FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dual-boot OS with two different HDD. How can I do it?

Alias
Hello Guys,

I've heard great things about Mandriva 2007 and have recently decided to download it and test it out. I have Windows XP installed as my primary OS on my 40GB HDD (primary master), and I have a secondary 10GB HDD (primary master) from where I want to install Mandriva 2007.

Now if ever I will install Mandriva 2007 on my second HDD I think it will boot up and just goes straight to Windows XP.

How can I set up a dual-boot between these two systems? Please advise. Thanks!

Best regards,
Alias
badai
just install it on your second hardisk and it will put lilo in your first hardisk and you can choose what OS to boot everytime you start your PC.
DVNT
Hi

Once you have installed it on the second HDD (just install as usual and choose this disk during installation) you can set the default operating system, time to wait for OS choice, etc by going to Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings

Be aware that this edits your boot.ini file and you could experience bootup issues if you make mistakes.

To set the default OS (the one that will be started if you do not enter another choice) click on the drop down at the top and click on the OS to use.
Below this is the checkbox that allows you to control how long the OS choice will be displayed on startup.

Hope this helps,
DVNT
badai
this only work for multiple microsoft OSes, not with microsoft + linux.

DVNT wrote:
Hi

Once you have installed it on the second HDD (just install as usual and choose this disk during installation) you can set the default operating system, time to wait for OS choice, etc by going to Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings

Be aware that this edits your boot.ini file and you could experience bootup issues if you make mistakes.

To set the default OS (the one that will be started if you do not enter another choice) click on the drop down at the top and click on the OS to use.
Below this is the checkbox that allows you to control how long the OS choice will be displayed on startup.

Hope this helps,
DVNT
tomahawk19
Order of Install must be All Microsoft OS's then your Linux distro. The reason for this is because NTLDR takes over your boot and won't recognize Linux. And remember if you wish to install older versions of Windows, you must install them in order from oldest to newest.
yjwong
Yeah, you must install all Microsoft OSes before installing Linux. Install GRUB into the primary drive. Set bootable flag on Primary Disk, Partition where GRUB is installed.
Jaan
You should use RAID to get way faster drive speed. Then it'll be really easy to dual-boot.
golles
if you want to test and play with another OS you can also install Virtual PC from microsoft or vmware and you can install another operating system virtual.

good luck
eldon_r
Hi Alias,

What you can do is swap the boot order in your BIOS so that your system will boot from the second HDD, then install Linux on that second HDD.

The advantages are:
    1. You can get Linux and Windows working without having to install GRUB on your Windows HDD
    2. You can actually get away with installing or re-installing Windows after you set up the dual boot, provided you switch the BIOS boot setting to booting from the first HDD before doing it, and set it back when its finished. I'm not certain this is necessary, but I'd do it just to make sure.

I did this, so I know it works with my system at least (I'm running Gentoo now but was running SuSE when I set up the dual boot -- SuSE is more like Mandriva since it's RPM based).

I forget whether there were any tricky bits to it, but I could help you work through them if you need it, if you decide to do it that way (assuming you haven't already done your install!). e.g. I think the installer will configure your Windows boot disk as a GRUB menu item, but if it doesn't you can add it. Also, the installer may ask you which disk you want the GRUB boot loader to be installed on, and you have to be careful specifying your Linux disk, because at that stage the disks may or may not appear "logically" swapped (the BIOS might be hiding the true order of the disks when you configure it to boot from #2). It's best if you go to a shell prompt (something like Alt-F2 usually) at that point and figure out which is which using the available tools.

Regards,
Eldon
KHO
Wow, next to none of these posts were actually helpful lol. You need to drop the linux loader (LiLo, Grub, whatever the hell you want to use) onto the first drive, contained in this need to be options to load the windows one from hd0 and the linux one from hd1 (your drive references may vary, this is just an example). Thats really it, then restart and viola!

There is no way to do this through Windows, the installation order doesnt matter, its easier to install windows then linux but thats irrelevant to this topic, who cares if Raid increases his speed, he isnt backing the drives up to each other so that doesnt change anything either. And granted the boot-loader may be on the second drive and the exact same setup but a BIOS to the first drive, that just adds another step so why bother?