FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Smoking: Help With The Bible





parokya
For Christians:

If you were convincing someone to stop smoking, which Bible passages would you choose and why?

I need the bible references. Thanks
RiCtee
Apparently the Bible doesn't say anything directly about smoking (maybe I'm wrong??). But you could try something about addiction. I found this from Google.
livilou
The bible doesn't say anything about smoking or not smoking, it does say that our body is the temple of the Holy Ghost though.

Verse:
1Co 6:18
Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

1Co 6:19
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1Co 6:20
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

But you can't use bible verses to make someone quit, if that were the case, I would have.

I hope this helps anyway.
ftasyo
parokya wrote:
For Christians:

If you were convincing someone to stop smoking, which Bible passages would you choose and why?

I need the bible references. Thanks


I don't know much about the Bible but one can I think find the passages about alcoholism and use them as a point of reference for nicotine addiction.
a_dubDesign
parokya wrote:
For Christians:

If you were convincing someone to stop smoking, which Bible passages would you choose and why?

I need the bible references. Thanks

Well the thoughts behind that, that smoking is a sin and one can't be a "good christian" and smoke, is shakey at best, but one a lot of people buy into. You can usually make better counter arguements.

Theres nothing that talks directly about smoking in the Bible, although like pretty much everything, if you torture something long enough you can get it to say what you want. The one's that livilou mentioned are the ones most generally used. Or like ftasyo said, a lot of people pull verses about alcohal, which really don't speak much to smoking, unless smoking is putting you in an inebriated state.

The whole thing smacks of legalism, Hypocrism (as in the biblical people the hyprocrits), and a huge step back from the religious freedom Christ came to give.
parokya
ftasyo wrote:


I don't know much about the Bible but one can I think find the passages about alcoholism and use them as a point of reference for nicotine addiction.


Do you have any samples of texts about alcoholism? And how does one relate such passages to smoking? I would imagine that the bible would not recommend alcoholism since it does make a human being irresponsible to say the least. What about smoking? It is a filthy habit but it isn't on the level of alcoholism.
parokya
a_dubDesign wrote:

Well the thoughts behind that, that smoking is a sin and one can't be a "good christian" and smoke, is shakey at best, but one a lot of people buy into. You can usually make better counter arguements.


Thank you for this observation. I think you are right in pointing out that the statement "one can't be a good christian and smoke" is -- as you say -- "shakey"

a_dubDesign wrote:
Theres nothing that talks directly about smoking in the Bible, although like pretty much everything, if you torture something long enough you can get it to say what you want. The one's that livilou mentioned are the ones most generally used.


I heard the arguments before, but I wish I had more of those "generally used" verses.

a_dubDesign wrote:
The whole thing smacks of legalism, Hypocrism (as in the biblical people the hyprocrits), and a huge step back from the religious freedom Christ came to give.


Hmmm. You know what, when smoking was introduced in Europe after the discovery of the Americas, people were prohibited from smoking only in religious services or when they were in Churches: presumably it was because of the smell. Friars and priests were told not to smoke because it was considered against the spirit of poverty (smoking was considered a luxury) -- but this was around the 18th century. Smoking has become a "sin" it seems in certain Christian circles, a status that it did not have when it was introduced in Europe.
Arnie
Just an important practical question.
Does this person want to stop smoking?
If no: it's no use trying to convince him with the Bible that he should unless he believes in the Bible.
parokya
Arnie wrote:
Just an important practical question.
Does this person want to stop smoking?
If no: it's no use trying to convince him with the Bible that he should unless he believes in the Bible.


The guy is thinking of stopping to smoke. I just thought of adding a few more reasons for him to stop. He does believe in the inspiration of Scriptures though.
tomahawk19
There is nothing in the Bible that refers to smoking, in fact on of the priests at the Catholic church (when I was Catholic) smoked, so good luck with that...
Yantaal
if he loves smoking and doesnt believe in the bible]

he might just use the pages for skins...
divinitywolf
Ok the bible doesnt mention any references to smoking but if you want to convince someone to stop smoking then just tell them that its a sin and that in a few years they'll die of cancer and go to hell.
tomahawk19
divinitywolf wrote:
Ok the bible doesnt mention any references to smoking but if you want to convince someone to stop smoking then just tell them that its a sin and that in a few years they'll die of cancer and go to hell.


However, at this point the person who said that would be lying and therefore considered a sinner, and since I'm assuming they believe in Hell, then they too would be headed there for lying. So that in itself would be wrong. There is nothing in the Bible about smoking, and it takes years upon years upon years to develop cancer if at all. And then it takes years to kill you if at all.
Captain Fertile
Quote:
Many of the world's ways of gratifying the flesh involve doing so at the cost of bodily health: smoking, hard drug taking and excessive drinking are examples of this.

Our physical health, our money, indeed all that we have really belongs to God. We are therefore not free to use these things just as we wish, but must act as stewards of what God has given us. We will be asked to give an account of our management of them at the judgment seat (Lk. 19:12-26).

Habits such as excessive smoking and alcoholic drinking are an abuse of both our finances and health. "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy...your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you...ye are not your own...ye are bought with a
price: therefore glorify God in your body" (1 Cor. 3:16,17; 6:19,20).

Abuse of the body through habits like smoking is therefore a serious matter.

However, it is recognised that if habits like these were formed before conversion, it may not be possible to break them in a moment. What is expected is a recognition of the badness of the habit, and a realistic effort being made to stop it.

The stresses of life should increasingly be met by recourse to the Word of God and prayer, rather than to any human form of
relaxant.

- From Bible Basics A Study Manual 4th Edition


I looked this up in one of my books and scanned it for you.

It stuck in my mind one day when I read it and made me feel uneasy about being a smoker and a Chrsitian. It alone may not make someone stop but it is one more incentive, a good one for a Christian.

I hope it helps, it helped me clarify what the Lord's stance might be on smoking.
indeedwrestling
Various passages from the book of Job, obviously.
Captain Fertile
indeedwrestling wrote:
Various passages from the book of Job, obviously.


Which verses?
and
Why obviously???
livilou
As a smoker, I can honestly say that you can't "make" anyone quit. While I appreciate what you are trying to do in helping your friend, it probably won't do any good. It comes down to one simple fact, if this person doesn't want to quit, nothing you can say or do will change his mind.

If you believe in the Bible and what it stands for, the best thing you can do is pray for your friend.
iZen
I to am a smoker, and there is nothing in the bible that will help me quit. Most of the things in the bible are very vauge, similar to the US Constitution, and are left up to the perception of the reader.
Captain Fertile
livilou wrote:
As a smoker, I can honestly say that you can't "make" anyone quit. While I appreciate what you are trying to do in helping your friend, it probably won't do any good. It comes down to one simple fact, if this person doesn't want to quit, nothing you can say or do will change his mind.

If you believe in the Bible and what it stands for, the best thing you can do is pray for your friend.


But if he DOES want to quit and is a commited Christian then passages from the Biblle will be another very strong incentive!
Deuc
a_dubDesign wrote:
The whole thing smacks of legalism, Hypocrism (as in the biblical people the hyprocrits), and a huge step back from the religious freedom Christ came to give.


You need to re-read Galatians and learn about what freedom in Christ really means. I'm not saying you can't smoke and go to heaven.
Jesus and His blood are much more powerful than smoking.

The point behind this is that smoking, not exercising, eating bad foods, drugs, etc. all point to the fact that you are being a bad steward
with the gifts that God has given you. If you really did have Christ living in you as the Christian Scriptures declare, you would work
at ridding yourself of these vices instead of abusing your freedom. You especially would think about losing those habits that
may cause others to stumble or lose faith.

So friend, encourage your smoking Christians to quit, but always remember that Jesus loves them as much as you (I'm sure you have your problems too).

Deuc
a_dubDesign
Deuc wrote:
If you really did have Christ living in you as the Christian Scriptures declare, you would work at ridding yourself of these vices instead of abusing your freedom.

Wow, I never knew that we had someone on the boards who was able to tell weither or not someone really had Christ living in them based on that persons habits. I struggle with porn too, I guess I definetly don't have Christ in me with that combination.

Deuc wrote:
You especially would think about losing those habits that may cause others to stumble or lose faith.

actually the passage was about Jewish converts trying to force their laws and cultural practices onto the Gentile converts, which is pretty much the complete opposite of how it tends to get thrown around. A common mistake.
jwellsy
When going through the tuffest parts of the nicotine withdrawls,
he may find a bit of comfort/reassurance in
1 Corinthians 10:13

Quote:
No trial has overtaken you that is not faced by others. And God is faithful: He will not let you be tried beyond what you are able to bear, but with the trial will also provide a way out so that you may be able to endure it.
Related topics
Partial Smoking ban breaches human rights - UK
Man smokes cigarette, dies instantly
Quit Smoking
Versions of THE Holy Bible
Fate of our Universe
Concepts of a New Religion/New Bible?
Most Christians do not read the Bible, this is a fact!
ABC: Christians and Atheists to Debate the Existence of God!
...all religion aside - is it wrong to be gay?
Stop Smokiing...
Who knows about the bible
How to Quit Smoking
Welbutrin (smoking?)
why does the bible and the quran contain contradictions
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Philosophy and Religion

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.