FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RapidShare

mantasx
You know what I absolutely hate? (you prabably know if you read the title) I hate the weird looking letter that you have to type in before you download in rapidshare!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad OMG, I don't remember being so mad about a stupid website on a stupid compter. First, I press free and I wait 2 minutes! Ok, I understand that I could buy the premium member acount, but I just want to download two files! Ok, so I wait, I and I see something like "0O0df2" in very, very weird laters. Now which one is the "zero", or the letter "O"!? So ofcourse I get it wrong. The second time i wait another 2 minutes and the same thing happens! Crying or Very sad Mad . Ok, I thought to my self, I could do this. I wait another 2 minutes and I get a nice black and white letters something like "dj8de", I typed that in and I got the pop up if I want to save file or open. Ofcourse I get all excited, I press save file. I have about a million folders so I looked in my computer, C, downloads, games. So went to the window through the folders (not through the popup). I paste C:\downloads\games. Ok, I do that and I get to the folder and before I press save, I notice that the title is C:\downloads\games! The title was realy someting like blah-blah_bythisperson.part1.rar! If I don't get the right tiltle the second file and the first file wont combine when I extract them. So I press cancel and I press the download button again.

Quote:
You have reached the download-limit for free-users. Want to download more?
Get your own Premium-account now! Instant download-access! (Or wait 25 minutes)
I feel my face getting hot, my brain cells becoming dead!!!! How??? I didn't even download anything yet!!!!!!!! I'm so pissed of!! I know I could wait those 25 minutes, but its still redarted how I waste my time on something like this for no reason.
Sorry for not making a lot of sence I tried my best. So had anything as stupid as this happended to you!? And I found no other place where I could post this...
outamoney
Rapidshare Tip - In the verification image there are no letter o's, just the number 0
SFMeatwad
Yeah, I hate that verification stuff too. One time, I wanted to download a report that my friend typed up and he gave me the link and it wouldn't let me download.

I verified it and it said something about cookies (mm) and crashed my Internet Explorer. Since then I use Firefox. Smile
jongoldsz
The numbers and letter you enter is just to prevent leachers from stealing links.
mantasx
Ohh yah.. Since 8:15 pm (in firohost time) I've been skating in 40 F coldness. I did a couple gaps and chilled out with my friends. I even forgot how mad I was. I guess cold weather calms the nerves! Laughing

Quote:
Rapidshare Tip - In the verification image there are no letter o's, just the number 0
outamoney, thanks so much for that now I don't have to wonder anymore. Does this happen for all varifications?

Quote:
The numbers and letter you enter is just to prevent leachers from stealing links.
I knew that, but it still pisses me of really bad.
jeremyyak
Actually, with rapidshare you could type the letter O or the number 0, it takes both of them just for that reason Very Happy

Just verifying what everyone else has said, they don't want people hotlinking or making bots that get direct urls. When they use that image, they are ensuring that a human is downloading the file, not a script (although if the image is simple, you could write a script to do it for you, but RS is funky).
~Jeremy~
Valentine
I had this problem with Far Cry. I couldnt figure out why it said my CD key was invalid till I put in a 0 instead of an o on a hunch. Its very aggrivating...and then by the time I figured it out there was no one online.
mantasx
Quote:
Actually, with rapidshare you could type the letter O or the number 0, it takes both of them just for that reason
jeremyyak
, I'm not sure about that.... Rolling Eyes Maybe I'm dumb or something... I think there should be some other human varification. I dunno, for example: They play a sound such as bark, bark, and you would write in dog. Hackers would probably make a script for that too.
Captain Fertile
This is something I hate and it never occured to me other people hated it to.

Those verification codes can be a pain, especially when even a human can't work out that they are and if you get it incorrect you have to retype a load of your input again.

I have found myself seething at a number of sites that do this. Luckily more and more sites are now putting a speaker button by them so that they will actually say the letters and words so you get a better chance ot get it right.

But yes, VERY annoying sometimes.
James007
Yes, rapidshare is one of the stupidest websites on the net and I don't know why everyone keeps using it. I mean, there are plenty of alternatives available but they all stick to "rapidshare". (I wouldn't call it "rapid" anyway)
mantasx
James007 wrote:
Yes, rapidshare is one of the stupidest websites on the net and I don't know why everyone keeps using it. I mean, there are plenty of alternatives available but they all stick to "rapidshare". (I wouldn't call it "rapid" anyway)
True, but I it is one of the fastest sharing sites I know...
seanooi
rapidshare is one of the most annoying websites on the internet, that's why i always use to avoid using that site, finding alternatives to downloading the file i want.
But I've given up spending countless time just searching for that one file and decided to just get a premium account.
reddishblue
Yeah with verification codes, I was not able to get the uni.cc one working, probably just me though
mOrpheuS
jeremyyak wrote:
Actually, with rapidshare you could type the letter O or the number 0, it takes both of them just for that reason

Affirmative ...

"O" - the alphabet can be substituted with "0" - the numeral and vice versa.

It's also completely case insensitive !

James007 wrote:
I wouldn't call it "rapid" anyway

I have seen download speeds of upto 20mbps with rapidshare (could be more) ... certainly a worthy candidate for the name. Wink
anogues
Yes it's annoying but i think is one of the best ways to download files because it's so fast.

There are some other sites such as megaupload.com but there are too slow
James007
mOrpheuS wrote:
James007 wrote:
I wouldn't call it "rapid" anyway

I have seen download speeds of upto 20mbps with rapidshare (could be more) ... certainly a worthy candidate for the name. Wink

I'm not talking about the download speed, I'm talking about the count-down thingy.
rohan2kool
to all the haters.. rs was never made to help you.. those guys are there to earn and as is obvious they'll do their part of the stuff to earn...
Tvis
There should still be free, more easy to work with, applications such as Rapidshare on the net. Maybe someone knows and can five us a tip. I myself don't like Rapidshare for the same reasons. But if people uploaded there files with that, there is no other option.
Billwaa
the O0 thing, omg, it is bad...

I know people change their IP adresss to skip their wait time...
JJGY
I actually have a program that lets you just put in a chain of proxies so you can download multi part archives without the wait times. I used this once or twice when I really needed a few large files very quickly, but other than that I usually just pay. My conseince doesn't let me get away with cheating corporations for long -.-
Dark_Tiger
rohan2kool wrote:
to all the haters.. rs was never made to help you.. those guys are there to earn and as is obvious they'll do their part of the stuff to earn...

You know what else is "there to earn?" Frihost. Somehow, Rapidshare looks very lowbrow and cheating by the compariasion. I think it has something to do with Frihost not sucking eggs.

The best filesharing system I've seen was actually a program I found a few years ago that leveraged freee e-mail account storage space. While I haven't seen it in common use, it did use the service's ads as I recall (not that it'd matter much to something like gmail, which at least nomionally allows pop3 access). Dunno what happened to the concept though.
sibbahz
I cant stand "rapid"share. I think ive only ever got one file out of them, and that took some effort.

I think it uses the IP address to check how much has been downloaded, and it seems that NTL round here use the same IP address for the whole of bedfordshire, so if one other NTL customer downloads, the limit is almost instantly hit.
Its dire.
sjjGFM
I hate rapidshare, i cant download from it...
TruPain
I don't think that I have ever had a problem with any of the verifications on rapidshare.

There are ways to bypass the download limit. I am not sure if I am allowed to state those here, but just to breifly touch up on them, there are programs as well as premium rapidshare link generators that can help you get the files you need to download in a lot less time.

You just need to look aorund for this stuff though, but I don't want to risk my account here by posting links or names if I am not allowed to do so.
highlordadmin
I've never liked rapidshare. The speed is ok, but that good damn waiting time makes it faster to send files over MSN!

So i always like to use http://uploading.com, fast enough, and not that god damn waiting time!
wheres
I agree that rapidshare sucks.

I hate all those free file hosting sites, especially the rapidshare.

and just to get back to the main idea of the post: yea those verification sequences really suck, especially if they are more than 3-4 characters. Having to punch in 8 characters especially when the fonts they use are rediculous and impossible to read. (grrr)

/rant off
Teddy1
I hate the time limit on rapidshare Smile
theem
simply man ----
rapidshare sucks....

there are many free and time saving free file hosting providers...
jongoldsz
Rapidshare is really annoying. It has a decent download speed, but waiting 1 minute, just to type in 4 characters, so you can download a file is a pain.
drirfan
The main problem with rapidshare is that if have a shared ip adress,

it will tell you that download limit exceeded even if you have not downloaded anything within last 100 hours. Evil or Very Mad

Then you have to wait for xx minutes.

xx means according to the file size from 2 minutes to 99 or even may be more.

After wait, there is another restriction to put that image characters in the text box within some specified time otherwise you have to start from start.

Further you cannot resume your download, if you disconnected at 10%, it is your bad luck but if you disconnected at 99%, it is your hard luck.

Now the question arises why this service is used so widely?
The reason i think is that this server has a huge collection of files.

If people will continue uploading files there, people will continue downloading files from there.