FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Euthanasia for Fish

Drawingguy
I don't want to get into a long-winded topic on morality or ethics (because that would go in the philosophy and religion section), so let's just assume that "mercy killing" for fish is right.

When does it become alright to put a fish down, either through blunt trauma, or temperature shock? At what point do you say, "This fish is too far gone to be treated, let's just kill it,"? I have no problem with killing a fish- hey, get an aquarium with ich or velvet and see what I mean- but what landmarks can I point to and say that once the fish has undergone ____, you should euthanize it?
.ZR.
I've never really thought about fish euthanasia before..
I'd guess it would be the same as any other animal. If the fish is gonna die and it's not going to be pleasent, it's best to 'put it out of it's misery'. But.. I really don't know how you'd go about figuring out if a fish is going to live or not.
I guess with larger fish it would be a lot easier than with the smaller ones. People never seem to realize there's something wrong with the smaller ones until they're already gone.
Rico
When the creature is so miserable and beyond recuperation that you can not bear to see it suffer any further. Do fish suffer? – I think so.
Captain Fertile
I heard that freezing a fish is the most humane of doing it but who knows?

I don't usually need to worry about such things, every fish I have ever owned swam up to the big Aquarium without any help from me.