FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD Burner not recognized anymore.

dickyzin
After I reformatted my computer, my DVD burner is not recognized by my Windows XP Pro, nor Easy CD and DVD Creator 6. I can read CDs and DVDs but I cannot burn it. I haven't changed any hardware or cables. What should I do?
sergio_ykz
What is your DVD model?

Many DVD Burner, Reader and Combo drives have programs.

Like my LG.
xyberz
You should go install the driver specifically made for your burner in order to get it to fully operate the way it should. Sometimes there are firmware upgrades like my DVD burner that I needed to get.
dickyzin
I don't think my DVD burner came with a driver unfortunately. I don't even know what brand it is.
sush
Open up your case and check the DVD drive for vendor and model information. Try to find a driver and/or check if device manager shows your drive as available but disabled.
aaahzombies
Is it detecting in BIOS?
If Not - Faulty DVD Burner/ Loose IDE Cable
If So - Scan for viruses or Spyware or most probably -
A problem exists when you uninstall such software such as InCD or Easy CD Creater - do a search in the registry for Upper and Lower filters - cant remember the exact name of the key, but delete those, reboot and walah!
dickyzin
It is being detected in BIOS. Windows also says it is DVD-RW for the drive description. I've burnt some data onto CD and it works now. But I can't burn any DVDs. Burning softwares aren't recognising it as a recordable drive. Any suggestions?
dickyzin
I tried flashing my DVD drive with a newer firmware. I have tried burning a DVD using PowerISO and it worked! This means that the DVD is working.

Now I need to try to install Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 again and check. My iTunes gave me some errors after the firmware upgrade.

I have a feeling that this problem could have been caused by iTunes. I have a feeling the problem occurred after updating iTunes and Quick Time.
Gustaf
I used to use deepburner as dvd and cd burning software.

It's free, simple, performant.

If it can help you:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/DeepBurner/deepburner.html
dickyzin
I'm still having this same problem for a few months now and still can't fix it. I'm just using Power ISO to burn my DVDs (which works perfectly fine). I tried reinstalling iTunes and Quicktime and to no avail. What's the problem here? Some advice is appreciated. I'd like to use Roxio again for creating DVDs.

I'll check out the deepburner as Gustaf suggested. Thanks.
Teezgaff
I would reccommend using VSO CopytoDVD. You can get a trial version at VSO website. It uses pcouffin driver set so usually gets around the windows errors.
dickyzin
I tried using Nero 8 and it worked with limitations. Whenever I start Nero Smart Start or something like that, my DVD Burner ejects and closes for about 4 or 5 times while Nero Smart Start was loading. Once loading is finished, the DVD Burner gets back to normal. Whenever I do some operation with Nero, the DVD burner starts ejecting and closing again. It's just weird. Anyone have this same problem? Or better, if anyone knows of a solution.
fadirocks
dickyzin wrote:
I tried using Nero 8 and it worked with limitations. Whenever I start Nero Smart Start or something like that, my DVD Burner ejects and closes for about 4 or 5 times while Nero Smart Start was loading. Once loading is finished, the DVD Burner gets back to normal. Whenever I do some operation with Nero, the DVD burner starts ejecting and closing again. It's just weird. Anyone have this same problem? Or better, if anyone knows of a solution.

just load nero straight
start --> run --> nero -w (-w if you want express, if you want classic then just type nero)
dickyzin
Yeah. Thanks. I guess I can only do it that way. That is, run nero directly instead of going through the StartSmart. I've also noticed that a lot of the times, Nero would write something onto my blank DVD as I insert in the DVD. Then it would tell me that my DVD is not empty.