FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Win XP install drop USB floppy mid-way for SATA driver

shenyl
I bought a LG notebook using Intel chipset with SATA harddisk.

It was loaded with MS Media Center Edn, and I tried to install my XP pro on the notebook.

Using F6, I was able to initially get the installation to accept the 3rd party SATA mass device driver.

But as it progress still in the text mode, it asked for Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Which is in the floppy disk.

I did some search on the internet, and saw quite a number of frustration on the F6 and dropping of the USB floppy drive.

Some suggest creating XP pro installation CD with the added USB floppy drive. But sure look messy.

Any easier solution?

With best regards.
Bones
shenyl wrote:
I bought a LG notebook using Intel chipset with SATA harddisk.

It was loaded with MS Media Center Edn, and I tried to install my XP pro on the notebook.

Using F6, I was able to initially get the installation to accept the 3rd party SATA mass device driver.

But as it progress still in the text mode, it asked for Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Which is in the floppy disk.

I did some search on the internet, and saw quite a number of frustration on the F6 and dropping of the USB floppy drive.

Some suggest creating XP pro installation CD with the added USB floppy drive. But sure look messy.

Any easier solution?

With best regards.

Unfortunatly, as far as I know, floppy is the only way to install SATA drivers for the primary hard drive in XP.

This issue has been fixed though in Vista if you are considering an upgrade. You can install the drivers from CD/DVD etc etc
shenyl
Thank you Bones, I am entitled to Vista Upgrade with my new LG notebook, but I intent still to use Windows XP professional as all my teaching materials are based on XP. I still need to try and make small earning on my teaching assignments.

Yes, Vista can wait, or will try dual booting Vista and XP pro.

There are some suggestion to customise XP installation CD with the 3rd party Intel SATA drivers, but really seem messy, I don't think I have the heart for that.

Still wait for a possible solution, I am exploring sometime now, maybe it will work.

Will report back later on my success or failure.

Thanks Bones, more suggestions please.
shenyl
I have found a suggestion on HP site on Intel chip for SATA.

I tried it and I am 100% satisfied with the solution.

Here is how to do a new install on SATA driver, if your USB floppy is not recognised during F6 for 3rd party drivers.

Go to BIOS and disable enhanced SATA - setting it to compatible mode.

This will means that installation does not need the Intel SATA driver.

You can partition, install the XP Pro.

After that, you update the SATA interface driver, and use "Have Disk" option. Force install the Intel SATA driver for the HD interface.

Reboot - go to BIOS and set the SATA to Enhanced mode.

Starts up XP pro, and you should be ok.

Anyone facing this problem can also search the HP site.

And few attempts, I am now happy with my new NB using Intel SATA driver. With best regards.