FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing Java on Linux

jay84h
Hey, I just recently reformatted my whole hard drive on one of the computers from Windows XP to Linux. I understand that you have to use the Terminal to install the Java application but do not really understand the instructions outlined on the Java website. I was wondering if anyone could give much simplar instruction on how to do this?
MrBlueSky
Do you want to install the Java Runtime Environment (to run application written in Java) or do you want to install one of the JDK's (needed when you want to create java programs yourself)?
jay84h
I need to install the JRE to run java programs such as java games and such.....
surdy
Hi Jay84h

which flavour of linux did you install ??

hope this helps : http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java

all the best with your Linux experience. Linux is the way to go Very Happy. I'm glad you chose it
jay84h
Smile Thanks! I have Ubuntu
MrBlueSky
Here is an howto on how to installing java on ubuntu: https://jdk-distros.dev.java.net/ubuntu.html
jay84h
That looks like a really easy tutorial MrBlueSky. I am not at my computer right now but as soon as I am I am going to give that a try and let the outcome be known! Thanks very much! Smile
glenn83e
what advantages do you get with linux anyway? i heard that you can't really install a lot of programs on it
jay84h
There as so many programs already pre-listed on Add/Remove programs for you to choose haha. Linux is just not supported with many games, for example Counter-Strike: Source, however Linux is an excellent OS where you will have ZERO trojans/viruses.
MrBlueSky
glenn83e wrote:
what advantages do you get with linux anyway? i heard that you can't really install a lot of programs on it

You're kidding, right? My SuSe Linux distro from about 8 years ago contained 6 cd-roms loaded with software (!). And that's only a small amount of the linux programs out there. Razz
glenn83e
MrBlueSky wrote:
glenn83e wrote:

You're kidding, right? My SuSe Linux distro from about 8 years ago contained 6 cd-roms loaded with software (!). And that's only a small amount of the linux programs out there. Razz

LOL actually yea i am. Jay sits right behind me at work. I was going to see if he would post a stupid comment or remark lol.
MrBlueSky
glenn83e wrote:

LOL actually yea i am. Jay sits right behind me at work. I was going to see if he would post a stupid comment or remark lol.

LOL Razz You had me Razz
jay84h
Very funny lol.....actually Glenn wasn't really joking, he just likes to pretend that whenever someone thinks he's cracked hahahaha
glenn83e
jay84h wrote:
Very funny lol.....actually Glenn wasn't really joking, he just likes to pretend that whenever someone thinks he's cracked hahahaha

Your're the one who is cracked my friend. I mean well for one look where you work lol. Mr. SlackerMcSlackerton
jay84h
hahahaha, your Mr. SlackerMcSlackerton, I am SlackyMcSlackSlack, haaha
glenn83e
jay84h wrote:
hahahaha, your Mr. SlackerMcSlackerton, I am SlackyMcSlackSlack, haaha

ahh yes that is correct mr. McSlackSlack. But togher we are the DeGenerate SlackMcPoopDogs
jay84h
LMAO that's hilarious hahaha, everyone do not mind him he is insane in the membrane haha
glenn83e
jay84h wrote:
LMAO that's hilarious hahaha, everyone do not mind him he is insane in the membrane haha

that's right buddy... pretty insane, aint got no bain LOL
jay84h
haha, anyways.....I now know how to install a binary file! thanks to MrBlueSKy. Installing Java from the site he listed was a great way of getting you to think how you can install files. Thanks MrBlueSKy!
jackill
The simplest way under Ubuntu is Automatix (http://www.getautomatix.com/). This tool install java, flash, video drivers with one click, ideal for begginers Smile But installation form binaries is simple too Wink
jay84h
Nice, thanks for that Smile