FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless Adapter

mantasx
Hi, I did not know where it would be possible to post this so I posted it here! So I'm getting a laptop soon, and I want to have a good wirelles connection to the internet. The laptop I'm getting doesn't have an adapter installed, by the way. I checked out amazon and ebay and I thought that it would be smart if I would have more supported frequencies(if thats the correct terminology). I'm not sure if there is a lot of hotspots with 802.11x, but I'm sure there are. Is it possible to get all 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11b, 802.11x, 802.11n in one? There are many different ranges such as 50ft or 300ft outside according to some adapters and I thought it would be smart to get one with a greater range. I don't mind if there is an athena. I don't really care about the price as long as the adapter supports many frequencies and has a good range. I guess my question would be what would you suggest me to get? Thanks.
diduknowthat
I'm pretty sure it's possible to get most of the types of wireless capabilities in one card, as they're all backwards compatible. However, it won't do anything unless there's a high powered network, such as a wireless N network. If you use a wireless G router, a wireless n network c card won't give you any advantages.
Kelvin
You probably want to get an 802.11n wireless router if you want it to work (backward compatible) on 802.11b and 802.11g. I'm not sure if it will work on 802.11a as the 'a' wireless is using a different spectrum of 5.4GHz. 802.11b,g,n is using the 2.4GHz spectrum. Most laptops comes built with a, b & g capability.

The 802.11n is still in draft mode. However, i do not see any problem with that. Just need to install a firmware once it is out. 802.11n is expected to run much faster (hundreds of times) than 802.11g and have a much greater distance.

You can have a look at D-Link, Belkin, ZyXel or LinkSys wireless 802.11n range of products and decide for yourself. Most comes with 3 antennas. LinkSys' has a mini 'satellite' dish.
mantasx
Here, I think this would do...
are we allowed to post images?
http://www.amazon.com/SMC-Networks-SMC2536W-AG-EliteConnect-Universal/dp/B0000DBMJ1 This seems like it would support everything. Do you people suggest me to get this? It seem as if it supports both 2.4 and 5 Ghz... All frequencies.. SHOULD I GET IT?
Kelvin
It looks like the standard 802.11a, b, g wireless card. Did it mention that it supports 802.11n as well? If you r happy with the 3 available wireless networks, then it should be ok. In most cases, this is enough to get u connected to any hotspot.

I'm quite certain that it does not support 802.11n. There is no mention of the 802.11n standard whatsoever. I'm not sure about the wireless hotspots in your area and what frequencies they are using, but most places adopt the 2.4GHz spectrum.

Even if you decide to get the 802.11n adapter, you'll most likely be still working in a 802.11g network as it will take quite a while for the 802.11n draft to become a standard and for widespread proliferation n implementation. Unless you are going to get a wireless router for your home as well where u can enjoy the 802.11n speed & range improvements, the triple standard wireless cardbus adapter is sufficient.