FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USA v Canadian Candy

Captain Fertile
I was wondering if anyone form the USA or Canada could tell me if all the candy available in the USA is also available in Canada and vice versa.

Maybe there is certain candy you can get in one but no the other? If so can you give me some examples of which country has what candy that other doesn't.

I would be very interested to know as this is part of a larger project I am now working on.

Finally, if anyone would like to earn some FriH$ for telling me their favourite candy please visit my thread in the Marketplace:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-64390.html

Thanks guys. Smile
alkady
Of course, most major brand such as Hersheys, Cadbury, Mars and so on export their goods to Canada. The only difference is the back label in which is written "Imported by So and So Company" with the local health board approval insignia and in Quebec, the label is in French and English per Quebec Francization Laws.
herbert
Try the icelandic lacris. It's very good
Drago
I know at one time, a chocolate bar called "Coffee Crisp" was only available in Canada..........I'm not sure if it is now available in the US. This chocolate bar rocks. Cool
Captain Fertile
herbert wrote:
Try the icelandic lacris. It's very good

Can you go into more detail (if it is relevant to this thread).

I searched for the candy you mentioned but can't find details of it.
Eyvind
Hey Cap,

In Canada we have Smarties. They're kinda like M&Ms (candy-coated, tiddly-wink-shaped chocolates) except they DO melt in your hand (and you're supposed to eat the red ones last!). According to an American friend of mine, in the US a different candy with the same name exists. According to him, Smarties are smaller, pastel-coloured, kinda-chalk-like candies in a clear plastic roll (what we Canadians call "Rockets" or what the Japanese would probably call "ramune").

Canadian Smarties - http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands/smarties/index/

US Smarties - http://www.smarties.com/

Don't know if this helps or not but thought I'd offer it up anyway.

Take care,
Eyvind
Captain Fertile
@Eyvind

That is exactly the kind of info I need, well described and extra links for me to follow too.

Thanks a lot I appreciate it. Dancing
Crazy_Canuck
Based on a poll I put up on the Chocolate thread, it looks like two posters (one from Colorado; other one - dunno) didn't know what the "Caramilk" secret was!

Does that mean Caramilk chocolate bars are not available in the U.S.?

Caramilk is an absolutely fantastic chocolate bar, produced by Cadbury Adams Canada, a subsidiary, I believe, of Cadbury-Schweppes (a U.K.-based company). A regular size bar has eight (or 10?) separate pillow-like sections of milk chocolate, each one of which is filled with drippy, gooey, delicious caramel.

The "Caramilk Secret" is the long-running and highly successful hook of the marketing campaign: the unsolved "mystery" of how they get the caramel inside the chocolate. There are many websites devoted to "uncovering the Caramilk secret." Here's just one ... "The Caramilk Secret Revealed".

Enjoy!
Captain Fertile
@Crazy_Canuck

Thanks for posting. An Interesting point.

I believe in the USA the Caramilk is called Cadbury's Caramello and here in the UK it is called Dairy Milk with Caramel (originally just called Cadbury's Caramel).

I had not heard of that hook line before I read your post in the Chocolate thread and I was also interested by the link you supplied.

Am I right in saying you are from Canda where it seems is the only place Caramilk is available?
Crazy_Canuck
Captain Fertile wrote:
Am I right in saying you are from Canda where it seems is the only place Caramilk is available?

Yep, you are correct -- I'm in Toronto, Ontario. We have Dairy Milk here, but it is just a plain milk chocolate bar, no caramel.

The other thing I'm pretty sure they don't have in the U.S. but which are very popular in Canada (although they are a pastry, not a candy) is butter tarts. Are you in the U.K.? Do you have butter tarts?
Captain Fertile
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
Captain Fertile wrote:

Yep, you are correct -- I'm in Toronto, Ontario. We have Dairy Milk here, but it is just a plain milk chocolate bar, no caramel.

The other thing I'm pretty sure they don't have in the U.S. but which are very popular in Canada (although they are a pastry, not a candy) is butter tarts. Are you in the U.K.? Do you have butter tarts?

Yes I am in the UK. Believe it or not your small post about that candy bar in Canada saved me a lot of searching and alteration to my website in the future as I cross-match international candy brands, names and recipes. So I am donating 50 FriH$ to you as a thank you for making a large job a little simpler. Thank you. Very Happy

I am not aware of anything called Butter Tarts on the UK market but I am not as on the ball with pastries as I am with candy.

EDIT - The donation has been made to your FriHost$ account.
Crazy_Canuck
Captain Fertile wrote:
Believe it or not your small post about that candy bar in Canada saved me a lot of searching and alteration to my website in the future as I cross-match international candy brands, names and recipes. So I am donating 50 FriH$ to you as a thank you for making a large job a little simpler. Thank you. Very Happy

Why, it was my pleasure! and thank you! Good luck with your website!

I'll be sure to post here if I come across any other arcane North American candy knowledge!!
Captain Fertile
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

I'll be sure to post here if I come across any other arcane North American candy knowledge!!

If you haven't already visited I would like to steer you (and anyone else outside of the UK) here...

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-64390.html&highlight=
art-of-orion
usa is the king
Captain Fertile
art-of-orion wrote:
usa is the king

erm yeah... ...thanks for that most useful post - got your hosting yet?

Post number 5 but judging by this and your other posts so far I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Rolling Eyes
Crazy_Canuck
^^^ hehehe.

Okay, I've canvassed all my US-based online buds and have come up with some good stuff for you, I think.

Someone above suggested Coffee Crisp is available only in Canada. It looks like Nestle is now distributing Coffee Crisp across U.S., but it is still tough to find. There is actually a petition site that spent six years, apparently, getting Nestle to distribute it in U.S. Says they have, but seems to still be mostly unknown. None of my US buds had heard of it. Too bad, too as it's fantastic: multiple layers of thin wafer, alternating with coffee cream (small amount of real coffee in it, but mostly flavouring) and thin chocolate layers, coated in milk chocolate. Marketing tag: "Coffee Crisp ... the nice, light snack". Originally produced by Rowntree in Canada (Rowntree gobbled up by Nestle).
Crazy_Canuck
Other Canadian/not US chocolate bars -- these really obscure and not very popular (some with good reason!):

Eatmore. Truly horrific thing, very thin bar made of dark toffee, with some chocolate mixed in and lots of crushed peanuts. Made by Lowney's (now Hershey) in Canada. Marketed as an "alternative" to traditional chocolate bars. Marketing tag: "it's unique, but so are you." Looks like only a Canadian thing.

Cherry Blossom. Also by Lowney's, now Hershey. A single chocolate, about the size of your thumb and first finger making the ok sign. Dark chocolate outside, mound-like shape (flat on bottom), with a gooey syrupy centre surrounding a maraschino cherry. Take a bite, and it drips down your chin. Sickeningly sweet, but some folks like that. Haven't seen this in a long time, not even sure if it is still available.

Bridge Mixture. Comes in a box, light and dark milk-chocolate covered pieces of candy (orange and mint-flavoured creams, red and green jellies aka turkish delight, peanuts, raisins), different shapes and sizes. Very old-fashioned candy -- picture little crystal dishes filled with these as four ladies sit around in the afternoon drinking tea, nibbling on chocolate and playing, you guessed it, bridge. Hershey. These are really tasty.

More later ... (psssst, no need to pay me points, this is fun!!!)
Soulfire
I'm just more into the mainstream candy, I suppose.

Rolos
Milky Way
Snickers
Sweet Tarts
[Cadbury's] Caramello
Crunch

Etc...

All of which, I believe, is available both in the USA and Canada.
Captain Fertile
@Soulfire
Thanks for that I am sending you 5F$ (PAID)
@Crazy_Canuck
More great info I am sending you 10F$ (PAID) for some inside info on Coffee Crisp which has been something of an enigma in my research. According to some sites it is available here in the UK but I have never seen it.

I hope these donations are acceptable. Any problems or any more information just let me know.

Thank you both.

Regards
The Captain

P.S.
Quote:
A single chocolate, about the size of your thumb and first finger making the ok sign.

I think this was a great way of desribing the size of a circular object. Applause
deneb.star
Captain Fertile, how come that you are so interested in candies ? Are you in this business ?

By the way, I've made a reply to you other threads in the Marketplace Wink
Captain Fertile
deneb.star wrote:
Captain Fertile, how come that you are so interested in candies ? Are you in this business ?

By the way, I've made a reply to you other threads in the Marketplace Wink

Thanks for contibuting to my other threads.

If you read through my posts in my candy thread in the marketplace I explain why I am interested. If you still have questions after reading please just ask.

Thanks again for your help Smile
hofodomo01
canadian? i dunno, the canadians may have some stock of a british chocolate known as 'flake'....makes sense that they do...

But I also remember Canada had fuzzy peaches and cherry blasters (i think they're called that)...sour candies...havent seen those in the US.

If this even counts, I remember they had massive freeze pops for like, 50 cents each as well...
Captain Fertile
hofodomo01 wrote:
canadian? i dunno, the canadians may have some stock of a british chocolate known as 'flake'....makes sense that they do...

But I also remember Canada had fuzzy peaches and cherry blasters (i think they're called that)...sour candies...havent seen those in the US.

If this even counts, I remember they had massive freeze pops for like, 50 cents each as well...

Thanks for the info, I will check it all out and see what I can find out.

P.S. WHo is the guy in your avatar? Its a freaky picture!
Crazy_Canuck
hofodomo01 wrote:

Not sure about 'flake'. But yeah, confirm on the Fuzzy Peach and Sour Cherry Blasters -- a friend of mine who moved to Mexico and then back to Canada claims her U.S. friends request these by the kilo! Both are made by (Cadbury) Trebor-Allan in Canada, and are soft & chewy gummy/jelly pieces, irregularly shaped, rolled in fine sugar. Cherry blasters are pink and green; fuzzy peach are ... peach (hehe). Distinctive for their very strong fruit flavour.

Correction to above: Cherry Blossom IS still available, but I was mistakenly remembering it as dark chocolate, and in fact it's a milk chocolate with coconut in it, surrounding the cherry centre.

Here is a cool Canadian candy site that might be interesting for you, Cap'n ...
Captain Fertile
Thanks for that link, it has been saved and will be checked out.

Much appreciate that!
mantasx
I've never got a taste of Canada's candy (although i've been in canada), I think that U.S. candy is much worse! I've tried many different european candies, and I had not once cama accros cany with sharp taste of mints! I hate U.S. candy, because a lot of the original U.S. candy is minty! For example you look at a piece of candy: it's covered in dark chocolate, looks nice and sweet, but when you take a bite--- its minty!!! Why would people do that? And how do people enjoy eating such candy? And speaking of hershey chocolate, it taste very nasty sometimes.
Captain Fertile
mantasx wrote:
I've never got a taste of Canada's candy (although i've been in canada), I think that U.S. candy is much worse! I've tried many different european candies, and I had not once cama accros cany with sharp taste of mints! I hate U.S. candy, because a lot of the original U.S. candy is minty! For example you look at a piece of candy: it's covered in dark chocolate, looks nice and sweet, but when you take a bite--- its minty!!! Why would people do that? And how do people enjoy eating such candy? And speaking of hershey chocolate, it taste very nasty sometimes.

I think it all comes down to what you were brouhgt up with.

The American palette is brought up with Hershey chocolate and become educated to like Hershey Chocolate just as Europeans are educated to enjoy their own chocolate taste.

Many Europeans who first taste a Herhsey bar or other plain chocolate product (what I mean by plain in this instance is. no other ingredients such as peanut butter or nuts etc) feel it tastes rather unpleasant with descriptions ranging from, tasting like soap to tasting like paraffin right up to some people claiming it tasted like vomit.

The strange thing with this is that many Americans who taste European chocolate seem to like and even prefer the taste of the chocolate produced in Europe by companies in Europe and Imported such as Cadbury, Lindt and Suchard etc.

So this leads us to one of three conclusions:

1) Americans are more polite than Europeans and said they preferred European chocolate rather than their own US produced chocolate so as not to offend.
2) Plain US chocolate does, generally, have an inferior taste to itsEuropean counterparts.
3) For some reason the European palette struggles to become educated to the US flavour as quickly as the palettes of US customers become educated to European chocolate.

Personally I know which of the above I believe.
Estcher
My subjective opinion: Cadbury vs Hershey is an interesting one. Cadbury is very strong in Canada and you can buy all the normal Cadbury bars that you would see in the Commonwealth countries such as Australia and New Zealand. Proof is that you can always find Cadbury products in Canada and even find direct from the UK products (such as Buttons, etc). Cadbury makes chocolate that uses a better milk percentage and makes the chocolate more creamy. They also grind the chocolate longer - making a smooth cocoa butter base. Hershey, an American chocolate, uses less milk and ends up being slightly more brittle and acidic. We had a Hershey plant in Smith Falls, Ontario that people would flock to for the cheaper chocolate you could buy through their outlet store attached to the factory - but only for the savings, generally not the taste. Most Canadians do not prefer the taste of Hershey - we can purchase most of the Hershey products here such as the M&Ms etc.

Cadbury is considered one of the better companies. So is Nestle.
deanhills
Estcher wrote:
Cadbury is considered one of the better companies. So is Nestle.
I like Cadbury chocolate (have not had any for a very long time as I tend to overconsume on them) but in my experience of eating Cadbury chocolates in Canada, I found the Cadbury chocolates in South Africa and England much nicer. The Cadbury chocolates in Canada, although delicious, had just a slight taste of burnt cacao in them, whereas the taste in the British and South African Cadbury chocolates was much more delicate and smoother. You're right however that Cadbury is more popular in Canada than Hershey's. Hershey's has a bit of a syrupy taste to it. With regard to the OP question, I find that all candies in the US can also be found in Canada and the other way round. I just wonder however whether Canadians are as much into chocolate as their neighbours are. Would be interesting for a study to be conducted on this as well as what the comparison in percentage of obese people are? And a comparison of what people are eating in Canada vs. the United States. Smile
Bikerman
It is interesting how people's tastes adapt. In much of Europe Cadburys is not really regarded as Chocolate. It is popular here in the UK because people have got used to a very low quality over-sweet chocolate mix, but in France they would like it reclassified as 'chocolate candy'.
I don't eat chocolate very often, and when I do I like proper chocolate with a high cacao content.
A typical cadbury bar will be about 10% poor quality cacao mixed with another 10-15% cocoa solids, a big slosh of milk, 15% or more sugar, a good helping of vegetable fats, and some spices and flavouring.

It's not really chocolate, but people like the sugar Smile
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
A typical cadbury bar will be about 10% poor quality cacao mixed with another 10-15% cocoa solids, a big slosh of milk, 15% or more sugar, a good helping of vegetable fats, and some spices and flavouring.

It's not really chocolate, but people like the sugar Smile
I don't know whether it is the sugar, or the actual texture of the chocolate that is what used to be so great about it. When I was having chocolates I never ate the chocolates, more like relished them very slowly, as it probably should be. One tiny piece at a time. I do think chocolate is however not of the healthiest around. From what I have learned of a friend whose dog during Xmas time consumed all the liquor chocolates while my friend was wrapping them for Xmas presents, and was abruptly called out for a few hours. Her dog went through all of the liquor chocolates. So she obviously had to rush her dog to the vet, who then told her that the part that was more toxic to the dog and worrisome to him was not the liquor but the chocolate. There are so many toxic ingredients in chocolates - or candy chocolate as you correctly described it to be. Glad of you description however as I'd rather do without. Cadbury's was what I really liked in Canada, however in the UAE I adopted a taste for Swiss chocolate. I don't particularly like chocolate with too much cacao in it. Too bitter to my taste!
eday2010
alkady wrote:
Of course, most major brand such as Hersheys, Cadbury, Mars and so on export their goods to Canada. The only difference is the back label in which is written "Imported by So and So Company" with the local health board approval insignia and in Quebec, the label is in French and English per Quebec Francization Laws.

Every product in Canada has English and French on the label. Cadbury and Mars Canada (formerly Effem) produce all the products they sell in Canada within Canada; Mars has a factory in Newmarket, Ontario. Hershey's might not anymore; they used to have a factory in Smith Falls, Ontario, but that ended up closing and moving to Mexico.
deanhills
I'm quite partial to Swiss chocolate, if I go through a chocolate craze, which is not that very often. Lindt is not too bad, but I particularly like Sarotti chocolates. The white Sarotti chocolate slabs are my favourite.
ankitdatashn
This thread is making me hungry Wink

And Yes Deanhills,whits chocs are too good that I don't care about the brand,White chocs all the way Smile
MacGyverGirl
I do not know if you have seen the following website (http://www.ebulkcandy.com/sys-tmpl/canadiancandy/) but it lists chocolate bars found in Canada and not the USA. My favorite chocolate bar is Cadbury's WunderBar, with Coffee Crisp and Caramilk bars being close to the top of my list. A lot of Canadians who more to the USA say they miss Smarties. Americans have a candy called Smarties, but theirs are more like what we call Rockets, and they are not chocolate.
deanhills
MacGyverGirl wrote:
I do not know if you have seen the following website (http://www.ebulkcandy.com/sys-tmpl/canadiancandy/) but it lists chocolate bars found in Canada and not the USA. My favorite chocolate bar is Cadbury's WunderBar, with Coffee Crisp and Caramilk bars being close to the top of my list. A lot of Canadians who more to the USA say they miss Smarties. Americans have a candy called Smarties, but theirs are more like what we call Rockets, and they are not chocolate.
I prefer Smarties from South Africa. The candy coating is much softer and for some or other reason the chocolate tastes nicer too. Maybe the cows are different!
Twisted Evil
loremar

Both are not found in USA or Canda.
vidafenomenal
jaja. I don't think I can help. sorry.
kingdomgirl94
I know that Kinder Surprise Chocolate Eggs (Chocolate shell with milk chocolate on the outside and white chocolate on the inside, and an orange plastic container containing one of many wide varieties of small toys inside) are illegal in the US but VERY popular in Canada.

diffeny
I have been working for a Toronto candy importer, http://www.diffeny.ca, who import lots of US and UK candy.

Actually, US and American Candy Bars are very much the same, which applied to ingredients and place of manufacture.

Some funny facts to share with you all. KitKat, which is one of my favor, is made and distributed by "Nestle" in Canada. But, KitKat is made and distributed by Hershey in US. That is why you only see KitKat WHITE in US, but not in Canada.

Please feel free to visit our site http://www.diffeny.ca to see more imported US & UK candy, sold in Toronto.
deanhills
[quote="kingdomgirl94"]I know that Kinder Surprise Chocolate Eggs (Chocolate shell with milk chocolate on the outside and white chocolate on the inside, and an orange plastic container containing one of many wide varieties of small toys inside) are illegal in the US but VERY popular in Canada. They are very popular here in the UAE too, besides the chocolate is great quality as well.

I wonder why it has been banned in the US though. Does it have to do with swallowing the toys in it by accident?