FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sachin Vs Lara - Who is the best???

georgekalathil
The speculations and arguments over Sachin and Lara are almost approaching an end, as both of these world class players of contemporary cricket, are approaching the end of their careers. There had been hot arguments and debate, from the time these two players started being notified. Both are contrasting in nature and have different styles. One is a left handed, while other a right handed batsman. Both have reached many spectacular personal milestones and has been praised by the cricket fans all over. But there was always a major question. Who is the best among the two? At one point Sachin Tendulkar made a point with his stellar performance, that he is the King among the Kings. But of late due to some other reasons, i think that Brian Lara has overtook Sachin in many aspects......Even Ricky Ponting is also putting claims for the best batsman. At this state its pretty clear is that Lara is the best batsman in contemporary cricket. Sachin has become a pale shadow of his former self and is no more the aggressive Sachin of the past.
I welcome everybody to share your views and opinions on this matter, as who is the best.......
thanks and have a nice debate.....

George K Abraham
India
abhishek_2410
well i dont think that lara is better than sachin.sachin is the best and he will be the best until and unless he retires.a good batsman is that who can play well and score runs in every forms of cricket.though lara and ponting are chasing well sachin in test cricket they have to go a long way as far as odi s are concerned.this can be seen in the recordbook.also sachin is now not playing as an attacking batsman dosnot mean he has become worse.cricket is abt makingefforts to let ur team win.another point with sachin is that he is a good bowler too.also he is backed upon by so many people that he feels more pressure than ponting or lara.during these days he is suffering fm many injuriis due to which he cant concentrate on his game but soon he will be back.
georgekalathil
abhishek_2410 wrote:
well i dont think that lara is better than sachin.sachin is the best and he will be the best until and unless he retires.a good batsman is that who can play well and score runs in every forms of cricket.though lara and ponting are chasing well sachin in test cricket they have to go a long way as far as odi s are concerned.this can be seen in the recordbook.also sachin is now not playing as an attacking batsman dosnot mean he has become worse.cricket is abt makingefforts to let ur team win.another point with sachin is that he is a good bowler too.also he is backed upon by so many people that he feels more pressure than ponting or lara.during these days he is suffering fm many injuriis due to which he cant concentrate on his game but soon he will be back.

Abhishek, we cannot just judge a batsman by the number of runs he has scored, but the number of times his runs has caused to the victory of his team. In these aspects its truely clear that Lara, Ponting and even Inzamam is well ahead of Sachin. Its clear that sachin is not a great match winning batsman as Lara and Ponting. Ofcourse Sachin has won matches for India, but has always flopped in the big stages, where Lara and Ponting has excelled.
abhishek_2410
sachin has set up such high standards for him that if today he plays 80 runs ppl consider it as his failure until and unless he makes a century.also sachin is an opening batsman .The opening batsman knows absolutely nothing about the pitch's bounce/turn/cracks location and their relevance before he actually plays on it. The middle order batsman always has the advantage of knowing these things beforehand from his fellow batsmen.Lara has got unique capability of playing long innings which Sachin lacks. But the consistency factor is with Sachin. Lara plays POWER cricket (Serena) while Sachin plays CLASS cricket(Graf). Sachin is a great teacher in himself. You can learn a lot about good batting by just watching Sachin's batting, every book shot just goes perfect(ex Straight Drive), and he has somewhat invented shot like Paddle Sweep which other batsman find very-very difficult to master. Lara also has quality foot work, I think it's best in the world but that is also gifted from home conditions: most of WI batsmen have great footwork bcs they are used to such tracks that they can't manage without footwork while for Indian batsmen most of them have poor footwork but still they perform well(Sehwag). Sachin I feel have managed well even in this field, he has good footwork if not as great as Lara.
I fully agree that Lara has played some really brilliant knocks, these knocks have so deeply overwhelmed us that we only remember innings and forget the other huge part of his batting career...I must use the word POOR for his performance during most of his batting career as compared to Sachin...Lara was in dark in recent times i.e. 3-4 years when compared with Sachin till he struck 400 and ppl forgot all those years of clear dominance by Sachin, one innings makes such a huge difference and again the comparison was ON...
The other thing that always troubles me when ppl say Sachin is not a match-winner...We all know what service he has done to the Indian team in all the World Cups, entire '92-'99 phase and every now and then in recent team wins but definitely now Indian team doesn't rely only on him...There was a time when India hasn't won even 1 one-day without Sachin's fifty for over 50 ODI matches...This reflects the level of dependance on this man...
abhishek_2410
other thing is that if sachin scores century and team loses then it is not his fault.cricket is played by 11 players and all members must contribute.even many centuries which sachin struck lead his team to victory.the no of matches which sachin has won for his team is more than lara.also talking abt imp matches one point i would like to raise that leading yr team to play an imp match by playing well in league matches matters matters more than playing well only in finals.world cup is considered to be the most imp.look at the runs scord by sachin and lara in wc and u will see that sachin rules.also how many finals wi has played as compared to india.india has played more finals as it is better team than wi.if in 10 matches u play one final and score a century cant be said better than a team who plays 3 finals in 10 matches and his star player wins only one final for him.ppl wont remember the final that he won but the 2 finals in which he didnt perform.this is the case with sachin.
sajanzv
I think ODIs and Tests are two different ball games altogether.

While its hard to find a comparable batsman to Sachin in the ODIs, in the Tests, its quite obviously Lara .... actually Ponting to a higher degree, who are better Test batsmen.

Compare how many double centuries Sachin has in the longer version of the game with Lara and Ponting.

But I think greatness again is not a measure of your team success or such. Bradman said it rightly back when Sachin was in peak form, "He is the closest to me" (paraphrasing). I think that says a lot about Sachin.

I remember the way he took apart Shane Warne, the greatest bowler in the world, in India and Sharjah. That year was when Sachin was really dominant.

So is Sachin or Lara better? I would go with Lara in tests, he has been way more consistent I feel. And in ODIs, I would go with Sachin
Sunny
I've always felt Sachin is best because of his compact play but in last few months his unwillingness(due to some reason that I can't understand) to attack spinners has disappointed me a lot, way he played spinnners in last test in south africa was very boring indeed.
abhishek_2410
ya thats tru i also dont understand why nowadays he is playing so defensively.he is the best and he shud bat like a ruler who dictates the bowler which way to bowl.another disappointing thing is the way in which he gets out.most of the time he gets out on such loose balls which even an ordinary batsman wud have played for a boundary.also nowadays most of his shots r played direct to fielders unlike past.which lowers his strike rate.sachin shud understand that he has now nothing left to prove.he shud bat in his usual way like always looking to score runs in each ball rather than making a plan that he is going to play a no of overs in this manner or other because in cricket there is only one ball which can make u out .
Master Yoda
georgekalathil wrote:
Abhishek, we cannot just judge a batsman by the number of runs he has scored, but the number of times his runs has caused to the victory of his team. In these aspects its truely clear that Lara, Ponting and even Inzamam is well ahead of Sachin. Its clear that sachin is not a great match winning batsman as Lara and Ponting. Ofcourse Sachin has won matches for India, but has always flopped in the big stages, where Lara and Ponting has excelled.

Yes, I totally agree with this. Although, the batting average is also a good way to pick out a good batsman. But still, it's too difficult to maintain a high average after playing more than 200 matches. I say that if a player is able to maintain a high and sufficient average then I'd say that it's great and that he certainly is one among the best if not the best in the world, which is an inexorable truth.
Tokci
Well it a difficult one but both are masters of their own domain...Sachin is God in one day cricket and Lara is unstoppable in Test cricket.

Age is now catching up with sachin but I still believe he will be of great importance in the worldcup.

Lara has a knack of played really huge innings in test matches and firing when the teams needs him most.

I think the debate will go on forever but ppl tend to forget one thing...the way Ricky Ponting is playing nowadays he is bound to be one of the greatest ever.

But then again Ponting has one thing going in his favour...he doesn't have to face bowlers like McGrath, Lee and Shane warne. Wink
photon
Well there is no straight forward answer to this actually. Both are good in their own way. But i somehow have a partiality towards sachin (as im and indian). THis doesn't mean that lara is not great. Like i said, its very difficult to compare 2 legends.
mattyj
I think Lara was technically a more sound Batsman and had a much better temprement...I mean he made 500 runs in a first class match, do you know the concentration needed for that?! He also made 400 in a test, i go with Lara all the way

watch out for Ponting to surpass both by the time his career has finished Smile
bonestorm74
Ponting's form over the last few years has been without peer. If he keeps it up for another few years he will be regarded as the greatest contemporary player I believe.

He has also played his best cricket whilst having the added pressure of captaining the team. Both Tendulkar and Lara struggled with captaincy at times.
georgekalathil
Yes. Although Poting is having a purple patch in test cricket, It doesnt means that he can be compared with greats like Sachin and Lara. Maybe he may finish with the most number of runs and centuries in test cricket, but then also there is no comparison of Ponting with Lara and Sachin, in terms and talent and greatness. The fact is also that Ponting has rarely batted under pressure, like Sachin and Lara. He event hasnt played against the best bowlers of contemporary cricket such as Mcgrath, Warne and Lee. Also look at the number of test played by India and Australia in a calendar year. India plays only few test matches when compared to Aussies. This affects the scoring rate of a great batsmen like Sachin.
mattyj
georgekalathil wrote:
Yes. Although Poting is having a purple patch in test cricket, It doesnt means that he can be compared with greats like Sachin and Lara. Maybe he may finish with the most number of runs and centuries in test cricket, but then also there is no comparison of Ponting with Lara and Sachin, in terms and talent and greatness. The fact is also that Ponting has rarely batted under pressure, like Sachin and Lara. He event hasnt played against the best bowlers of contemporary cricket such as Mcgrath, Warne and Lee. Also look at the number of test played by India and Australia in a calendar year. India plays only few test matches when compared to Aussies. This affects the scoring rate of a great batsmen like Sachin.

Ok australia might play more tests but Ponting still has a batting average above 60

And he might not have to face McGrath and Warne, but he can only face what the countries bowl to him, that shouldnt be held against him
frih
now a days lara is more powerful than sachin. now sachin play good in some matches only. but lara plays best in all matches.i think sachin must get retired from cricket.

regards
abhi Confused
Fake
Lara is a more mentally composed than Sachin

Lara has never had the luxury of playning in a great team as Sachin enjoys, or having to bat like any other Aussie does

The whole WI depends on him to perform

SO over the years, Lara has been a better batsman
georgekalathil
but one also has to consider the heavy toll Sachin has been carrying on his shoulders for a long time.....
mattyj
georgekalathil wrote:
but one also has to consider the heavy toll Sachin has been carrying on his shoulders for a long time.....

you have a very biased opinion, you think the answer is Sachin and dont like others having an opinion, i cant remember Sachin ever scoring 400 in a test? or 500 in a first class match? I think the answer between these 2 is very obvious...and like Fake said, Lara hasnt had a good side around him like Sachin, Sachin has played with great batters like Laxman, Dravid, Ganguly, etc and in his earlier days Shastri, Lara has never really had another top class batter in his team , with the exception of Chanderpaul sometimes living up to his potential and batting well
kany
WEll you can't just say that who is the best batsman by judging that how much runs he has scored it matters only when you score them at the time of need and against some class team . As for tendulkar he is a great batsman but he belongs to india where all pitches are batting paradises and its easy to bat on them. He would have been counted brilliant if he had done better on southafrican or australian pitches. What ever it seems like both of these greats are getting to the end of their careers.
Bancan
Lara is better.
Fake
Care to elaborate more on it Wink
Thurya
Sachin no doubtly the best because he performed well in both ODIs and Tests. Lara is a all time great test batsmen. Both of them suck as Captains.
georgekalathil
yes it seems that SAchin is fastly approaching the end of his career.......
abhisheksingh
i think sachin is far better than lara . sachin is playing from wgen he was 16 has ,he played later he would have created average of 50 in odi and 60+ in tests
burqe
Hello,

Since sachin performed better than Lara, at the end, the word will be that sachin is better. However we can break down the analysis further.

Technically, both sachin and lara are exclusive but have some weaknesses. Lara is not ver good in playing shots square on the off. His technique is a bit weak against spinners. Sachin on the other side, relies on a fixed set of strokes. Both do not perform very well under pressure.

One of the bigger problem with Lara is a weak team, management, support etc. No one can keep batting alone. insufficient practice, fitness problems etc have made him a weak batsman and he departed cricket at a time when his team was in poor condition.

Over all, sachin did better but no one can be called better. Both are record breakers. I beleive that had lara given more chance, help, support etc, he could have done equally better.
web_harman
ofcourse sachin is best rather than lara.............

not because i am an indian but its pretty straight forward......

look at the no. of records and strength of recvords that sachin holds as compared to lara

yes lara does hold the record of highest no. of runs in an innings in test match but other than that it is all sachin whther its no. of centuries in one day internationals or test matches...

sachin holds the record of total number of runs in both the forms of cricket.....
georgekalathil
In terms of records, Sachin is far better than Lara..
mattyj
georgekalathil wrote:
In terms of records, Sachin is far better than Lara..

When Sachin scores 500 in a first class innings and 400 in a test innings, then you can say his record is "FAR BETTER" untill then that statement is false
viraj
One cannot compare legends..

Both of them are legends in themself. Both, of these legends have done best for their coutries whenever they were required...

So there is no question in comparing them... But.. my fav is and will be Sachin only.. b'coz we need only one at the top... and its none other than Sachin Tendulkar...

Kerry
No doubt can be cast on on Lara's or Sachin's abilities, consider:

1. Highest run scoring Indian with 11,782 Test runs. 2nd highest in the world, after Brian Lara.[4]
Career Average 55.31
2. Became the first Indian to surpass the 11,000 Test run mark and the third International player behind Allan Border and Brian Lara. Lara took 213 innings, Sachin 223 and Border 259.[5]
Second Indian after Sunil Gavaskar to make over 10,000 runs in Test matches.[6]
3. Tendulkar and Brian Lara are the fastest to score 10,000 runs in Test cricket history. Both of them achieved this in 195 innings.[7]
4. On 3 January 2007 Sachin Tendulkar (5751) edged past Brian Lara's (5736) world record of runs scored in Tests away from home. Tendulkar achieved this in 75 away Test matches while Lara had scored his runs in 66 away Tests.
5. Tendulkar has 4 seasons with 1000 or more runs - 2002 (1392 runs), 1999 (1088 runs), 2001 (1003 runs) and 1997 (1000 runs).[8] Gavaskar is the only other Indian with four seasons of 1000+ runs. Only Matthew Hayden and Lara have five seasons with 1000+ runs in International cricket.

But the bottom line for me is... who would I rather watch? Lara played cricket the West Indies way, with flare. The 153 not out he scored in Barbados was the best innings I have ever seen, I am not the only one to say that. At once he can rise to the challenge and in an instance blow out like a candle in the wind. I will never forget the occasion, after Lara had made over 150 runs, Ian Bishop as a cricket commentator said that this innings could be a big one. For most mortal batsmen that would have been a big one. Bishop was a prophet indeed because Lara went on to make the 400 runs to retain the title as the highest individual test scorer. Sachin's highest score in comparison is somewhere around the 290 mark. Muttiah Muralitharan, said Lara is the best batsman he has ever bowled to.

Lara is a genius yes, but a flawed genius, he is at once a heroic and tragic figure... this is his greatness... Simply a better entertainer that Sachin, and he did it all with no support from his team(unlike Sachin had).
georgekalathil
Lara is a genius yes, but a flawed genius, he is at once a heroic and tragic figure... this is his greatness... Simply a better entertainer that Sachin, and he did it all with no support from his team(unlike Sachin had).[/quote] What support did sachin had man. Sachin had to bear the whole burden of a team and a cricket crazy nation during his entire career. Sachin had some average players like manjerekar, prabhakar,Azhar, Jadeja etc until Ganguly and Dravid emerged on the scene. And during that period Sachin was the lone performer for India and has produced some of the best classic innings in the history of World Cricket. YOu cannot say X is better than Y, because X has scored more runs or the highest runs in world cricket. If you are taking this as the criteria, Pakistan's Saeed Anwas hold the record for the highest ODI score. Does that mean that he is better than sachin or Ponting or Lara. Never.....So Plz recheck yourself before posting such comments.
Kerry
You missed my point completely. This is what is so unfortunate. If you look at stats they are almost neck and neck in most aspects. But for me I would rather watch Lara any day over Sachin. Lara's bravado, skill and flare is what makes him special. Its this quality, for me, that puts him above the Indian icon.

And lets not forget that Wisden placed Lara 3 times on their top 100 knocks and Sachin didn't make the grade.
asim
Well reading all this made my head go spin. The right thingis that Sachin and Lara both are equally talented, you cant say that sachin is gr8er to lara or lata to sachin, both got immense talent and had shown when thier teams needed them, both had bad phase in thier respective carrers and they have overcome and shown wat cricket is to them. I equaly respect both players.
sarvesh_junk
If you really want to know who is the best among sachin, lara, ponting etc,
Then you must and compulsory follow the link, this will erase all doubts

i was a lara fan but the details made me beleive that sachin is the best

Here the link

http://bestbatsman.blogspot.com/
piyushbhardwaj
sachin is better than Lara.
I feel that he is more consistent and may become handy with the ball too.
His statistics also suggest that.
aakash_88
it is really very hard to choose between the two best batsmen the cricketing world has ever seen .....
But one has to go ahead and make a choice Iwould definitely choose as the better one precisely because of his ability to rise to the occasion..... He has shown the world what he is capable of on numerous occasions mostly when the country needed his services and has never played for a record pushing his country's intrests aside... true Lara had the record for most runs in an innings but it was on the cost of drawing a test which could easily have been won...BY his country sachin on the other hand readlily sacrificed his wicket when dravid batting brilliantly was about get run out in the 97 test series against australia....
mattyj
aakash_88 wrote:
it is really very hard to choose between the two best batsmen the cricketing world has ever seen .....
But one has to go ahead and make a choice Iwould definitely choose as the better one precisely because of his ability to rise to the occasion..... He has shown the world what he is capable of on numerous occasions mostly when the country needed his services and has never played for a record pushing his country's intrests aside... true Lara had the record for most runs in an innings but it was on the cost of drawing a test which could easily have been won...BY his country sachin on the other hand readlily sacrificed his wicket when dravid batting brilliantly was about get run out in the 97 test series against australia....

Ever seen? I dont think so

Don Bradman, Neil Harvey, Graeme Pollock, Garfield Sobers...even in modern times Ricky Ponting is not that far behind them
mattyj
georgekalathil wrote:
What support did sachin had man. Sachin had to bear the whole burden of a team and a cricket crazy nation during his entire career. Sachin had some average players like manjerekar, prabhakar,Azhar, Jadeja etc until Ganguly and Dravid emerged on the scene. And during that period Sachin was the lone performer for India and has produced some of the best classic innings in the history of World Cricket. YOu cannot say X is better than Y, because X has scored more runs or the highest runs in world cricket. If you are taking this as the criteria, Pakistan's Saeed Anwas hold the record for the highest ODI score. Does that mean that he is better than sachin or Ponting or Lara. Never.....So Plz recheck yourself before posting such comments.

You are quite possibly the most biased poster ive ever come across

"Plz recheck yourself before posting such comments" <--- ever heard of freedom of speech? just because someone doesnt agree with your opinion doesnt mean its wrong

and for the record, Sachin had MUCH BETTER PLAYERS WITH HIM than Lara...Sachin had Dravid, Ganguly & Laxman, and even Ravi Shastri at the start of his career, who has Lara had?
pscompanies
It depends on what type of game we are talking about..

Quote:
India's Sachin Tendulkar is celebrating breaking Brian Lara's world record for most runs in Test cricket, but he lags behind the West Indian when it comes to playing marathon innings.

Tendulkar surpassed the retired Lara's mark of 11,953 runs during the second Test against Australia in Mohali on Friday, but would dearly love to match a couple of "batathons" played by the left-hander.

Tendulkar holds four world records
1. Most runs in Tests (12,027)
2. Most centuries in Tests (39)
3. Most runs in ODI (16,361)
4. Most centuries in ODI (42)

However Lara is peerless when it comes to longer innings, he holds world records for
1. The highest innings in first-class cricket (501 for Warwickshire v Durham in 1994)
2. The highest innings in Tests (400 not out v England in 2004)[/quote]
Rajiev
I think Suchin is more reliable player than Lara. Suchin has consistant release of power and he builds a innings more nicely without playing risky shots. But Lara Simply busrts his way through.

I feel Suchin is like a nuclear power plant. more controlled release of power.

Lara in the other hand, is like a Atomic bomb. Boom Boom Boom Very Happy