FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Earth + Avast

snowboardalliance
I was using Google Earth the other day and suddenly got a bunch of pop-ups from Avast about a virus/worm called "DAME" (Dark Angel ME or something) all coming from [something].google.com/flatfile.......
Looked like a false alarm as this is the only time it happened and I don't believe I have a virus. Plus, I searched this "DAME" virus and the best I found was that it was old and someone else had it falsely detected in Avast. Any tips?
southy
This is probably a notification that you downloaded a placemarker or a file from the Google servers (people upload their placemarks to it, which are in turn downloaded to your computer to make them viewable on Google Earth.

Of course, it's highly unlikely, but it's all I could think of.

That, or you had ports open and vulnerable while you were using Google Earth, which allowed for this Dame (what kind of name is that) virus or worm to come in.

Or last but not least, it's not something to worry about. Especially if it comes from 1993 (apparently)

Quote:
False alarm. Avast identifies its own Signature updatefiles as a Virus!Smile

Nothing to worry about. I think one Avast guy will answer soon.

"DAME" is an old(realy old) Virusconstructor(Mutation Engine if i remember correctly)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2%3baction=display%3bthreadid=398
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/dame.shtml
rafifaisal
Aren't you talking about the "Dark Avenger Mutating Engine" ? ? ?
snowboardalliance
Well I haven't noticed it happening last time I tried google earth, weird, problem solved I guess.
futurcat
snowboardalliance wrote:
Well I haven't noticed it happening last time I tried google earth, weird, problem solved I guess.

Sometimes when the Antivirus tool tells you you have a virus... you may actually have one!