FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GoogleTV Beta Invite Hoax?

PatTheGreat42
I recently saw this video on AlbinoBlackSheep:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/googletv

It purports to show how one can get an invite to GoogleTV Beta through a rather strange process of sending oneself an email and then logging out and into Gmail a bunch of times. Seems like it's just too weird to me. I think it's a hoax. Anybody else have any opinions?
saratdear
I watched the video. Although it does not seem like a hoax to me, I am not too sure it would work. And I am a little pissed off at the idea of logging in and logging out of Gmail, given the fact that I have a slow internet connection.
rohan2kool
gmail with it's ~250 kb footprint can be pretty tedious to load especialyl on a dialup. since thunderbird.. i don't remember when i last logged into gmail.
madsencarl
Whoah, hold up for a second... GoogleTV?
brokenadvice
I fell victim to this one. I sat there an hour, logging in and out, still no rollover image. Crying or Very sad
erlendhg
This is really a hoax.
Just saw another video like this: http://www.break.com/index/how_to_boost_wireless_signal.html
Bondings
Yes it is a good one, it is actually so good that most people who watch it seem to believe that it is true. There is even a second video trying to prove that it isn't a hoax/joke.

But if you know a bit about how movies are being distributed over the world to all the countries, than I don't think it's hard to notice that what was shown was completely impossible in the legal aspect. Movies, series and other programs are usually licensed per country, medium and similar characteristics. That's why it isn't possible - at the moment - to provide those popular movies/series (like Prison Break which was shown in that hoax) over the internet to the whole world. Some of these movies were recently released on the internet as a test (from ABC I think), but it's only available to the country in question, it is the USA. They don't have the rights to distribute it elsewhere.
LukeakaDanish
Hahahaha...that was almost so funny it was hard to believe Mr. Green
jylan
The story on Techcrunch can be found at http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/01/28/google-tv-an-elaborate-prank/
coolclay
Yea thats pretty much really freakin funny. The best part are the people with comments saying that it took them like 1000 some times but they "finally" accessed it. And then the people that actually admit to loggin in and out 100's of times! Speaking of gmail, mine isn't working now it keeps giving me a server error, is anyone else having a similar problem.
coolclay
Nevermind its working again. Must have been all the people logging in and out lol.
LukeakaDanish
coolclay wrote:
Nevermind its working again. Must have been all the people logging in and out lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHA...I almost believe that Razz
goutha
Not a hoax...

The search giant's TV land efforts have been an evolving process, which has included the debut of a prototype earlier this year to search TV programming. Google's TV efforts were a topic of discussion on several blogs that pointed to the job posting on Google's site.
sjjGFM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny video.......
datter
Hoax, and a good one at that... obviously.
goutha
Can someone bring some evidence?
LukeakaDanish
brokenadvice wrote:
I fell victim to this one. I sat there an hour, logging in and out, still no rollover image. Crying or Very sad

Isn't that good enough evidence Wink
goutha
LukeakaDanish wrote:
brokenadvice wrote:

I want a print screen Laughing
LukeakaDanish
goutha wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
brokenadvice wrote:

I want a print screen Laughing

It's a hoax! - there is no print screen...

It's just some clever video manipulation...or maybe a client-side auto redirect for gmail...to his personally made wannabe gmail page...which links to the GoogleTV page (the way I see it)

Read what Bondings says, and consider how aggressive the MPAA are towards people "stealing" their shows online - it's not gonna happen in the foreseeable future...