FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do u see first in the newspaper?

mensun
We are all updated with the news, events, sports, political articles, horoscope and many more daily? So what do u see the first thing in the newspaper when u get a newspaper in ur hand?

Well, talking about me I go for the headlines in the first page and then flip to the horoscope after which the sport events coloumn .. then gradually turn on the matters therein.Oh i don't forget to see the ads then.

So forum members what about urs?
ninjakannon
Well, to be honest I don't read newspapers and I have my reasons.

The only part of the newspaper that I ever see really is the front page (and sometimes the back page); that's enough for me.

Why don't I read newspapers? Because they are evil things; I can say with confidence that all the mainstream newspapers (I do not know about the little-known papers, but I would expect them to be almost as bad) contain more lies than truths. Seriously, newspapers can say what they want and people will believe them, a single newspaper (for example the Times) has the power to start a civil war in a matter of weeks over some non-existent matter. That's more power than any Prime Minister / President has.

If politicians don't focus on what the media is saying about them and something negative comes up then they will get people urging for their sacking from whatever post they may take up. And if the government doesn't adhere to that they will get the same treatment.
Naturally, this detracts from politician’s concentration on important matters and furthermore, stops them making crucial decisions. This needs to be stopped and, although people will hate it: newspapers (playing the biggest role in corruption) need to be banned in countries where this is true. It's not a breach of freedom of speech or an evil act of control by the government - it's an effort to help politicians focus on real, important issues and concentrate on matters with their full attention.

I am solely for either banning or censoring newspapers (so long as the rules for censoring are extremely strict and do not allow for the government to abuse the law), anyhow, the online media should be left to do what they will as the internet isn't yet so influential (and it would be almost impossible to limit what went out on some internet media sites.

Anyone agree? I know it's a bit radical, but still - something needs to be done quickly to aid the government so that they can focus a bit more.

PS. Sorry, I just had to jump at this opportunity to have a rant.
Yjaxygames
I only read a free newspaper when I go to school. I get that paper in the bus (in the front there is a pile of papers). I always go to sport first (the backpages), because many other things I already saw on the news. When I read the sportnews, I just go to the frontpage and read the rest.
Donutey
Unfortunately, our local newspaper is absolute garbage. They are so partisan it's not even funny, everything from national, to local, to whether or not we should build windmills. (Honestly, I don't get why people are upset, when Mitsubishi built a plant here noone was complaining the construction equipment might damage roads... they wanted the jobs and money) On the plus side, they run the comics in color all week long.
HoboPelican
Sad to say, I finally canceled my paper. Why sad? Because I canceled it because they kept shrinking the comics! It turns out, that is the only thing I was getting it for. Better news on the web, better weather on the web, better event info on the web. The only thing the local rag was good for was nice color comics on the weekend...and they screwed that up. Fah!
SFMeatwad
The newspaper is usually filled with lies or just out-stretched truth.

That's why I read news on the Internet. I just look at a newspaper when I want to see how a team did in a game, or what one of my relatives did.
jylan
I normally just read the newspaper cover to cover. Usually I am able to read a newspaper every weekend, either the local one (The Morning Bulletin), or the Courier Mail.

Oh, and I skip the sports section because I find it so boring. Laughing
Jurado
First the sports, then the local news, see what happened in my village, ( like Car radio stolen, or someone stole clothes etC. ) Then the big news, because the big news i have already seen it on the television.

Grttz,
photon
I normally goto the sports section directly to see some stats, and then look through the news and editorial. Also love to read the supplementary issues
bulek
I usually read front page first because there are the most interesting news. After that I get slowly trough whole newspaper and read only interesting news. I especially skip news which I have already seen on television.
rohan2kool
1. Check out the comics.
2. Check out the television guide.
3. Check out which movies are playing in the theater.
4. Scan for sex scandals, hot gossip, semi-nude women [everybody does that.. it's just that i accept i do].
5. Check for a sensation.
6. Check out the business page for some tech news.
loryl
I read the first two pages, then I skip to the comics section. Afterwards, I scan the rest from cover-to-cover, reading the interesting stuff.
lerian
I scan the front page, if there is an interestin news I read it. When it's none, I go to sport pages, then go to the mini ads. I like to waste my time reading those tiny ads. I don't know about your papers there, but all newspapers here has those tiny ads pages. I even don't know what you call it.
reddishblue
Read the Comics, Then check the Tech news add in, then look in the major stories for anything I care about, then eat the paper
eku53ru
When I have a newspaper in my hand, the first thing that I look for is the "odd but true" section. I've been a fan of reading weird stories since I was a kid (sprouted from my liking of scary/ghost stories). Next, I check out the Jumble game - been playing that since I was seven or so (on and off, that is), and it's always fun to challenge my brain with anagrams. I hit up the comics section of the newspaper because I'm a fan of Pearls Before Swine, and after that I may check out the "This Day in History" section. This is all coming from a local newspaper though, and I'm a bit of a boring person. Very Happy
Davidgr1200
I agree to a large extent with Ninjakannon. It is the newspapers and the TV (and to a lesser extent Radio) who decide which problems should be aired. For example, they latch on to one particular war and only discuss that one. Other wars are mostly ignored and ordinary people will find out very little about them. For example, what is happening in Zimbabwe now? A couple of years ago it was in the newspapers everyday. Now a quick look at the Independent's Web site shows only four mentions since may last year. I would bet that that is more a reflection of media interese (or lack thereof) than what has been happening there.
ninjakannon
Davidgr1200 wrote:
I agree to a large extent with Ninjakannon. It is the newspapers and the TV (and to a lesser extent Radio) who decide which problems should be aired. For example, they latch on to one particular war and only discuss that one. Other wars are mostly ignored and ordinary people will find out very little about them. For example, what is happening in Zimbabwe now? A couple of years ago it was in the newspapers everyday. Now a quick look at the Independent's Web site shows only four mentions since may last year. I would bet that that is more a reflection of media interese (or lack thereof) than what has been happening there.

Yes, you are right by what you say there. I would accept this situation if that's all it was, however. The major problem is that once the media has chosen its (continuing the example) war and begun heavy coverage of it the Prime Minister / President will have to make a statement, along with the Home Office and various politicians will have to tell the media in time-wasting interviews how they think the war is either justified or why it is immoral. Furthermore, if the country is itself involved with the war (let's take Britain as an example) then the media will take a stance on what should be done - this stance is usually reflected across different newspapers and similar forms of media - and if the politicians don't follow what the media wants they will be heavily attacked. I would say that actually the example of war isn't too good when trying to come up with a fairly recent example of when the media have attacked a Prime Minister or President for justified decisions as there have been plenty of unjustified actions (the first thing which springs to mind being the Iraq war). However, the reaction the media gave to Bush and Blair over this war gives us a very good idea of how they attack people for things they believe is wrong when really, in reality their opinion should be as valuable as anyone else’s and not more so.
I would now like to back up the idea of the media choosing their topics and sticking to them (while they remain interesting (in the media's own eyes) to the public). Do you know which countries were involved with the Iraq war? Obviously Iraq, Britain and America; but which others? Well, although the media in Britain has solely attacked Bush and Blair over their intervention in Iraq I've heard about French troops being there, and in fact, a number of other countries from the EU have their troops over there. It's just that they media like these countries and so leave out the small chunks of information which would tell us about these other countries actions over this sensitive issue.
Furthermore, the media has stopped coverage of the deadly bird flu, now hang on a second... Bird Flu still poses a great threat to us, in fact a greater threat than before. People are still dying as a result of the deadly strain and it probably won't be too long before the virus mutates in such a way that it will be able to pass from human to human. Luckily, governments have stocked up on their best form of defence toward this virus (some injection, I can't quite remember what it is, however it may not be too effective in saving lives if the virus really starts to spread), however they are no longer pushed by the media and so have to focus on other things despite the urgency of this problem. Scientists are still investigating the virus though, they are rarely attacked by the media so they can work undisturbed.

Has anyone got any thoughts to add to this? Or does anyone disagree?
hunnyhiteshseth
I first see the main headline on the front page, then I go for special columns which are published weekly, then I go to the editorial.

Still if some time is left then I skim through rest of newspaper.
NoManLeftBehind
All i do is look for things that interest me. But usually i just look at the front page article then browse for more.
saratdear
I usually skim through the whole paper, if I have the time, or go to articles which seem to interest me. There is a column called 'Netspeak' every Monday and that is interesting. Other than that, the supplements are also interesting.
frozenhead
I have to see the frontpage and look for a headline that is interesting and scan it from the first to the last page to look for good articles. I usually drop on the "Classifieds" to scan on buy and sell gadgets.
scorpiosemotion
The first part of the paper I see, are the comics, then I see the paper go up in flames in my fireplace. Makes great kindling I think! Wink Oh, I might read the little local blurbs about artists and the such, if anything catches my eye. Oh, and the Classifieds looking for those deals Cool
reywall
mensun wrote:
We are all updated with the news, events, sports, political articles, horoscope and many more daily? So what do u see the first thing in the newspaper when u get a newspaper in ur hand?

Well, talking about me I go for the headlines in the first page and then flip to the horoscope after which the sport events coloumn .. then gradually turn on the matters therein.Oh i don't forget to see the ads then.

So forum members what about urs?

i love newspaper ,such as times
Liu
I first browse the first page for anything interesting.

Then straight to comics!
jayandsilo
the front page
mgx_virtual
The front page and main headlines, then last page with main sports news and other interesting but less important events, then politics page. At last when I finish with the newspaper I solve the crossword and read the horoscope from time to time.
datter
The first thing I see in the newspaper is the main image, whatever it might be. If it catches my interest in any way I'll read the caption, then the accompanying article otherwise I'll read the headline, and then just scan the rest of the thing.

After that I'll page through looking for world news first, and local news second. The rest of it I skip.

datter
apple
I try to avoid my local newspapers....

they are just filled with all the violence you could imagine....

the media has become known cause they sensationalize violence and all other negatives...

my sister buys a newspaper everyday and has to have it or she don't have breakfast...

if am online late....I just log on and read the headlines of the days paper....

the thought that crosses one's mind is....[who died last night?]

last friday....police men were chasing after some known gangsters in an area and in the process they shot and killed two kids....
ages 1 1/2 and 3....

Who would want to read this everyday????
Keran
First thing I see in my newspaper in Poland is mostly something about Politics corruption and their affairs, crap like that. Then there are problems with hospitals not getting paid enough, people taking 9 million Zlotys (Polish nominals) from children's hospitals and other bad news. Statistically it's like there's 1 good news and 9 bad news, last good news was that Poland will play in the finals with Germany in Handball...
genchan
What one sees in a newspaper would depend on his or her interest. So for me, I would look at the headlines on the front page and flip through the national news before resting my eyes on the Asia Pacific region section, the part that interests me most.

Then I would skim through the world section, onto the business side and then spend some time reading the editorials and opinion section. Not a sports fan, so I normally skip the last part of the newspaper.

That would altogether take me about 15-20 mins. Somehow I don't like the idea of reading at super fast speed unless I am in a hurry. Well normally I won't read the paper if I don't have the time. But still its something to enjoy like reading a book of your choice.
william
Well, I tend to read the news online (usually from the newspaper's website) or just watch TV. However, whenever I can, I do read the newspaper, and the first thing I see is obviously the front page. After reading the important news, I flip over to Business. After reading that, I flip to the science section. After all that, if I have time, I'll read some random articles and I may look at some comics. I would also look at weather, but almost every newspaper I read is unreliable.
WarEagleBBall
The first thing I look at is the sports section. Then I turn to world news just to keep up with the MidEast. Then I turn to the technology section. By that time my break is over and my coffee is gone and its time to get back to work.