FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Partition Software?

jay84h
I have heard of Partition Magic by Symantec to partition a hard drive into two. Wondering if there are any other partition programs out there that people would recommend.
jay84h
I just got Symantec Partition Magic, now I don't know if there are any other partitioning programs out there, but so far with my minutes of partitioning one of my computers I can say that Partition Magic seems to be pretty good!
varun_dodla
I have always used power quest Partition Magic....I see that now Symantec has taken over PowerQuest.

Quote:
On December 5, 2003, Symantec Corporation acquired the technology and interests of PowerQuest Corporation. We would like to take the opportunity to welcome you to Symantec........
-- http://www.partitionmagic.com/

Partition Magic is the best partitioning software i ever found. It does many things apart from partitioning drives.....

Quote:

* Divides a hard drive into two or more partitions
* Reduces risk of data loss if system crashes
* Lets you copy, move, resize, split, or merge partitions
* Runs different operating systems on one PC—safely

I would recommend no other software for this purpose.
jay84h
Oh, I figured that Symantec took over some company who owned Partition Magic, because when I heard of it before I never heard of Symantec being related to it at all.
Alias
I always use Partition Magic when I want to partition my hard disk.
jay84h
I now have a bad opinion about Partition Magic, when I attempted to partition my hard drive into two, so I could place Linux as a 2nd OS, it finished partitioning and then the computer restarted to a blank screen with a blinking cursor, it would not load windows at all and hitting the power button would shut it off. Think of it as a loop back problem, it would never load up Windows. So what I had to do was install Linux while it reformatted the hard drive, luckily it was on my old computer which hardly has anything on it.
CyanEyed
Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 - tried it, love it. you dont even have to restart when ur increasing your partition space. but then again, its the only one ive ever used

CyanEyed
turbosquid
I always used to use partition magic but i had quite a few problems with it over the years, even had a problem where it would not insall on certain machines but would on others turned out to be and error in the InstallSheild script, this put me off from using it as i thought if they can't even get the installer to work bug free how can you trust the program with your data. This maybe an extreme view but hey who want's to loose their data Smile ! no doubt these issues have since been sorted out.
Anyway i now use Paragon's excellent Partition Manager, it does everything you could need from a partition mamnager. and works well.

http://www.partition-manager.com/

TurboSquid
k_s_baskar
I always use Disk Manager to make partition my New Harddisk. But this software is only for New Harddisk. Partition Magic is the best software for modifiying the existing partition where even OS installed already.

The Newage OS like Windows XP, Linux, Vista is having it's own HDD partition software. so While installing Win XP in my system i'll create and modify partitions in my Harddisk
Smile
WickedGravity
Well assuming you have Windows, partitionmagic isn't all that bad to tell you the truth, but, if you search google for what you ask, you will see, literally, hundreds of programs out there.

Some are biased completely towards Windows, some towards Linux, some even screw with your system because i think their designers were having a abd day or something.

Pound for pound you have to go with something that will play with the partitions, but not mess with your boot files like PartitionMagic does. i reccomend something like GParted, which is available for both Windows and Linux and, via it's Live CD format, the powerful tools are easier to use and safer for any OS.
Ranfaroth
I agree : you should trust gparted.
jay84h
Tell you the truth, I don't believe I will ever use Partition Magic or another partition software anymore. After attempting to partition my Windows and add Linux onto it, Windows wouldn't even load, it just went to a black screen with a blinking cursor. When pressing the power button, the PC would shut off right away. Same thing would happen when turning it on, showing black screen with blinking cursor, and it'll shut off as soon the power button is pressed. That's the one time I used PartitionMagic and had a bad experience with it. So I had to reformat the PC and use it only for Linux.
Kelcey
I've always used Partition Magic Pro myself.
blendbet
Symantec partition magic version 9. bug free
ravi_9793
i also use magic partion...
driftingfe3s
Partition magic worked like a charm for me. I don't like to partition my hard drives any more though.
{name here}
Paragon partition manager was probably the best working for me. It's interface neither treats you like an idiot nor does it treat you like a hard drive expert. It also has an easy to use interface.
anogues
Paragon partition manager is a good choice but i think Acronis Disk Director suite is the best, and if you use with Acronis True image you will have your hard disk safe.
bulek
I recommend you partion magic. I use it frequently when fixing up computer and I never came across with problems. That is only good product for Symantec Smile
By the way you can check some tests and reviews so you won't regret your choice.
lerian
I use Partition Magic. Never tried other softwares. I never had any problem with Patition Magic.
pashmina
i like partition magic too. it is simply a powerful software
bukaida
Partition magic is good provided all its operations complete successfuly. Specialy for live partition(like resizing the existing partion with data), if it cannot complete all its pending operations successfuly( For AV software, ntfs security , multiboot etc ) it can make all the partitions completely un useable and you may end up with fresh formatting loosing all your existing data. So make sure you have backup of your data before going for live partition.For fresh partition, there is no issue.
golles
partition magic is good Smile it is so easy to change partitions etc. partition magic fixed my broken hard disk, it was not bootable anymore, it was not accesble anymore, not even as a slave in another computer, and partition magic was able to fix the error Very Happy
Shin
I use Partition Magic too. It allows you to create partition on the fly. It can create partition of most of the well known formats. It can also create FAT32 partition of 32GB size.
icedrakon
With partition magic 8 i have done evything i ever wanted with the partitions
but acronis is also good nevertheless magic is easer and safer.......
corey
jay84h wrote:
Tell you the truth, I don't believe I will ever use Partition Magic or another partition software anymore. After attempting to partition my Windows and add Linux onto it, Windows wouldn't even load, it just went to a black screen with a blinking cursor. When pressing the power button, the PC would shut off right away. Same thing would happen when turning it on, showing black screen with blinking cursor, and it'll shut off as soon the power button is pressed. That's the one time I used PartitionMagic and had a bad experience with it. So I had to reformat the PC and use it only for Linux.

Using only Linux is not such a bad thing. My computer has 3 small hard drives, scavenged for free, and each has its own OS - but they're all Linux! Laughing

Just a thought about your problem, though. Windows probably didn't boot because it didn't have a boot loader. You can reinstall that with your Windows disk (next time, of course - too late now). The command for Win98 is "fdisk /mbr" and the command for XP is, under the Recovery Console, "fixmbr" (and "fixboot" if that doesn't work.)
iNs@nE
Partition Magic 8...I prefer using the windows partition tool..safer and reboot compatible..wat else would u want?
Handyman
I use gparted live cd for all of my partitioning. I trust linux for all of my needs. I have used partition magic and acronis but I still perfer gparted live cd.