FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Review my blog please!

LukeakaDanish
Hi everybody Smile

I have just finished the blog section of my page (all custom code)

http://lukedk.frih.net

Tell me what you think!

(I know the links at the top don't work - thats because the content "behind" them hasn't been written yet Wink)
NoManLeftBehind
Looks pretty cool, My only suggestion would be to use wordpress, them totally modify it. At least thats what I did. I find that that way it makes it look more professional
LukeakaDanish
NoManLeftBehind wrote:
Looks pretty cool, My only suggestion would be to use wordpress, them totally modify it. At least thats what I did. I find that that way it makes it look more professional

Oh, but that would remove all the fun of programming it from scratch, wouldn't it? Smile
darvit
It's nice and looks clean.. Very minimalistic and easy on the eyes.

The navigation banner on top looks great! But because all the colors are placed on the banner, the whole blog body looks pale and plain in comparison. I'd suggest that you add a bit of blue somewhere.. Like your blog footer could have a light blue background, or something... Just add a little bit more color somewhere in order to balance it out. Smile

Overall, it looks great. And you made it from scratch too, so that's a plus. Cool
LukeakaDanish
darvit wrote:
It's nice and looks clean.. Very minimalistic and easy on the eyes.

The navigation banner on top looks great! But because all the colors are placed on the banner, the whole blog body looks pale and plain in comparison. I'd suggest that you add a bit of blue somewhere.. Like your blog footer could have a light blue background, or something... Just add a little bit more color somewhere in order to balance it out. Smile

Overall, it looks great. And you made it from scratch too, so that's a plus. Cool

Thanks - good idea - do you think adding a background colour to the sidebar would improve it?
darvit
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Thanks - good idea - do you think adding a background colour to the sidebar would improve it?

Hmm, yeah, a background color for the sidebar sounds good, too. Smile
Good luck with your design! Wink
a_dubDesign
I love your rollovers in the top nav, I was actually admiring it the other day and figuring out how you did it. Most of my work has been done in flash, and I've been wanting to get into more javascript stuff, so I set out to do the same type of rollover in js that you use. Took a little while, but its fairly easy to go between AS and JS, thankfully.

I would second the idea of background color for the sidebar. I'd probably shoot for rounded corners like you have in the nav. I'd look at possibly putting the footer stuff for the posts (like the tags and comments) on a blue background as well.
LukeakaDanish
a_dubDesign wrote:
I love your rollovers in the top nav, I was actually admiring it the other day and figuring out how you did it. Most of my work has been done in flash, and I've been wanting to get into more javascript stuff, so I set out to do the same type of rollover in js that you use. Took a little while, but its fairly easy to go between AS and JS, thankfully.

I would second the idea of background color for the sidebar. I'd probably shoot for rounded corners like you have in the nav. I'd look at possibly putting the footer stuff for the posts (like the tags and comments) on a blue background as well.

Yea - once i get the pages done (so all the links work) I will definitely implement some of your ideas for making it more of a visual "phenomenon"...Smile

Thanks for the kind words on my top-nav by the way - it did take quite some time to perfect Smile - and yea - JS ans AS are very similar...(as are most programming languages (inc. php, asp, java, c, c++ etc.))

- feel free to reuse any of my code and even images!
okullar
Your blog looks good and very clean. It is easy to read it. However, your banner is a little big, I think. You may put a little one.
GB
I like it. I'm relieved and impressed that it is hand coded!
Donutey
It's a very impressive site but I have three small issues with it.

1) Too many reflections, especially the Blog logo in the middle left, which serves little or no purpose.
2) The same blog image mentioned above breaks the alignment of an otherwise well aligned page.
3) I know what your going for with the misspelled "teh" but it gives an unproffesional first impression, but it depends on what you're going for.

All in all I'm really impressed that you've coded such a complex thing as a blog.
LukeakaDanish
Donutey wrote:
It's a very impressive site but I have three small issues with it.

1) Too many reflections, especially the Blog logo in the middle left, which serves little or no purpose.
2) The same blog image mentioned above breaks the alignment of an otherwise well aligned page.
3) I know what your going for with the misspelled "teh" but it gives an unproffesional first impression, but it depend on what you're going for.

All in all I'm really impressed that you've coded such a complex thing as a blog.

1) Yea...I really couldn't decide whether to have that reflection - the main reason I chose to keep it was: if the rounded corners on the page-title (the blog logo, as you call it) sit next to the square corners of the page-stats (I really couldn't be bothered rounding the stats corners) it looks kinda rubbish - so I wanted a little space between the title and stats - I might round the stats corners and remove the reflection though...

2) What do you mean by "breaks the alignment"? - should I left-align the text in the title?

3) I'm up for changing the page-name, however do you have another idea?..."Luke is the BLOG" is just as bad i spose Wink

[[thanks for all the positive comments by-the-way]]
Donutey
To clarify, I'm talking about the image below:

2) It doesn't align horizontally with the article title. (Although I know it's difficult to get things to align horizontally in CSS)

Hmm... you could always go with "lukeakadanish," just to make the whole process easier, but it's up to you to decide.
{name here}
Good blog design from an internal perspective! I wouldn't really criticize it at all except it might have trouble on a 56k modem.
LukeakaDanish
Quote:
Total HTTP Requests: 12
Total Size: 77763 bytes

Ok...so that takes some time to load i guess...might give compressing it to 50kb a go...
Dragate
As it has been stated previously, some blue would do good for this website.

The banner is stating like the colours: BLUE and all shades of it, so other than the main blog button having the font being blue... add some mroe blue.

Background colour sounds good, or a backgroud effect?

have fun with that, it looks great.
illegalhost
Hi luke, personally, the banner "Luke is teh blog" is just too big my man. And so are the links for the various pages in your website. It is really nice i must admit, but is it necessary to be that big? Like another commentator, i agree that it needs some reducing. Secondly, what attracts me to your blog is your design - not your blog. Why?

This is because, apart from the banner and the links, there are just too many white spaces, such that it seperates the banner and the content blog itself. Hence, it seems that the content is not the main point for the viewer, but the banner and the link is more important. Perhaps some sky blue background would be great to complement the banner and the cool links you have there.

And of course, your links are not working, as far as i know. Hope this helps. "Luke is the Blog" is OK. But your website needs a theme. And this theme cannot be associated just by having a beautifully created banner and cool links rollovers. you need to include your comments as part of the webpage too. Otherwise, bloggers would just come to your website for the design of your banners and links rollovers. Wink
Bengt
The sentence 'Luke is teh Blog' looks awful. But anyway apart from that.
It looks good, but I would add colors to your body.
outofnicks
{name here} wrote:
Good blog design from an internal perspective! I wouldn't really criticize it at all except it might have trouble on a 56k modem.

I'm on dialup and
Code:
Page loaded in 0.008 seconds.
is what I see at the bottom of the page. Actually, I don't think it was that quick the first time but still it didn't seem to take very long to load, probably a couple seconds.
LukeakaDanish
outofnicks wrote:
Code:
Page loaded in 0.008 seconds.
is what I see at the bottom of the page. Actually, I don't think it was that quick the first time but still it didn't seem to take very long to load, probably a couple seconds.

Hahaha...don't worry about that - what it means is "the server queried the database and outputted the page (php) in 0.008 seconds.

After this you start loading the page...and that may take anywhere from 0.5 seconds to 5 years...depending on your line, and the speed of the server - it is something php is incapable of measuring

Search google - that will show you a "page loaded in ## seconds" as well...although it often seems to have taken a lot longer - for the same reasons Very Happy

BTW: Sorry about not having done anything about all your good suggestions...the problem is I've had a lot of other stuff to do - once i get some peace everything will get better...promise!