You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What language course do you recommend?

I want to learn Korean and I have an old course that Diplomats use. I want something that has everyday language and that's visual. Mine is just a textbook and tapes....pretty outdated. Anyone recommend Rosetta Stone? Any other ideas?
Watch some Korean dramas or movies, with subtitles or course. Very Happy YouTube has some good ones but some are not very clear. This is probably the best and most entertaining way.
THere is one that is called Language Start or Something. It has all the languages that you can think of in one box. And it is all on the computer. It can even teach you to read and write korean. I learned french that way and i am pretty fluent and can speak simple conversations. It is a really good program. I just moved so if I find the box i will tell you what it is called. I also here Rosetta Stone is a very good program. My friend used it and he can speak fluent spanish now.
Hi. Korean sounds fun though I don't speak the language. Out of curiosity, why are you interested in learning Korean? I know some japanese women in their middle age started to learn korean because they are engrossed in korean dramas which have flooded japan in recent years.
A combination of old paper methods and CD records, as well as movies or books in Korean (simple to begin) might get you started. Reading and listening will help a lot. Writing a bit after a while helps remembering some crucial parts. Still the hardest part will be to speak. I'd suggest finding other people that would want to learn Korean too so that you talk with them as soon as you feel able to do so.
i would recommend Chinese.I went to China last summer and very few people coudl speak English.
The first recommendation would be English, then Chinese. Learning Japanese, Korean and Spanish will be interesting as well. I myself would love to learn Chinese language and hoping to be able to speak fluently, but a lot of people it is quite hard to learn as it has a lot of characters
gnllr wrote:
I want to learn Korean and I have an old course that Diplomats use. I want something that has everyday language and that's visual. Mine is just a textbook and tapes....pretty outdated. Anyone recommend Rosetta Stone? Any other ideas?

Just started using Rosetta Stone for Spanish, but I can't make any comments yet. It seems to require a computer to function, so it is not as handy the tapes I put on my mp3 player. I would work with what you have and try to watch the tv shows and read some childrens books.

good luck!!
If you want to learn a language for professional assistance, then the Best three option would be
1. German
2. French
3. Japnese

Note - I take into consideration that you know the Universal Communication Language, English.

Apart from these, if you learn a language course for FUN, then proceed on with any Language course, which you want to learn.

Let me know, if you wanna know, Indian Languages such as Tamil, Hindi, etc Cool

Keep Smiling Smile
For language learning, my personal opinion is to take a course in person. Especially if it's one of the Asian languages, since for westerners they are build on different things and it would be hard unless you have previous experience in that language. Learning Korean for a westerner is not the same as learning Spanish or French. Not only is the writing system different, the culture differences are enormous as well. Learning something off of CDs or tapes often won't teach you all you need to know to really function in that society.

But of course, again, that's my personal opinion.

In my case, I'm Chinese, fluent in it as well, and I got interested in Japanese years ago. Technically, learning Japanese should be easier for Asian people, especially Chinese, but even so, I got nowhere when I tried to learn from books and CDs (but that's mostly because I'd sit there for 10 minutes before I get distracted by pretty colors on websites or something XD)

When you take a course with a human teacher =P You pretty much have no room to slack, and you have a native speaker of the language you can talk to and ask about things you are not sure of the way you can't with those course Softwares.

So, I suggest looking up corresponding courses for the language of interest in a community college near you or something, since they often have adult courses that won't conflict with your job. o.ov
english and chinese if u want to be more flexible in all around the world...except for some country such as german and japan which usually demands u to speak in their language..
I always thought, and still maintain that, Spanish, just out of utility, should be a prioritized language right next to English. Yes, Chinese may have the most speakers (I think- if not, it has to be number 2), but where can you find people that speak Chinese? China (and Taiwan if you want to be technical). With English alone, you cover a good deal of countries, since most countries have mandated English courses. Now, with Spanish, you don't just get one country, you get so many. You have Spain, Ecuador, Mexico, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Honduras, Nicaragua, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Guatemala, and even some obscure region in Africa.
I would recommend Japanese and Mandarin. Why? Because the most widely spoken language is Mandarin, but it's very handy to know Japanese too. Or to be more precise, Nihongo.

When it comes to learning it's harder to learn Mandarin, especially if you're ambitious enough to want to learn how to write.

Nihongo is more fun to learn, but Mandarin is more handy.

If you're planning on being a romantic try learning french. Smile
Moved to the language forums.
I don't know if you've heard of Assimil. Their language courses are very good. I've used them to teach myself Dutch and Spanish in the past. The only problem may be that some of their titles are not available in English.

Anyway, the course comprises around 100 daily lessons. Every seventh lesson is a review of the previous six. First you listen to a short dialogue on the CD, then you read the grammar notes, repeat the sentences and do some exercises. After about seven weeks you start on the 'second wave': You're still learning a new lesson every day, but you're also reviewing one of the previous lessons every day as well.

I found it to be a very user-friendly system. It gets you using the language in a useful way. You practise speaking and listening with the audio material, the grammar is explained in a very clear way without unnecessary complication. And if you do a little bit every day, you make quick progress. At the end of the course, you should have a fairly extensive vocabulary.

And unlike some better known language programs, Assimil is reasonably priced.

Hope that was helpful. Good luck!
{name here}
I would reccommend a personal tutor if you can afford one. It's the best way to learn a language because there's always someone to help you along the way. If you can't afford a tutor try a book and/or tape system from the last 30 years or so(any older and the language might be archaic). I don't really reccomend Rosetta Stone. When you're learning the language through it it seems too cryptic when you get into even the less complex sentances. When I at least learn through grammar and word memorization it seems that I understand and can use the language a little better, though I know that it's the complete opposite of many people.