FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AGP TO PCI-E adapter??Possible??

aceflooder
I dont have a pci-e slot installed on my motherboard but i want to use pci-e display card on agp slot i was thinking about this issue and i finally thought its maybe possible by buying an agp to pci-e adapter are there any?

or any other ways to use...
another option is to buy a new motherboard:D
anogues
i think it's possible but I am not sure.

but i was wondering why you want to use a pci-e card in a agp motherboard.

Unless you have a pci-e card I think it's a waste of time and money because with agp slot on the mobo you won't get never the speed of pci-e card because the bus will be slow.
badai
there are some adapter (pci-e to agp and agp to pci-e) around. depending on where you live, it might be very hard to find. you can try e-bay if you find migrating to taiwan is not a feasible option.
Donutey
aceflooder wrote:
I dont have a pci-e slot installed on my motherboard but i want to use pci-e display card on agp slot i was thinking about this issue and i finally thought its maybe possible by buying an agp to pci-e adapter are there any?

or any other ways to use...
another option is to buy a new motherboard:D

No, there are not any that I've seen. But, some video cards come with a PCI-express connector on one side, and a agp connector on the other, allowing you to simply switch the card around when you upgrade your motherboard.
jay84h
I have never heard of an AGP to PCI-e adapter. I would say there wouldn't be any at all, would there actually be an adapter that would give AGP the adaptability of a PCI-e? I don't know about that.
Darius
Havent't heard of such adapter, still as mentioned before, you would squeeze all the power from card. I would better get a new motherboard with better characteristics first and then upgrade everything else. PCI-express cards are entering market with big steps, i think at this rate AGP cards will be a waste of cash, compared to PCI-express
socialoutcast
I don't think that'll work at. agp and pci-e are completely different interfaces that run with different protocalls. However you can now get video cards that have the pci-e chipsets in an agp version. like I know that ATI has agp versions of their pci-e chips. Just the box before you buy.

Cheers.
ForceRun
Only choice you have is upgrading your motherboard. If you think about it it really doesn't cost much.
Xeniczone
Their isn't one that I know of, but I don't think their can be one. Because AGP and PCI Express run on different voltages and different bus types. Also PCI-E is much much faster so to put such a card into a AGP slot would destroy the performance of the card making it no better then the AGP card you probably already have.

You can buy top of the line gfx cards for AGP but they are generally overpriced compared to just buying a pci-e version.

Generally speaking if you still have AGP you need to upgrade your motherboard or if your like and they don't make motherboards for your older cpu even though it's still a good cpu then you may need to just buy a new computer.