FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much hours????

Sin Dasine
Caap,everybody...
I was wondering,how much hours a day you work...
I work ten hours a day true week,and nine hours on saturday...
ma job is workin' on sport bumpers for cars,repeareing them and shit....
I work all that for only 1.50 dollar per hour....
it's the sittuation in croatia....
Jobs are low payment,standards are low,but the food and bills are high as hell... how is it at yor place/country?
kerryworkman
Man that sucks Sad I worked a construction job that was 7 days a week 12 hours a day but it payed a whole lot of money with all the overtime. In general jobs here in the U.S. run about 8 hours a day 5 days a week and minimum wage is around $ 7.00/hr but in most cases that is not enough money to live on especially if you have a family to support.
Sin Dasine
yea?i supose that the higher standard is in the country,thats higher payment,but also higher bills....
so in the end it comse to the same....
we have lower standards,payments are lower as ell,but the bills are also....
for example....
one bread here cost about 6 Kn (croatian money),that's about one dollar....how much does it cost in america?
I suposed it's around....4 dollars?that's like 25 Kn here
The thing is,that i would live like a king if i would have american payment,with ma stayng in croatia....
but anyway.....this thing with hours of mine,it's not enough to live even here in Croatia,and far behind living in America.....
it's "wack"!!!!
Tokci
Here in india we do not get pais on hourly basis but on a monthly basis.
My sal is around 17K Indian rs thats about 380$.
I usually work 10hrs a day but its pretty flexible...if the load is high we have to give long hours as well.

If we calculate this for hourly basis it comes to around 1.9 per hour.
I am a software professional and I've almost 1 yr of exp.
kerryworkman
I think that it dosen't matter where you live or what you do, if you can't make enough to support your family, or even just yourself it is totally wack!!!! Especially when you are working as hard as you can, and contributing as a part of society. I believe that if you work, you should have your needs taken care of. It is a failing of our society in all cultures/countries that some have everything with no work while others work their entire lives for nothing. But that is just my opinion.
sabe
I see it differently. "Society" does not owe you anything. That is the problem. You expect too much. Before you get something, you must have a skill that is needed. Pay is related to how much people are willing to pay for your service. In America, we have radio start making over 5 million $$ a year! Nobody is worth that but, that is what someone is willing to pay because they have a "skill" that is wanted that much.

I teach in the America and we are not valued, I think because it is"free" to all. We are not paid that much although w/o us the society would be lost, just my opinion. Life is not fair, get used to it. In America it takes both parents working, if you want to do well, but we are spoiled and generally rich.

I work "officially" a 40 hr week. but don't get paid for overtime. With grading homework, planning lessons, etc. most teachers work 10 or 12 hour days and often periodic weekends. I think between meetings and other work related functions I ended up making less than minimum wage.
evilryu530
i work 45--50 hours a week, weekdays usually....
AutoTechGuy
I work 49... four 10 1/2 hour days during the week and 7 1/2 hours on saturdays. Sundays are off as we are closed.

I make $15/hour for the first forty hours, and $22.50/hour for each hour after (1 1/2 times per US overtime law).

As soon as I get recertified in my automotive certifications, I'll go up to $18/hour.. and probably ask for a bigger raise as well.

But it's hard to compare one country to another.. some countries you can live a nice life on $300/month.
leafarct
im from brasil, and now, im out occupation.

any suggest???
Insanity
I work minimum wage, but here in the city it's around $8.00 an hour (big city = high cost of living), and it's not too bad for pocket money, but it's hard work. I only work 15 hour weeks, and that's including a Saturday night shift as well.

I agree it seems unfair that the hardest work (physically) usually has the lowest pay, while some of the easiest work is highest pay. But that's what we get for being a capitalist country, eh?
kerryworkman
sabe wrote:
I see it differently. "Society" does not owe you anything. That is the problem. You expect too much. Before you get something, you must have a skill that is needed. Pay is related to how much people are willing to pay for your service. In America, we have radio start making over 5 million $$ a year! Nobody is worth that but, that is what someone is willing to pay because they have a "skill" that is wanted that much.

I agree with you, and mabye I do expect too much. The thing that reallly bothers me about our system here in the U.S. is that rappers, movie stars, and others make a ridiclous amount of money for doing almost nothing physically, and absolutely nothing that contributes to society. When people like teachers, police officers, firemen, farm labrors, and many others that are crucial to the functioning of society as we know it, are treated, finacially, like they are unnecessary. Yes we are spoiled in the U.S. and take for granted the fact that even figuring in the cost of living we all do pretty well even at minimum wage. Things are far worse in other countries that do not have labour laws like ours, and I agree with you that lifes unfair, but that still does not make it right.
I don't think things will ever change, because you are right, it is about how much your skills are worth to someone else, and unfortunately many of the people in every society are undervalued.
PP_DK
My job is something about automotive electronics. I do designing functional Test Systems. I work like 9 hours or more at day on week and like 5 hours on saturday. The Job is not that well paid but is enough to live here at Mexico....
oleszka
I worked 8 hours per day just because i lived from my home to work place far. Other people in our company work 10 hours. And if they were asked by boss to stay more, so these extra hours were not paid at all....
vertigoflow
Wow, that is wack.

The way my company is, they'll only pay for 37.5 hours a week for my job, but I end up here and extra 4 hours at least trying to catch up on stuff. I would just work my hours and go home, but the work would still be here when I came back, plus all the new stuff on top of it.

Plus I would just end up sitting in the parking lot waiting for the people I carpool with anyway
tileguy
I usually end up working about 60 hours per week, but I'm my own boss. Being in the trades, I get a very good pay, usually making about $1,800 to $2,000 per week. Hourly, I guess it would break down to $30/hour at a minimum.

But...

I spent 10 years perfecting my skills as a tilesetter, and have several thousand dollars invested in my tools. Ontop of the 60 hours per week, there is also another 10 to 20 hours of quoting jobs, researching materials prices, keeping up my contacts network, etc.

What kills me, though, is that some people here are making more than me for putting on wheels on an assembly line! Zero skills, zero education, the only reason they got the job is because their parents were line-workers, so they get in prettywell automatically.

Cheers.
Heart Ticket
Sin Dasine wrote:
Caap,everybody...
I was wondering,how much hours a day you work...
I work ten hours a day true week,and nine hours on saturday...
ma job is workin' on sport bumpers for cars,repeareing them and shit....
I work all that for only 1.50 dollar per hour....
it's the sittuation in croatia....
Jobs are low payment,standards are low,but the food and bills are high as hell... how is it at yor place/country?

I'm a student and i work 6 hours a day it tottally sucks!!! i also dont get paid!! what a rip off... pffft...

James
PennyCopper
It depends on what I am doing.

On an animation contracting job (the smaller studios here in NY tend to hire people on a temp/freelancer basis.) I generally work about 35 hours a week at $13-$15 an hour.

Freelancing...it all depends on the workload. I'm slow this week, but if a couple of jobs with a tight deadline come in I might be hunched over my table 15+ hours a day until it's all completed to an art director's approval.

The pay is decent but unsteady -- and I generally have to put about half of what I make into safe keeping for tax time.

To be fair, though...I am considering a small part-time job outside my home. Somewhere like Barnes & Noble (Mmmm book discounts.) as I want to sock away a whole bunch of money to get to Grad School. Smile
creezalird
before I continued with my studies, I did a job as a librarian at a local university..I worked from 8am till 5pm with normal breaktime such as lunch and teatime...
I was paid for only rm20 per day and that is about 6 dollar...
Well I just didn't have other choices Sad
Alaskacameradude
Well, I own my own business doing video production.....TV commercials, weddings, freelance news, DVD's, events, pretty much anything someone will pay me for. One of the great things about America...if you don't like the jobs available you can actually MAKE your own job by starting a business. It's hard but possible. I went to college for TV production and worked for TV news stations but became discouraged by the fact that although the company I worked for made good money, they paid me very little....$10/hour for a job that I spent four years in college getting a degree for .....and in my town it's expensive to live, over $1000 a month just to rent a little apartment. I didn't like it so I started my own business. I charge around $50 an hour for my services.

I did have to spend a bunch of money on video gear.....probably spent around 30 thousand dollars....money I saved up while working for the TV stations for 7 or 8 years....but now I'm running my own business and that's way better than working for someone else...mostly.
ptolomeo
Im a researcher in south america, we are paid 5 dollars an hour. It is enough for a couple. Constructer are worst paid, not enough for a reasonable living. Bye.
greatfire
wow that makes me feel lucky. I'm still a student and my part time jobs pays $AUD 8.30 an hour, thats for a fifteen year old.
SlowWalkere
Until recently, I worked in retail at the local mall.

When I started there I got around $7/hr. Nothing great, but at the time I was in high school.

After several years and a lot of attrition (for some reason, people rarely quit working at this store), I got bumped up to the assistant manager's position. Although the store owner was notorious for being cheap and underpaying his employees, I managed to wring $11/hr out of him. At this point, I needed to pay rent and bills (I moved away from home during college), so it wasn't that great. But, it did keep me solvent while I finished school.

In the fall, I will be getting a job teaching in the New York/New Jersey area. To put a little context around what another poster said about teaching, the average starting salary here is $40k-50k/year (I have a Master's Degree, so this is several thousand higher than someone that only has a BA). Strictly speaking, I will work approximately 180 days of the year, for about 8 hours per day. On paper, that's a great gig.

However, with all of the extra work (late nights grading, writing lesson plans, meeting with parents, all that good stuff), it can easily stretch to 10-12 hours per day and far more than 180 days of the year. Still, it is a decent wage and far above the minimum wage. If I got paid on the low end ($40k), worked every day of the year, and spent 12 hours per day working, I would still make around $9/hr. This is the extreme low. Although I'm not sure exactly how much time I will end up putting in, I'm sure it will work out to somewhere around $18-20/hr.

- Walkere
vervaeke
I work 37.5 hrs. per week or less. My manager is lax about my hours, but I have to get my work done. I usually roll in at 9:30 and leave around 5:00. I don't really take lunch and I work hard while I'm working (I'm only on here because of inactivation). I'm in database marketing, kind of a bridge between IT and Marketing. I'm paid $23/hr. on contract, but when my contract expires I will be offered closer to $30/hr. to stay on.

It sounds like I have short days, but I actually commute over 3 hrs. every day in order to live at home to pay off student debt. Commuting is alright though because it's on the train so I can read or sleep.
WallBase
i earn 100 usd ( 650 NOK ) but i work with painting, in 9 h evry day, and the paint jobs MUST be perfect^^.. hehe
natem
I am a Dental technician. I am still an apprentice so I only make $13 an hour and I'm expected to stay till the works done with no pay...
suppastar
I work anywhere from 40-80 hours a week depending on what's going at the given time at my job. I work as a software developer, and whenever there is a demo due, or a product about to be finished crunch time can be hell. Especially if you try to have a family or a life. I've been on about a 70 hour work week for the past couple of months and it's taking it's toll slowly but surely. The other problem that comes with that is that fact that I'm salaried. Sure when I break down my salary over a 40 hour week it looks like I'm making decent money, but ugh, divide that by 2 on an average work week and it's almost not worth it.

The good thing is that I love what I do, and as long as that's the case things are still bearable. I dunno if I can keep that up for much longer though.
secondeye
No Job Man stilll Bachelor..
But I do Job In My vacations and get Rs.2000/month For Daily 8 work Hours... Aah thts waz Crap man
Insanity
I am still enrolled in college, but I still work part time at a dining hall. I get around $9/hour, which is pretty good for a minimum wage paying job. I work around 15 hours a week, because I have to study for school and write papers and all that good stuff along with going to class and working.
KellaDayne
when i worked as a shop assistent in a supermarket, i workd 12 hours per day 2/2 days (2 days working, 2 days - off). and i got also about a dollar fo each hour.
my mom ought to work 8 hours per day 5 days a week. an she's payed not for an hour, but for the month. but it's often happens that she has to work exctra hours. BUT in russia this extra hours aren't payed - "it's your problem, that you can't do your job on time".
i'm in Germany now and i know, that every extra minute payed exctra money here. guess it's so in the whole "normal" world...
lyn13peace
i am in middle school. so i dont have a job and i need money like really, really bad. Sad[/b]
rajpk
hmm
40 hours per week fixed by most companies
but they requires from empoyeeeeeee to work extra time and dont pay money for extra time
this happens in most areas of worlds
Sad