FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free web design software for Linux?

theevildonkey
Someone I know wants to hire me to make them a website.
I'd like to get it done in a timely fashion and I'm looking for a good free/open source wysiwyg program, preferably for linux. I don't have the patience for Windows.

I've used Nvu. It was ok but I was wondering if there was anything better.
tony
theevildonkey wrote:
Someone I know wants to hire me to make them a website.
I'd like to get it done in a timely fashion and I'm looking for a good free/open source wysiwyg program, preferably for linux. I don't have the patience for Windows.

I've used Nvu. It was ok but I was wondering if there was anything better.

well i use pico. it is lightweight, n easy to use. open-source of course.

pico -w (path to file)
tomahawk19
NVU is nice too Smile
sush
Up to KDE 2, a program called Quanta was available and was the default HTML Editor. Google if you want to try it.
warkey
I think not, it's a server, there no templates for a server? Confused
qscomputing
Nvu is the only decent graphical web editor for Linux, and it's pretty good. But of course if you want to code by hand (which you will want to when you get advanced enough), any text editor will suffice. KWrite/Kate is a good editor for KDE with syntax highlighting. HTH.
Ranfaroth
You can also have a look to KompoZer...
theevildonkey
Yeah, I use Kate a lot for editing code. It's simple and has syntax highlighting for many languages. Kate is the only thing I use for coding in php. It Seems Nvu is pretty much the best open source option for a graphical editor. I'll be sure to check out KompoZer though because Nvu acts a little buggy sometimes. Quanta seems decent too.
If all else fails, I guess there's always Wine + Dreamweaver.
Daniel15
Nvu is quite a good WYSIWYG editor, although I usually use Gedit (default text editor in Gnome). Even though it's not WYSIWYG, it is very simple, and has syntax highlighting (all I need Very Happy)

Quote:
If all else fails, I guess there's always Wine + Dreamweaver.

Yeah, I've done that, although it's a bit complicated (you need to install Dreamweaver on a Windows PC, and then copy all the files over... There's a guide somewhere).
cheeta
NVU wokrs good.. Very Happy and linuxs base default Text editors ar far better NotePad Razz
Handyman
There is also Bluefish Very similar to NVU but not as buggy and runs a lot faster.
turbowolf
NVU is fine. but indeed I think an execellent editor such as vim/emacs is better than those tools.
umeshtangnu
u can use Scite (http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html) its lightweight and built for speed, it is designed mainly for source editing, and performs syntax highlighting and inline function reference for many different languages.
loosu
Try this one ,
http://arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.html
theevildonkey
Arachnophilia looks interesting. I might try that out, though right now I'm looking for wysiwyg. I already use Kate for syntax highlighting if all I'm doing is coding.
I decided to just go ahead and install Dreamweaver 8 since that seems to be pretty much the best wysiwyg. Nvu is a good free alternative, but is a little buggy sometimes. Dreamweaver also has a lot more features and is more polished than pretty much everything else. I couldn't get it to install correctly under wine so I had to install on windows and then copy it over. It worked good after that. It wasn't quite as fast under wine as it is on Windows, but it's still usable. My computer is 8 years old though so people with newer machines may not notice a difference.

If anyone knows of any other free alternatives please let me know. I'm going to use Dreamweaver for now but I'd really like an open source solution to replace it with.

Another question.
Whenever I edit files from the command line, I use nano. But if you type pico it brings up the same program. What's up with that? Are they the same thing, or is one a little different than the other? It's like that on OS X also.
Daniel15
theevildonkey wrote:

Another question.
Whenever I edit files from the command line, I use nano. But if you type pico it brings up the same program. What's up with that? Are they the same thing, or is one a little different than the other? It's like that on OS X also.

Nano was essentially designed to be a clone of pico. Since pico doesn't use an OSI-approved license, nano was designed to be a free clone of it. Nowadays, Nano is included in Linux, and running "pico" just opens nano (If you type
Code:
ls -la /usr/bin/pico
in a terminal, you'll see that it's symlinked to nano).

Wikipedia explains it better Smile
Quote:
The GNU project has a clone of Pico called nano. Nano was developed because Pico's license is not considered to be a free software license since distribution of a modified version of the code is expressly forbidden.
surdy
I use Nvu Very Happy for making webpages in LINUX. I liked it ...works fine for me
sush
There's something called SCREAM as well (google for it) but it's not WYSIWYG again.
corey
I don't think that you're going to find anything more than you already have. NVu (and Mozilla Composer) is the only WYSIWYG editor for Linux. Its got its good points and, of course, its shortcomings. KompoZer is just a bug-fix release of NVu (and maintained on its own - unofficial). You might find that Quanta will fit your needs, since its going to work with Kparts. Its part of the KDEwebdev package now, if you can't find it by name. Its got a learning curve, though.

You might find that roughing out a site with NVu and then editing it by hand with Kate or Gedit would be sufficient. Or, roughing it out with NVu and then editing it with Bluefish, which has a ton of features and can work with many languages.