FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Obesity

cruisearound
Are we heading to an obesity situation in the UK similar to the US.
Just lately as any parents out there will already know, theres been a large shake up in what children can & cant eat in school. Fizzy pops, crisps & chips are already outlawed in many if not all schools now.
But if you look around, young kids do seem to be increasing in size as time goes on.
Do we have an obesity problem, do you care, does it bother you, sould people be left alone with the old cliche "im overweight but im happy".
Discuss
Yantaal
kids are just fat and lazy and top stupid to think what they are eating

just like every carnivore out there.

me im vegan thin and healthy as shit
Hogwarts
Yantaal wrote:
kids are just fat and lazy and top stupid to think what they are eating

just like every carnivore out there.

me im vegan thin and healthy as shit

Umm... It's not meat making people fat.. It's stuff like junk food, lack of excercise, etc.

And that called prejudice to reference to "non-vegans" by calling them "carnivores", when they don't eat a diet consisting of mainly meat. That was a really stupid remark Rolling Eyes

I do eat meat, and I'm not fat. In fact, I'm probably too skinny Confused

And who want's to be "Healthy as $hit" anyway?
Yantaal
no vegans. veggies are carnivores
Raydon
I am 176cms tall and have 62kilos, I am helthy and around here among others, I am skinny.
I thing the biggest problem is that ppl watch too much of what they eat. I eat everything and was never on a diet or whatever. I eat 3 times a day and when i eat, I eat untill I'm full.
SmartIcon
If you have obesity, then do not worry. Do Yoga, and you can get out of this.
TheGifted
I think we are.

I watched a program today about a 7 year old boy who reached 15stone and passed out!

This may be a small case but it is rising drastically. I think that the government should do a lot more in schools with regards to Physical Education, Home Economics classes teaching children about a healthy lifestyle.
emjawa
I don't think it's the fact that the children are eating too much but more to do with the fact that they don't do enough exercise. They're driven everywhere and don't help out around the house - they're generally just lazy buggers.
frozenhead
Uhmm.. I think the real problem is children don't involve themselves in physical activities (exercise). They're more involved with techy stuffs that doesn't contribute much of that physical activities. Food may be secondary factor (my opinion) in this matter.
jongoldsz
Obesity is a severe problem, but kids being lazy isn't the whole story, it is also the fault of all the unhealthy food that is being made by places like McDonalds.
mantasx
Quote:
crisps & chips are already outlawed in many if not all schools now.
I wish they did that in our schools (here in america, nj) Kids are eating junk for breakfast, stuff themselfs with hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, and all that stuff in school, and who knows what sort -- of they eat at home!
Vrythramax
Certain caloric intake (I think it's 1.500 calories to keep you wieght stable) but over eating, junk foods and some kinds of bad cholesteral ialong with the itske with overeating can casue obesity. One also has to have a geneitic disoposthun (sp?) towards this kind of behavior, is also a mojor factor. Which could alo lead to the condition.

Just mt thoughts. Smile
MasterfulMongoose
if you ever go to Disney World (orlando, FL) you will see the real status of the american obesity......i swear to god, its disgusting, every 10th or 12th person is obese and about 1 in 100 is so fat they need a wheelchair to get around.
Nameless
I think the banning of some unhealthy food from school canteens is really stupid on so many levels. I'll be the same canteens still have at least some food which is bad for the children (when not eaten in a balanced diet), if you ban it at school they're just going to bring it from home anyway, and I doubt it would help in any case. Every single person who is obese is obese by choice. They could chose to not eat crap, or to exercise enough to keep their weight down, but they don't. People who are a bit overweight, fine, but anybody who is obese is just really sad. You can't blame Macdonalds, or school food, or anyone else - the healthy food is perfectly available, as is excercise, and the only one at fault the person in question.
ludio_
Nameless wrote:
I think the banning of some unhealthy food from school canteens is really stupid on so many levels. I'll be the same canteens still have at least some food which is bad for the children (when not eaten in a balanced diet), if you ban it at school they're just going to bring it from home anyway, and I doubt it would help in any case. Every single person who is obese is obese by choice. They could chose to not eat crap, or to exercise enough to keep their weight down, but they don't. People who are a bit overweight, fine, but anybody who is obese is just really sad. You can't blame Macdonalds, or school food, or anyone else - the healthy food is perfectly available, as is excercise, and the only one at fault the person in question.

[sarcastic]Yeah, just like people who choose to be schizophenic or bipolar or have OCD or eating disorders. Why don't they all just snap out of it and stop being such awful people. They have no-one to blame but themselves[/sarcastic]
a.Bird
I think there are many reasons for this epidemic, most of which have been stated such as corporations (fast food, microwavable foods, sodas, etc.), lack of exercise (for various reasons), as well as lack of health education in schools (or rather, a lack of emphasis for its importance). Also, what I don't think was stated was depression, which is commonly coped with by utilizing junk foods that make you feel better (in the way smoking a cigarette can relieve stress, it's a vice).

Most importantly of all, I think PARENTING is the biggest source of this problem, and so many others. Your kids need you to make the right decisions. It's important to build trust with your kids and allow them to feel free as an individual human being, but it's equally as important to keep them safe by explaining why some decisions are bad ones. This includes teaching them what junk food is, and that there are healthy and delicious alternatives to junk food that will keep them healthy for a life time. You cannot just tell a young child what is good and what is bad without explaining it and deny them the right to decide for themselves. If you want them to make the right decisions the first time around, give them the knowledge and tools to do so.
Hunterseaker
It is true tha tobesity is a real problem, just look around you, you will see way to much fat people/kids. I sometimes see 6 year old boys on the beach with "fat boobs". People are just way to lazy these days.....
Because all the comforts we have, we don't move enough anymore, and we don't want to anymore. Do I care? yes I care, because I dont like fat girls Wink, now seriously: it is a major health problem, and over 10-15 years the people will be even fatter than they are now, so yes I care, I don't want to see that....
lerix
Well... obviously, obesity is expanding day by day. I think that a person chooses between being obese or not. If a person wants to be healthy and, its sad to say, to be "normal", they have to do the extra effort. Doing an extra effort can vary from eating a salad once in a while instead of mcdonalds or from just stopping to eat at fastfood restaurants. Even though I am not obese, i am very aware of the probabilities of me becoming obese, since being obese is as easy as changing one habit...

One thing people realised lately is the importance of exercising. I wasn't aware of it since I had a really deep physical education course last semester...
a.Bird
lerix wrote:
...I think that a person chooses between being obese or not. If a person wants to be healthy and, its sad to say, to be "normal", they have to do the extra effort...
I disagree. Many young children and young adults who are obese have grown up in a household where eating unhealthy, fattening foods is accepted. Now imagine this scenario from the day you are born to the age of about 15. That's a decade and a half of being taught directly from your parents (either verbally or by example of their own eating habits) that eating junk is acceptable. Did the child make the decision to be obese, or did the PARENTS make the decision for the child? I'm asking you to really think about this because young kids, whether intentionally or not, eventually take after their parents. It's a culture within a household.

Now, suddenly the child is faced with the idea of body image and personal health. Is it really that easy to put down the big mac that he's grown to know and love his entire life? Some may have sudden revelations and, coupled with the motivation of friends and loved ones, set out to change themselves. But what about an obese kid whose parents continue to eat at burger king every day and don't support their child's desire to eat healthier. What are his resources? How does he 'choose' to not be obese?
godam64
i have no problems with obesity right now but i think when i'm getting older and older i think i can become fat since my parents are quite fat. just reduce consuming junk food and try to stay fit and healthy with healthy food will keep a normal shape. obessity is can be cured but take time Laughing
Vrythramax
godam64 wrote:
i have no problems with obesity right now but i think when i'm getting older and older i think i can become fat since my parents are quite fat. just reduce consuming junk food and try to stay fit and healthy with healthy food will keep a normal shape. obessity is can be cured but take time Laughing

Obesity is not just a simple problem it is condition that must be delt with. Look hoy many people have thier stomach stapled in order to deal with the problem....many more suffer even more radicle procedures to combat the issue.

To say someone is just fat is rather an insult.
{name here}
The solution to obesity - don't eat more than you need. I'm a computer junkie so I don't eat a lot because I don't need to. A hobby is all you need to kill obesity.

Hobby -> Lose track of time -> Eat less
At least that's how it works for me. Probably not a solution for many people, though.
SFMeatwad
Laziness; computers; eating habits.

Eating occupies bored children, e.g. fat kids, etc.

I'm on a 2000 calorie diet and sugar free stuff and I've never dieted and I actually enjoy it. Smile

Progress makes you feel better as life goes on.
blueman
obesity as such is the result of no work and only eating routine. and i think most people who are obese are lazy to do anything or just love to have food and snacks, though i've seen people who are like born obese.
meet in rio
I find it slightly amusing that people will say 'tut tut---put that cigarette out: you'll get cancer, be wrinkly, become sexually impotent and taste like an ashtray' but hardly anyone will dare to say 'stop eating that hamburger before your arteries clog up, you can't fit into your jeans and you become lethargic and unattractive'. I suppose you can enjoy the odd chocolate bar and still be fit as a fiddle, unlike smoking, but still. Obesity is socially acceptable.

Perhaps fat tax and health subsidies on foods are the way forward. (And this coming from someone who lives for ice cream and pizza.)
rekluzz
I used to work in an extended care facility, and the number of obese seniors that can no longer do things for themselves puts a real strain (pun intended) on the staff that have to care for them. It took 3 people just to transfer one guy from the bed to his wheelchair!
I recently watched a show about a 750 lb man in the US. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/20/AR2005092001841.html?nav=hcmodule
It took 8-10 people to get him from the stretcher to the bed in the special hospital he was admitted to that caters to only morbidly obese people. His knees gave out on him one day, and he was confined to his bed for 7 years after that before dying at a young 39.
If you are obese and mobile now, start thinking about how you will spend your future.
violetgnu
I agree that all you need is a little physical activity to stay fit. One can be fit without being thin, though, and one can be thin without being fit (case in point, me. I'm thin because I spent too much money on a pair of sennheiser headphones and an electric guitar and am therefore an involuntary, badly planned vegetarian) Obesity is a problem that's only getting bigger.

But, I think that one thing that should be eliminated culturally foodwise is the idea that something is either healthy, or it is tasty. Apples are perfectly tasty alternatives to candy, and dried fruit makes great chip like snacks (though, probably quite sugary, ah well, still delicious and somewhat helpful).
tijn01
Its a sign of the general laziness in our society. Nobody rides bikes anymore, nobody wants to walk anywhere and they want their entertainment put in front of them, so they don't have to make there own.
We used to climb trees for fun, now kids sit and eat bad food and play computer games, maybe if life was more directioned towards doing things for ourselves there wouldn't be this obese problem, kids in Australia are FAT!
ludio_
rekluzz wrote:
I used to work in an extended care facility, and the number of obese seniors that can no longer do things for themselves puts a real strain (pun intended) on the staff that have to care for them. It took 3 people just to transfer one guy from the bed to his wheelchair!
I recently watched a show about a 750 lb man in the US. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/20/AR2005092001841.html?nav=hcmodule
It took 8-10 people to get him from the stretcher to the bed in the special hospital he was admitted to that caters to only morbidly obese people. His knees gave out on him one day, and he was confined to his bed for 7 years after that before dying at a young 39.
If you are obese and mobile now, start thinking about how you will spend your future.

How did this guy manage to stay obese if he couldn't get out of bed? Somebody must have been giving him the food to keep him that way.
raaeft1
Lack of exercise,junk food and lots of sugar are responsible for overweight. I don't think that non-veg food is responsible for obesity.Of course, one must eat non-veg stuff in moderation to keep cholesterol/uric acid levels under check.
raaeft1
A doctor friend advised me to eat everything I desired but in moderation. According to him, moderation means control on quantity. If one eats in this manner, then obesity should be a thing of the past and there should be hardly any cravings left.
{name here}
The easiest way to kill the disease is to find a hobby. My hobby is computers. Since I tend to my hobby often and it requires little energy. As a consequence I don't eat as much and I'm skinny as a rail.
FaLLeN
This may sound a little harsh, but i think fat people should stop complaining to others.
They all say "help me blah blah ive tried to lose weight etc" but if they tried so hard, how come they managed to gain more weight or stay the same?
Its because they dont want to lose weight enough.
Basically what im saying is, they are digging their own grave, and it's up to them to get out.
XSTG
I am obese, if you wanna know I'm actually 13 years old, and i'm around 80 kg (176 lbs) and I am about 1,65 m tall.

I don't care about this "problem" because I do not take weight. If I become taller, it'll be just all right.
funnyerror
Obesity is not untreatable. It just requires the affected person to become dedicated to fixing it. I know some might starve themselves thinking this is the resolution, but this can lead to other, more serious health problems. Just eat right and exercise.... that's the key

-FE
ninjakannon
funnyerror wrote:
Obesity is not untreatable. It just requires the affected person to become dedicated to fixing it. I know some might starve themselves thinking this is the resolution, but this can lead to other, more serious health problems. Just eat right and exercise.... that's the key

Although I agree with you overall there, I must add another point of view.

I am already really slim, I just sit at the computer far too much so I'm unhealthy but not fat at all. Now, I thought that as I don't get so much exercise, what would happen if I ate less when I knew I wouldn't need the energy? Well, I didn't eat when I got hungry, I kept meal times regular but just had less to eat and I actually felt better about myself. I didn't actually need to feel full all the time, or eat as soon as I got hungry. It saved a bit of cash too. Razz
raaeft1
Two Ayurvedic herbs---Triphala and Shudh Guggula--- are doing wonders in reducing my weight gradually.
Himalaya Drug Company is selling these herbs in capsule form. The normal dosage is one capsule each along with lunch and dinner.
These herbs also reduce cholesterol.
ninjakannon
raaeft1 wrote:
Two Ayurvedic herbs---Triphala and Shudh Guggula--- are doing wonders in reducing my weight gradually.
Himalaya Drug Company is selling these herbs in capsule form. The normal dosage is one capsule each along with lunch and dinner.
These herbs also reduce cholesterol.

How do these herbs reduce your cholesterol? Are there any side effects, wanted or unwanted?

I'm glad you're using more natural methods of trying to reduce your weight, but I still think that the best method of all is to go out and get exercise - no matter how little, just go until you sweat. Then, keep working up from there.
mstreet
I think the key thing is are you happy and are you healthy. I also think the issue is "Where does your food come from?" Do you know? Its being aware of the choices out there when it comes to food. Knowing alternatives knowing that a lower-class family doesn't need to live off kraft dinner that there are healthier alternatives and one can actually eat healthy and not have a lot of money. Education and knowing how to make things is key. Not being lazy as well. Making the time for making actual meals I also think is key and not relying on easier processed things.
sbel
I think it's the school authorities. Feeding kids junk in school may be economical but it's unhealthy in the long run.

But i guess Jamie Oliver's a good help since he's trying to revolutionize in the UK
ninjakannon
sbel wrote:
I think it's the school authorities. Feeding kids junk in school may be economical but it's unhealthy in the long run.

You blame it on the schools, like everyone blames everything on the schools. But when it comes down to it, a caring parent wouldn't allow their child to eat junk food at school (unless some circumstance made it impossible not to).

Obviously school lunches need to be improved, even if prices have to go up it would be worth it. Furthermore, parents need to care and then act - achieving this is far harder.
Insanity
In our school district, they got worried about all the junk food we were eating, so they decided to ban all soft drink sales on campus. Needless to say, this was the source of income for many departments on campus; the athletics department used the money from vending machines to fund sports, and since there are no more sales from soft drinks, they are at a big budget deficit, which is sort of ironic.
ninjakannon
Insanity wrote:
In our school district, they got worried about all the junk food we were eating, so they decided to ban all soft drink sales on campus. Needless to say, this was the source of income for many departments on campus; the athletics department used the money from vending machines to fund sports, and since there are no more sales from soft drinks, they are at a big budget deficit, which is sort of ironic.

I would say that it's kind of ironic that your Sports department was selling soft drinks. After all, drinking them won't make you any better physique-wise as they're just unhealthy, shouldn't they be selling bottles of water?

Why don't you try and replace the things you're taking away with healthier drinks or foods? If that's all that's available then people will buy them, they'll have to.
bikeflyer05
I think soon 90% of the worlds population will be obese. They are opening all of these fast food places everywhere. I remember whatching a documentary on McDonalds. I cant remember but this guy went around countries eating at all the McDonalds. Then he went to schools to observe what was on their menus for lunch. (all fatty foods) But yea Alot of us will become obese if your already not.
ninjakannon
bikeflyer05 wrote:
I think soon 90% of the worlds population will be obese. They are opening all of these fast food places everywhere. I remember whatching a documentary on McDonalds. I cant remember but this guy went around countries eating at all the McDonalds. Then he went to schools to observe what was on their menus for lunch. (all fatty foods) But yea Alot of us will become obese if your already not.

90%? I think not! Think of all the people in poverty, and those in third world countries in places where it's almost impossible to get fat (excluding the condition people get from not eating enough (bloated stomachs)).

Unless you mean something like "soon 90% of all the people in more economically developed countries will be obese". Which I can understand, although I hope people would realise that they were being ridiculously stupid before it got that bad.

Also, don't blame McDonalds (I'm not saying you were, this is just a general statement) for people being unhealthy. If they wanted they could go to other shops / restaurants and get healthier foods. Anyway, McDonalds is now trying to provide healthier options.
Slick
i think alot of the problem is the econemy, parents have more concern over how much money they have to support there family and therefore work more hours thus spending less time with there children!

i remember as a child going out with my parents to parks, large grounds and playing alorts of activities...

that said it would involve other familys and friends, again this "community" activity of meeting up for a large game of football and say a picnic has also stopped with familys rarely going out and if so on there own!

ive noticed alot of places where as a youngster i used to lay football (soccer) have had "No ball games" signs put up!

this a sign forcing youngsters to go further afield if they want to play ball games... and most will simply stay in and play there console or pc!
ninjakannon
I totally agree with you, Slick. But there are more reasons than the simple view you suggest.

For a start more women are going to work than ever before and therefore have no time for meeting up with other mothers and their children for a picnic or some similar activity. This is a great shame, and is actually causing harm to many young children in a variety of ways.

For a start, young children can't go out with either of their parents because they're either both at work (in which case the child will be at school, home alone or in the trust of a nanny at home). It's too dangerous for very young children to go outside so they stay in - so what do they do? Well, in this new age there are computers and gaming consoles which can provide endless hours of entertainment. So parents buy these 'great' 'toys' for their children because it's easy (and now these things are must-have items) and won't fail to please.
So the children use these things and everything happens so quickly, have you noticed how people get annoyed when it takes 0.4 seconds for the start menu to pup up after being clicked? Everyone now expects things to happen immediately.
Henceforth, we have a generation of kids who sit around playing on computers and/or gaming consoles because they can't think of anything else fun to do. They can't go outside either because it's dangerous and/or because there's no where to go. And if there is somewhere to go and it's not to dangerous, then they soon get bored because it's just not happening fast enough.

This makes me wonder about how right it is that both parents are allowed to work if they have children to take care of. There are far more problems than the few I have pointed out which are caused by this. I believe that it's best for children, when they're growing up (the necessity of this therefore decreases when the child / children in a family get older) and when they're not at school, to be with a parent who has time to be with them and take them out to parks and on walks. Children should not allowed to be on gaming consoles or computers for hours straight every day, I am [on my computer] quite a lot but I really wish I had never got into the habit and I admit it is hard to get out of, I just hope I do sooner rather than later.
Zenireth
cruisearound wrote:
Are we heading to an obesity situation in the UK similar to the US.
Just lately as any parents out there will already know, theres been a large shake up in what children can & cant eat in school. Fizzy pops, crisps & chips are already outlawed in many if not all schools now.
But if you look around, young kids do seem to be increasing in size as time goes on.
Do we have an obesity problem, do you care, does it bother you, sould people be left alone with the old cliche "im overweight but im happy".
Discuss

I consider my self really lucky im lazy and i eat alot just i got a brilliant digestive system i could probably eat a buffe and gain like 1 pound or something like that! but i do think Uk is falling into obesity.

P.s so hard to find a non fat girl friend now adays!
The_Gamer294
sigh.. i hate it when fat people get so mad because they're fat. its their body and their fault.