FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[MOVIE] The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) [Smith, Karen, Newto

fbcompany
I thought it was a good movie but quite depressing. It could have turned out to be a very strong drama with some serious solid performances but instead it turned out to be a bit of a feel-good movie. If it had of been cast in a more serious light with more emotion Smith could have been up for a award nomination.

Instead I think the movie drags a little in places, with his situation getting increasingly worse with not a break in sight. Within the last 5 minutes of the show there is a ray of light.

It left some loose strings such as the wife; I felt robbed in that she faded into the background so easily. It needed a stronger (emotional) score but I think, again, they diverted back to a more feel-good approach whenever things got really tough.

This is a very human drama and if you get bored easily with no explosions, no sexual anything, no murder, no violence......then this movie isn't for you. It's one mans success story against a world of adversary.

Will Smith does a good job and despite what people may think (and his comedic personality over the years) I feel he is a pretty reasonable serious actor.

Also stars James Karen who has been around since the dawn of time.

Chilled Rating: 6.8/10

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454921/
Official website: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/...uitofhappyness/
Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_...uitofhappyness/

Quote:
Plot outline (IMDB): A struggling salesman (Will Smith) takes custody of his son (Jaden Smith) as he's poised to begin a life-changing professional endeavor.
bassman
I dunno, I thought it was excellent. I agree that for a while in the middle it became almost unbearable. I for one was very happy when the miserable b**ch of a mother/wife left. It was in that moment that things started to get a little more bearable. At least there was no one constantly on Smith's character's back. I think one of the main thing I took away from the movie, other than being very happy for the main character, was just how luck those of us who have stable lives are. I am much for grateful now for a steady income (even though as a student, it's quite low), a roof over my head, MANY comforts, etc. If there was one thing to take away from that movie, I think that sense of gratitude is it. Maybe their point is that in that gratitude for what we have lies happiness.
Kelcey
I want to see it. It got very good reviews.
aaahzombies
I saw it, didnt like it
It made it look like such a struggle, when in my opinion he had things pretty good. He had a bed, a place to stay (even if it wasnt his)
Just a typical example of typical american propaganda - work hard and you will succeed

I did like the bone density scanner tho. Im getting me one of those!
schooldays
I thought it was very good, possibly the best film of 2006.