FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Post Point Program - PPP

MadeinIndia
Hi,

I have read somewhere by Bondings that he values quality more than quantity in the postings...

As you all know, we need to be active on the forums to keep our account running but sometimes, completely immersed in running/promoting our website, we sometimes tend to lag behind in points...

Infact, I participate more in the forums due to the wonderful community present here than the motive of keeping my account active. Infact, within days of my joining frihost I took part in Philosopher Princess's contest and won some $frihs too from her...

My point is...Why not give points to a post that has more than 10 replies...so the person posting that message can reap the benefits of posting a quality message! So every 10 replies his post gets, one point adds up to his tally...if there are 20 replies..2 points get added...

Obviously there are very few posts that continue to get messages but I saw a few of them here but the owner of the post who managed to create so much interest in a topic should be suitably rewarded.

So If I know that I created some very good quality posts, even for a month or so I need not worry about my being active as my points will keep adding up.

What do you guys think about this suggestion?
wumingsden
Quality of posts here are not defined as how many people have replied.

If the number of replies to a thread did define the quality of a first post then this means that all of the contests in the contest forum would be superb (which obviously isn't the case).

Another example are general threads where replies aren't really that long.

It may work if it depended on the number of posts which have achieved the maximum points. Even this though isn't that precise. Just because a post has achieved 4 Points doesn't necesserily mean that it is of quality.

Any other suggestions?
Bondings
I will try to make a more sophisticated system where you can get 'rewarded' more for higher quality posts - and not only by changing the maximum points from 4 to 5, rather a 'reward' button that moderators can use.
Morgana
so how can you get the most?
garionw
MadeinIndia wrote:
My point is...Why not give points to a post that has more than 10 replies...so the person posting that message can reap the benefits of posting a quality message! So every 10 replies his post gets, one point adds up to his tally...if there are 20 replies..2 points get added...

IMHO this would only increase the amount of duplicate topics because everyone would be interested in getting the bonus and not worrying about replying
simplyw00x
Sorry to constantly bring this up, but Livingwithstyle.com (in its heyday one of the best forums on the internet for a variety of topics) had a couple of systems to reward members for good posts:
- Each post could be voted on (+ or -) by members, with different member groups getting different numbers of votes. It worked better with unlimited votes for everyone, though.
- Posts with a set number of net + votes were 'Great posts' and gained rewards. Posts with a net -10 were hidden and a 'FAIL' graphic replaced them.

Basically I think moderators have too much to do already to effectively reward every good post, and a binary reward/don't reward system doesn't have enough of a spectrum to really reward really good posts and kinda reward kinda good ones.

Also, I think encouraging ordinary users to participate in bettering the site really adds to the sense of community. Just a thought.
MadeinIndia
I guess the idea of reward system will be awesome...It can work as follows...

Let's assume a post crosses 25 replies...obviously there is some merit to the topic that it has got 25 replies...this will flag the moderators attention..If the moderator feels that this topic is of quality, he will click the "Apply Awards" button which will automatically reward the topic starter with one point for every 25 replies.

And as for the moderators...To give them more clarity, a "Guardian Moderator" should be appointed for each forum...It does not mean they cannot moderate elsewhere..they can do it...but for this specific forum, the Guardian moderator of the forum will have the authority to give "Apply Awards" benefit.

The moderator can be someone who has some kind of expertise in the specified forum...for eg, In the Computers Forum, the Guardian Moderator should be related to the computer industry so he can evaluate the topics better.

So, even if a post has more than 25 replies...If the moderator feels the topic is too silly or does not merit attention, he is free to ignore it.

There can also be a rule that if a user is found starting too many topics but is not replying to any posts or participating in the discussions for the sole intention of creating insurance for his account, he can be warned. This can be left at the sole discretion of the moderator.

And finally...Why not have a topic which tells us what suggestions where followed?
ocalhoun
simplyw00x wrote:

- Posts with a set number of net + votes were 'Great posts' and gained rewards. Posts with a net -10 were hidden and a 'FAIL' graphic replaced them.

That wouldn't be good in the case of someone who was debating in favor of a valid, but unpopular viewpoint.

Also, there would be problems with people in the marketplace doing things like 'Give me +'s and get 20frih$'
garionw
ocalhoun wrote:
simplyw00x wrote:

That wouldn't be good in the case of someone who was debating in favor of a valid, but unpopular viewpoint.

Also, there would be problems with people in the marketplace doing things like 'Give me +'s and get 20frih$'

I am can see that happening even though the users probably going to give award their reward just giving people the money for voting!
MadeinIndia
Bondings wrote:
I will try to make a more sophisticated system where you can get 'rewarded' more for higher quality posts - and not only by changing the maximum points from 4 to 5, rather a 'reward' button that moderators can use.

I am sure Bondings must be very busy in other things, just wanted to know if there is any update on the "Rewards" system he mentioned above.
Bondings
MadeinIndia wrote:
Bondings wrote:

I am sure Bondings must be very busy in other things, just wanted to know if there is any update on the "Rewards" system he mentioned above.

It's planned, just not high priority which means it may take very long.
Manofgames
Take a look at forums.facepunchstudios.com
Their system of ranking is two fold:
each post is run through a variety of checks for known bad grammer (ie- plz hlp), and based on the results, a Spellbot increases the persons Smartness rating, or punishes the user.

Each post has catagory icons next to it, which can be used to rate the post. eg a post might have '10 x helpful 2 x creative'.

Thats just an example of what some other boards are doing.
m-productions
Manofgames wrote:
Take a look at forums.facepunchstudios.com
Their system of ranking is two fold:
each post is run through a variety of checks for known bad grammer (ie- plz hlp), and based on the results, a Spellbot increases the persons Smartness rating, or punishes the user.

Each post has catagory icons next to it, which can be used to rate the post. eg a post might have '10 x helpful 2 x creative'.

Thats just an example of what some other boards are doing.

What i see wrong with this is, A lot of people dont speak English. so they will have a lot of bad spelling, or bad grammer, also, what about named or.. what if the world you are trying to spell is "spellt wrong" to the bot, but really is spellt right!?
Manofgames
Manofgames wrote:

Thats just an example of what some other boards do

I was just showing what that board was doing to rank player/posts.
Wink

I think that a 'ranking posts on catagory' modification is a better idea persomally.
jameszog
If many replies to it means that it's a interesting post anyway!!!!! so it deserves more points.

anybody agree with me?

james
truespeed
jameszog wrote:
If many replies to it means that it's a interesting post anyway!!!!! so it deserves more points.

anybody agree with me?

james

I dont agree ,the most popular threads seem to be the type of "whats your favourite" " whats your browser starter page" "how did you get your username" etc

Although these type of threads get many replys,i doubt many people revisit them once they have added to them.
simplyw00x
Quote:
I dont agree ,the most popular threads seem to be the type of "whats your favourite" " whats your browser starter page" "how did you get your username" etc

There is no automated way to distinguish a 'good' post from a 'bad' post; it requires post voting or heavy moderation to provide a human judgement on the merit of individual posts.
MadeinIndia
Hope you guys read my previous post on the same topic. Why is no body talking about the idea to have "Guardian Moderators" for each forum who can rate the posts manually?

Provided that the moderators have knowledge of the said forum they are guardians of, like in Computer Forum, the moderator should know a few things about computers to become the Guardian moderator for it.

It is easy, simple, has a human interface and solves all the problems!