FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mandriva Linux Free

Alias
Hi! Can someone here tell me how much disk space do I need to install Mandriva Linux Free?

Also, please add some software specifications and installation instructions for Mandriva Linux Free so that I could understand it more precisely.

I asked the question because I'm planning to install Mandriva Linux Free on my 10GB hard drive.

I'm referring to the 4 free cd versions download.

Thanks for the help. Smile
anogues
It's one of the best distros, and the installation is very intuitive. It's the old Mandrake and if i'm not wrong it takes rpm packages.

With 10 Gb you have enough space. When the setup screen appears you only need to follow the instructons on the screen.

It will be good if you do a quick partition of your hard disk before the setup.

Do two partitions. One swap which should be about 500 Mb and another Ext2 or Ext3 which should be the remaining capacity of your hard disk
corey
You'll be fine with that amount of space. I hope that you like Mandriva. When I was a noob, the only help that I could get was waiting for the bus...
icedrakon
it depends of the amout of software you want to install when asked you during the instalation the less is better but 10 gB is enough...
LostOverThere
You'll be perfectly fine with 10GB. You'll be able to get everything you need done without have to really worry so much.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy Mandriva.

-LostOverThere (Fellow Mandriva 2007 user)
mehulved
anogues wrote:
Do two partitions. One swap which should be about 500 Mb and another Ext2 or Ext3 which should be the remaining capacity of your hard disk
I don't think ext2 is a good idea considering it has no journalling.
d3f3nd3r
use ext3 or reiserfs, but i think ext3 is better, cause mr reiser may be arrested Wink

and spilt your hdd in a home and a system partition, dont forget swap^^
Arno v. Lumig
d3f3nd3r wrote:
use ext3 or reiserfs, but i think ext3 is better, cause mr reiser may be arrested Wink

and spilt your hdd in a home and a system partition, dont forget swap^^

ext3 is good of course, but why should ReiserFS be bad just because the creator is having some trouble?
ezekiel_rage
Alias wrote:
Hi! Can someone here tell me how much disk space do I need to install Mandriva Linux Free?

Also, please add some software specifications and installation instructions for Mandriva Linux Free so that I could understand it more precisely.

I asked the question because I'm planning to install Mandriva Linux Free on my 10GB hard drive.

I'm referring to the 4 free cd versions download.

Thanks for the help. Smile

You will need 4GB in your / directory for a full install. You may remove most if not all of the default packages that you may not need to save space and make room for those packages that you want/need.

Rule of the thumb when making swap partition is to multiply you physical RAm by 2. Meaning if you have 256MB of physical RAM, then you make a 512MB swap partition. but if you have 1GB or more physical RAM then just stick to 512MB to conserve disk space.

The rest of the drive can be mounted on /home. you'd have at least 5GB of space to store personal files.

Hope this helps....