking for them, what if you don't know whether the store has your favorite brand, or if you aren't sure what kind you want? If they're going to keep the things behind the counter, they could at least have a locked display case so people can browse and make a decision before getting to the checkout line, thus avoiding the following scenario:

Nervous teenager: "I'd like a box of condoms, please."
Bored clerk: "What brand?"
Nervous teenager: *stammers and mumbles*
Now slightly amused bored clerk: "WHAT? Speak up!"
Thoroughly embarrassed teenager: "Never mind." *scurries out of the store*

(Afterwards, somebody gets knocked up and/or catches crotch rot.)

Stupid stupid stupid... if people REALLY wanna screw, they're gonna screw. Making it inconvenient and/or humiliating to buy condoms isn't going to stop anybody from having sex, it just encourages unwanted pregnancy and the spread of disease.
carlokes
Hi there,

Well, at least people are worried about getting protected to the point of stealing Smile A good thing from some points of view. The first time i bought condoms were not for self use but to be part of a birthday joke of a great friend of mine. I went to the pharmacy with my best friend to by condoms to our friend for his b-day and everything went well until the pharmacist said "have fun Smile" and my friend thinking she confused us by homosexuals decided to say "oh these are not for us". If the woman didn't think what he thought she was thinking...then she thought Smile

Overall buy condoms and act normal. When you are able to buy condom and act normally, then you are ready to buy a playboy magazine Smile

Stay COol !!
ssthanapati
Well wen i buy those i prefer not 2 go 2 my neighborhood pharmacy. Just get it frm smewhere else where the ppl dont kno me. And who cares wat others think. They dont know me and i am never gonna meet them again neway