FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Orange Dell

ronald.helpdesk
Hello, I have 3 Dell Optiplex 320, one of'em suddenly stopped working, and the on/off button became orange, later on, it hangs in posting, or later of windows welcome screen, I changed the power supply, move the memory modules from one bank to another, and it worked, when putted the original memory module back, it hanged, then I got back to the original power supply but with another memory module, in the second memory bank, it worked, the question is... should I replace the hole motherboard??? or motherboard and power supply as well??

Suggestions please.
askchris
One thing to try, is get a compressed air can and disconnect everything from the motherboard and spray compressed co2 around all the contacts and then do the same around the things you have unplugged, as it could well be a bad contact from a bit of dust. For the sake of not replacing the motherboard it is worth a go.
ronald.helpdesk
askchris wrote:
One thing to try, is get a compressed air can and disconnect everything from the motherboard and spray compressed co2 around all the contacts and then do the same around the things you have unplugged, as it could well be a bad contact from a bit of dust. For the sake of not replacing the motherboard it is worth a go.

The 3 of 'em are bran new computers... I kindda want to place a bomb at Dell's headquarters...
Arnie
If they're new then you should be eligible for free support right?
ronald.helpdesk
that's definitively right... you are a very smart dude... well, sorry for the ironic stuff, It's just that the Dell support guys, want to replace mb only, and I'm very concerned about the power supply too...
Arnie
Well they simply have to get all the systems under warranty working again. No matter what is broken, I suppose.
Bones
When you moved the RAM, are you saying that you moved the same RAM chips to a different slot, or used different mem chips?

If you moved them and everything worked, then probably a bad ram slot. If you used different RAM to test, then perhaps the RAM is dead.

Sounds like motherboard is probably the culprit to me
Arnie
Hang on... did you try to fix it yourself???? That's not so smart because it probably voids your warranty...
ronald.helpdesk
Yes, but with authorization from Dell's online tech support, they're so damn slow.! but this one is solved, they had to face it, I was right.
Arnie wrote:
Hang on... did you try to fix it yourself???? That's not so smart because it probably voids your warranty...
directing_druid
I had had lots of experience with Dell support in my job. I work for a large publishing company and we buy a couple of hndred at a time. Just about every batch has had a problem that is unique to one thing on that PC. Mini SXs that had dodgy resistors which popped after so much use. ALL 200 Pcs had to be replaced over a 3 months period. Every call meant speaking to a numpty who kept asking me to take out the processor put back in etc etc. The orange light is normally power issues (if flashing this is a common fault on Dells) but not seen it on solid.

Next time pay the extra for next business day warranty (Gold Support) worth its weight in gold (Pardon the pun). One more tip - even though they are happy for you to get inside the machine, be careful not to pop it. Thats when they decide you should not have opened it!
ronald.helpdesk
directing_druid wrote:
I had had lots of experience with Dell support in my job. I work for a large publishing company and we buy a couple of hndred at a time. Just about every batch has had a problem that is unique to one thing on that PC. Mini SXs that had dodgy resistors which popped after so much use. ALL 200 Pcs had to be replaced over a 3 months period. Every call meant speaking to a numpty who kept asking me to take out the processor put back in etc etc. The orange light is normally power issues (if flashing this is a common fault on Dells) but not seen it on solid.

Next time pay the extra for next business day warranty (Gold Support) worth its weight in gold (Pardon the pun). One more tip - even though they are happy for you to get inside the machine, be careful not to pop it. Thats when they decide you should not have opened it!

Tanx 4 the advice, anyway this thing is history... they had to replace my power source, as I already told'em from the beggining
hack_man_
I have had some bother with Dell (not as much as I had with Acer) and they were very good when it came to fixing it. The thing had been shipped without any screws fixing the motherboard to the case! and thus the thing got broken into little bits during shipping. They were very quick to replace the entire computer.

Nothing like Acer, who flat-out refused to replace or fix anything when they claimed that it was my fault that it had overheated and damaged the RAM and PSU. It had started acting up after I had asked them to remove the 56k modem with a wireless card, and upgrade the RAM; and it wouldn't start up when I took it home. I then pointed out to them that they have all their PCs that were in for maintenance all stacked up to chest-height in direct sunlight, where anybody could just help themselves... (they were put in their place then!)