FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

P2P Program for Linux

jay84h
Name your most favorite P2P program (download music, etc.) that is supported on Linux. I myself am looking around but have trouble attempting to find one.
outofnicks
I like Gtk-Gnutella because it's lightweight, not a bloated, slow Java app and does what I need it to do.
sush
Anyone using QTella? Small and tinny, but not too geek-friendly. I mostly use KTorrent for BitTorrent.
jay84h
I noticed aMule as well as XMule listed in Add/Remove programs so I choose aMule to install. I must say that it isn't that bad at all. I just have trouble attempting to find where the actual songs are downloaded. I looked into the preferences and kept in mind where the songs should be downloaded, but noticed when I attempted to look into the directory, that the directory isn't even displayed.
silentdae
I use Limewire and Shareaza (in windows). Also eMule and Azureus (for BT). I really only use uTorrent (windows) for my P2P needs nowadays though.
umeshtangnu
lime for linux is good but it bloats the system
silentdae
Yea, java is bloated and slow unfortunately.
JamesBond
aMule and Bittorrent are the conventional P2P softwares built for linux. You may even use Limewire or Azureus. DC++ will also be a good option..
LostOverThere
This should be locked.

P2P Programs are legal, but using them to get Music, Games or Movies is completely illegal.
silentdae
LostOverThere wrote:
This should be locked.

P2P Programs are legal, but using them to get Music, Games or Movies is completely illegal.

This shouldn't be locked. The only thing said that might seem illegal was:
jay84h wrote:
I just have trouble attempting to find where the actual songs are downloaded.

Downloading Music, Games, or Movies is not even slightly illegal. That is, unless they're copyrighted. There has been no mention of copyrighted material here.
lbowden12
Limewire has to be the best p2p file sharing software
tony
lbowden12 wrote:

actually, i think the little-known frostwire has to win this competition. It is a free, open-source equivalent to the latest limewire pro version. it also shares the same gnutella network as limewire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FrostWire
silentdae
tony wrote:
lbowden12 wrote:

actually, i think the little-known frostwire has to win this competition. It is a free, open-source equivalent to the latest limewire pro version. it also shares the same gnutella network as limewire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FrostWire

I always prefer open-source to proprietary software but i think i remember having problems with FrostWire. I don't know, i'll have to check it out again. I really don't use any P2P protocols but BT nowadays though.