FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How long, on average, does it take you to write one post?

How long, on average, does it take you to write one post?
Less than 1 minute
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
1 - 2 minutes
33%
 33%  [ 12 ]
2 - 3 minutes
36%
 36%  [ 13 ]
3 - 5 minutes
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
5 - 7 minutes
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7 - 9 minutes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10 minutes or more
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 36

ninjakannon
I know that for most people the time it takes to write a post will probably vary hugely. However, I'm sure you can work out an average post time; I would say mine is probably about 3 or 4 minutes, perhaps longer. I've writen 1 or 2 posts which were over 1000 words in length and they took me over half an hour each. But they are pretty rare, how long does it take you?
qscomputing
Usually, I will only write for 1 minute at most. But I have made some huge posts from time to time...
Arnie
Often I edit posts when reviewing them.
ninjakannon
Arnie wrote:

Me too, Arnie; I read through everything I've written and spell check it in Microsoft Word, which adds to the time a bit.
darrenpaul
Use Google SpellCheck..waaay easier.

Normally takes me around 1-2 mins, depending on post size.
saratdear
Depends on what I am posting. For example, in the old Daily Guess A Number Game, you don't take 3-5 minutes just for guessing a number. But, on the other hand, for example, in the suggestions forum, if you are thinking about replying to a suggestion, I normally take 4-5 minutes.

I must say that you get very interesting topics to make threads on, that is quite a skill. Wink
Yjaxygames
I think less than one minute. On average. Depends on the subject. Sometimes when I read I know immediatly what to say, but sometimes I write and think, write and thikn, which takes more time. But when I already know my opinion, I can type it pretty fast and I'm done.

This post took me slightly more than 1 minute:P
nikki
Normally, I don't take that long cause I type relatively fast....
so even if I got to write a long response I probably take under 5mins...
darvit
Probably an average of 2-3 minutes on long posts.. But on short ones like these, maybe less than 2 minutes.

When I write long posts, I usually keep on hitting the preview button in order to save future edits later. Cool
Captain Fertile
I usually type my posts in word first to iron out any spelling errors - hopefully. If I am tired I sometimes skip this step.

Then I preview the post before altering errors or formatting problems and then post it.

I then usually spot something I don't like and end up editing them another couple of times (you will probably notice my posts are usually edited over and over – this is when typos tend to creep in).

Usually takes 2-3 minutes but some can take less than a minute for a quick comment but others can take a LOT longer while I carefully think what I want to say, make sure I get the wording correct and try not to put things in such a way they might be misunderstood and cause offence. This takes up quite a bit of time.
apple
About 5 mins.....

2 mins if it's a short post like this... Laughing
Seiji
It usually takes me about 2-3min. The thing that takes the longest is trying to find a topic to post in. I don't want to post in a topic where I have no knowledge of what there talking about.
Captain Fertile
apple wrote:
About 5 mins.....

2 minutes? Does your watch need a new battery? Smile
ninjakannon
Captain Fertile wrote:
apple wrote:
About 5 mins.....

Hah! I was thinking along the same lines about that one, Captain Fertile. Razz

I think it's wishful thinking on apple's behalf to be honest; I would expect something like that to take 30 seconds, possibly 45 at most (if the member isn't too much of a touch typer).
Yjaxygames
Seiji wrote:
It usually takes me about 2-3min. The thing that takes the longest is trying to find a topic to post in. I don't want to post in a topic where I have no knowledge of what there talking about.

Yes true. I have the same problem Razz There are many forums, but many forums are about things I don't know anything about. Rolling Eyes
Arnie
Also depends on your internet connection speed Razz
scimitarmoon
It depends, but I'd say on average it takes me between five and seven minutes to make a post. I like to think about what I say a lot before I actually say it, to make sure I'm really saying what I want to say instead of saying something that might not make sense. I also tend to preview several times and edit to fix errors or typos.
nilsmo
It takes me about 30 seconds - I am an experienced rapid poster (and a fast typer).
ninjakannon
nilsmo wrote:
It takes me about 30 seconds - I am an experienced rapid poster (and a fast typer).

That or you just write really short posts; remember, you can't write 100 words in 30 seconds.

EDIT: Just to say, this post took me over 1 minute. Why? Because I wrote the 1 line, made two alterations and then posted. Then I saw that I should add a comma (after "remember") and pressed edit just for that. Obviously, I decided to write this short paragraph [and spell check it] after that. (Ooo, there were no spelling mistakes. Razz)
squirrelmaster
On average I think it would be around 1-2 min of posting time, but then I edit them for about 1-2 min with the 'Preview' button, so it comes to 2-4 minutes total.
But of course, there are times when I forget to edit, or when I write real long posts, but I think 2-3 minutes is a good average, so that's what I voted for.
loryl
About two to three minutes, unless I have to look up something or if I get distracted. I've started a post and finished three hours later because I was playing a game at the time. Oooops.
java_nel
well it really depends on the topic your onto.. Basically if your a topic starter it consumes more time. But i find it fster to reply on tiopics...
divinitywolf
mines usually about 2-3 minutes because if it was any longer then i guess i would become distracted with other things as i do a lot on my computer these days Razz
tom69
less then a minute for a post of 2 frihs and 2+- minutes for a post of 4 frihs Wink
ItsWesley
How long I take on a post depnends on how interested I am in what I'm writing, it can range from a minute or so to over 5 minutes, but sometimes I start to write a post then I find I don't know what to say so I just don't post at all.
BosLady
I agree with most of you. When posting to any forum, it all depends upon the subject I am posting on. Sometimes it actually takes me less time though to post longer responses because my fingers fly when I don't need to think too much about it, for instance if it is a subject I am really knowledgeable in. Sometimes I just like to talk a lot and that may transfer to the keyboard. lol.

Like most of you said, it depends upon the subject.

Thanks,
Tiffany
Nameless
That depends on so many variables it's not even funny:

a) the length of the post.
b) the difficulty of the topic in question.
c) the research or fact checking that may or may not be required for a particular post.
d) whether I bother to spell/grammar check.
e) whether I'm especially tired / distracted / bored etc. or not.

I could probably keep going to z, and then some.
ashen
It depend on how many word that I must translate and write (I'm not a native user). But usually 3-5 minutes.
qscomputing
It does take a lot longer for non-native speakers, of which we seem to have many here.

I sometimes post in the French forum, but it takes me a while as I have to work out what I'm trying to say. But English is no problem as I just type! Smile
r_y_e_20
It takes long for me to type my post when topics interests me. Especially when i have some experience related to it.
ninjakannon
Nameless wrote:
That depends on so many variables it's not even funny

Two things:

a) It wasn't meant to be funny.
b) I did say on average, I totally understand that it depends on a whole range of things, however I've asked you to make an average.

Did you vote in the poll?

ashen wrote:
It depend on how many word that I must translate and write (I'm not a native user). But usually 3-5 minutes.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that; I know a bit of German and it would take me far longer to translate into that instead of simply writing in English. Good on anyone who attemps to translate, it must be hard going.
rekluzz
I usually post something within a couple of minutes, unless it's a long drawn out topic or reply. Then I might go back and re-edit it if I find mistakes with it.
sjjGFM
It takes 10 seconds to type this post
Wynand
It takes me usually days to come up with some topics to write and what to write in them. I then write them in 2 to 3 minutes. Other posts like this do not take up much thought, so it will just take me 2 to 3 minutes.
I write my posts in Microsoft Word so that it can check the spelling and grammar. I do this because then I can type fast and do not worry about typing mistakes because Microsoft Word corrects it for me. This saves a lot of post time for me.
Chrisjs
For around 2 FRI$ like this one, it takes around 30 seconds to about two minutes. For 4 FRI$, it takes around three minutes, unless I need to look something up. That usually adds on about a minute though...
Obake
I usually take a while to come up with a post, mainly because I tend toward lengthy responses when I choose to reply to a topic (and a lot of the time I'll wind up trying to reply to specific previous posts by a number of users in that topic, so there's a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to make sure I've got what was said by who right). I also try to check my facts, if I'm using facts, or leave links to show where I got certain ideas from--that takes time, too. And then I always use the "preview" function to double-check my coding and spelling. >>;

This has been one of my shortest posts, clocking in at under two minutes. Very Happy
nilsmo
ninjakannon wrote:
That or you just write really short posts; remember, you can't write 100 words in 30 seconds.

Yes, on average my posts are very short because I'm usually pressed for time. I want to do other things than think about what I'm going to post... I usually make one or two über-fast and short posts and then quit Frihosting.
ninjakannon
nilsmo wrote:
Yes, on average my posts are very short because I'm usually pressed for time. I want to do other things than think about what I'm going to post... I usually make one or two über-fast and short posts and then quit Frihosting.

Yeah, I think that there are a lot of people who just do exactly what you've described. I'm interested to know what you think of the community here, as you don't spend too much time making your posts. I, along with a lot of other people, love the whole atmosphere that comes along with this board. I also like to take more time to write my posts and hate making one liners.
I must say that it shows that you don’t post too much too often, just look at your points:

FriHost Points System wrote:
-7.64 Points

Try and keep them positive.
Babsta
It usually takes me around 1 - 2 mins cause I just type rashly without thinking Razz

Arnie wrote:

Why don't you simply preview them before submitting?
ninjakannon
Babsta wrote:
Why don't you simply preview them before submitting?

I often do the same. Usually because I think my post is perfect by in fact I see a mistake when I read through it after submitting it. I personally only preview posts for layout issues sometimes (for example, if I'm using some pictures and I want to see how large they are in the post). I copy my posts into Microsoft Word and spell and grammar check them before posting, but sometimes I still miss things. Also, I might think of something to add after posting.
Chalchihuitlicue
darrenpaul wrote:
Normally takes me around 1-2 mins, depending on post size.

Same as me, largely because I type really fast, and am already formulating my response as I read the thread over. Takes me a bit longer for really long posts, because I tend to preview it and edit it multiple times to make sure that all my points are clear.
eku53ru
It'd normally depend on a lot of factors for me (maybe it's because I'm weird like that?). The topic would matter, since it would depend on how much time I would devote to the post. How many points I'm missing from the 45.00 "maximum" would also matter, since I like keeping my points up at that level whenever I can. Smile

On average, though, I think I spend about three to five minutes per post? This one probably took just as long because I also have a habit of correcting/editing up my post before I hit the submit button.
goutha
Well, between 1 and 2 minutes on average!

It takes more time to read other posts that were sent before mine Smile
apple
Captain Fertile wrote:
apple wrote:
About 5 mins.....

lol....I just type slow.....dats all....
plus, I think as tho am talking before I type it....
Kaisonic
It takes less than a minute, definitely. Cause I learned how to type back in high school, so I can easily write a lot in a little amount of time. So um...yeah. Not a lot of time to write posts. In fact, it probably takes more time to load the eighty million pages to get to the post input page and beyond than it does for me to actually type the post.