FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

weather in Eastern Europe

jeanoradean
I know it's not really world news, but it's important news to me....

It seems like the weather is finally changing around here. Do you think we're finally gonna get a real winter? So far it's just crazy....just the other week there was a mosquito on my windshield, which is pretty strange for Romania in January..

So what are your thoughts, fellow eastern Europeans?
wumingsden
I live in the UK.

At this present moment the sky is blue and the sun is out and proud. It is such a lovely day that I've just come back from a picnic and I've been invited to another one in an hour. Also tonight I'm supposed to be going go to a barbeque.

However, two days ago it was snowing like it hadn't snowed in about a year. Only a couple of inches fell, but it disrupted train and airline services.

Weird, Weird, Weather. Personally I think it's because of global warming.
woodenbrick
What are the normal temperatures in these parts for this time of year jeanoradean? Ive just moved to Bulgaria and its my first winter here, im quite happy with how its going so far. Very Happy My girlfriend was telling me it might get down to -20C and since im from the tropics it didnt sound too pleasant...
southy
My friends, it's all because of the North Atlantic current. If you have ever watched "An Inconvenient Truth", you would know about this.

I had also learned this in my geography course.

When global warming causes the ice caps to melt, tons of fresh water gets literally dumped into the oceans, causing the currents to be disrupted. Without this warmer current going (from Africa to the Gulf of Mexico to Nova Scotia to Europe), then you will see some abnormal weather... for example, a real winter.

But if you want to know how to survive that, come to Canada, we'll show you Smile
woodenbrick
Also from that movie 'The Day after Tomorrow', however unrealistic that may have been.
jeanoradean
woodenbrick wrote:
What are the normal temperatures in these parts for this time of year jeanoradean? Ive just moved to Bulgaria and its my first winter here, im quite happy with how its going so far. Very Happy My girlfriend was telling me it might get down to -20C and since im from the tropics it didnt sound too pleasant...

Woodenbrick:
Usually it's way colder, temperatures down to -20C would be quite normal. This year we don't really mind that the winter isn't that cold, since we are building a house and can simply continue during the winter. But if the winter isn't really a winter we'll be sorry in the springtime because there will be more insects (musquitos) that normally would have died during the winter.
What part of Bulgaria do you live in? Like here in Romania it's kinda a big difference (weather- and winterlike) depending of where you live (mountains or plainland, near the sea or more inland)
woodenbrick
I live in Plovdiv, originally from Townsville, Australia so its quite a change. Very Happy