FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help please....I want to start playing guitar.

Handyman
I have recently gotten the bug to learn to play acoustic guitar. Where should I start? I know '0' about guitars. I guess my first step would be to buy a guitar. Any suggestions for beginner acoustic guitar. I am not into buying a piece of crap to only replace it after 6 months. I want something that will last and not break the bank.
wumingsden
I'm also trying to learn. If anybody can recommend any good websites or beginners books I would really appreciate it.
trumnation
If you are going to start playing the guitar the best idea is to go to a music store to get a guitar and have them help you pick one out. Although that being said, go to a repuatable store. I don't mean to bash ma and pa stores, but alot of the hole-in-the-wall stores don't know how to recomend equipment very well.

To learn how to play, I would strongly suggest 1 on 1 guitar lessons. A guitar teacher can help you when you are having problems and adjust how fast to teach you or what to teach you depending on how well you progress. You can learn online but I find it doesn't do as good a job.
Srs2388
well, this sounds stupid, but start out with easy stuff... don't try to play something that is a intermediate song if you are a beginner.
Also learn how to read tabs, (very important)
when you get a feel for tabs and playing stuff, then I'd really recommend you learn how to play things by ear.
good luck you can PM me if you need more help I have been playing for like 3 years Smile
all-australian-reject
I started of with a steel string ibanez i duno what exact sort.

As for learning, i would also suggest getting some 1 on 1 lessons from a teacher. But if you dont want o pay the $20 (aus) a half hour for those i would suggest slowly learning simple songs.

Depending on what music u wanan play (im guessing from your picture of offspring logo it will be punk/rock ) it will change how u learn. Because these rock genres use power chords you should try and master these. I did this by prgressing how much of the chord i play. E.g On a tab they looked like this

E----------
B----------
G----------
D---4-4-4- { for and F#
A---4-4-4-
E---2-2-2-

But i started of just playing this along with the song

E----------
B----------
G----------
D----------
A----------
E---2-2-2-

Then this

E----------
B----------
G----------
D----------
A---4-4-4
E---2-2-2-

The finally when my fingers were used to it i played the whole thing

E----------
B----------
G----------
D---4-4-4-
A---4-4-4-
E---2-2-2-

I hope this helps a little bit Shocked
Handyman
I have been doing some searching and I think that I have found my ax to learn with. Rogue Drednought black What do you think? I have also come across learning guitar for dummies DVD. I think I will give it a try before lessons.
Danomite
doesn't look too bad for the price, it may be a good guitar, it may not be...that's the downside to buying online, you can't inspect the instrument before you've paid for it. Now, that being said, I've been playing guitar for 13+ years and I've also worked in a music store and I find the best way to buy a guitar is to go to a music store and just try some out, you may pay a bit more but at least you know what you're getting.

Now for learning how to play...1st off I suggest picking up a book on basic chords, tabs can come a bit later, once you have a few basic chords down. Just to warn you, don't expect to have a song down the 1st time you pick up the darn thing, it takes a lot of time to become proficient at it. I compare it to learning how to write, you start with the letters and then start trying to spell small words, as you get better the bigger words seem less of a challenge, learning guitar is like that.

Either way try learning a bit on your own, then take lessons. The key when trying to find a good teacher is not to look for the most expensive, or the most reputable, just go to someone and see how well they know what they're doing. If they don't seem very competent or are only interested in teaching you what YOU want to know, I say ditch them. Any good guitar teacher is going to teach you what you NEED to know.

anyways that's my advice on it, if you get lost or need some support, PM me, I'll try my best to help you out Very Happy
jrschool
Now I am beginning to play guitar too. Anybody know the web for teach it and easy cords and lyrics too, please tell me by e-mail or reply post
...Great thanks.....
mattchun
cool, but kindly remind you that you must be patient.
gtherockgod
If you don't want a 'piece of crap', you're gonna want to spend a little more than 60 bucks.
hsadmin
I play a $300 Yamaha FG=312II.. Great guitar. Very old and very good. It's a 12 string, but, you can take off the top string, and then skip a string that you take off.
MountaineerFan
I would have serious reservations about buying any instrument online. Like the previous post, go to a MUSIC store, not a pawn shop, or big box store. Do buy something built well. You can find a decent guitar for under $200, cheaper if it is used. Don't buy something with a lot of frills, such as electric pickups, inlays, etc. Put your money in the wood. If you decide to stick with it, then you will know more what you want as far as frills go.

A 1 on 1 is great to start with. It also will make you practice. However, no one will make you a guitar player - you have to do it! Find some friends who are at the same level as you are and practice together, trading what limited knowledge you have. Soon, you'll be jammin'!

Good luck!
Handyman
The price went up to $79 insted of $59 on the Rogue so now I don't think it is such a great deal. There are two others that I am looking at. The Ibanez Jampack or the Washburn D100. I like that the Ibanez comes with all of the extras that I think I will need to get started. The washburn on the otherhand looks to be a fine insturment. What are your thoughts?[/url]
MountaineerFan
Without holding and playing the two guitars, it would be hard to pick one. You will need a tuner though, unless one of your friends has one. The gig bag wasn't much. You'll want a better case, or at least a padded gig bag ($25-30). The strap isn't importanet when first playing. You'll do better sitting down to learn. When I first started, I had played an old guitar of my brother's. The sound was bad and I didn't like it. A friend came over and left his guitar overnight (and ended up two weeks). It was a nicer guitar, an Alvarez. Playing it made the difference. After he picked it up, I went out and got my own. Although it wasn't considered an expensive guitar, it was well made. Washburn, Ibenez, Yamaha, etc. all make decent starter guitars. Note that many of the asian made guitars are made in the same factory, so the lower end guitars are pretty much alike (except for name).

I still think you will spend $150-$200 for a decent starter guitar. However, the two you mentioned are on sale. Can you go to a big box music store and find these guitars to play? Since you are a beginer, take someone who knows how to play with you. Try them out in the store before buying.
pinkpeople
I found a good site if you want to learn playing guitar.
There are a lot of good video's on it to learn chords but also songs.
http://www.actoguitar.com/
i hope you like it Very Happy Good luck! Twisted Evil
Handyman
I have no idea how to play or even to know what a good guitar sounds like. I also don't know anyone that plays guitar so I have a delima on my hands. I just want something that I can learn on and last me for a while until I know how to find the perfect guitar for me and then I will spend a little more. There is a Guitar center and sam ash in my city but I would have no idea what to look for. I am going to buy my first guitar from Musicians Friend just because it is easier and less expensive.
MountaineerFan
Okay. I've looked at both again. Each has some qualities. Since you will be buying one online, this is about as good a deal as you'll find.

Washburn:
Pros - name brand will probably have higher resale value in US (but not much). If I were buying one, this would be it, BUT I have the other accessories needed.

Cons - not a spruce top. Doen't matter about the sound (which it should matter), when reselling, people want a spruce top.

Ibanez:
Pros - since you won't be playing with friends, a tuner is a must. The gig bag look a little nicer than the first time I saw it. Spruce top.

Cons - strap and gig bag aren't neccessary (for the price).

I read some guitar buying tips and one tip was to find a package deal.
Also, Musician's Friend has a free download of a guitar learning program http://musiciansfriend2.guitarvision.com/default.aspx you may want to try.

I would also find out what their return policy is. Instead of ordering online, you may want to use their 800 number and ask these questions. I did see they have free shipping on guitars.

Good luck, and let me know what you decide!
hsadmin
I would go for the Ibanez. Just saying that really cause I like my $200 Ibanez RG120
Cedar Speeder
Websites can't replace playing with other people, and specifically, one on one guitar lessons. Even one lesson occasionally will help to keep you on track and make sure your efforts are turning you into a better guitarist.

Two notes on this though. 1) Money 2) Teachers.

1) When I was in high school I had a hard time paying for lessons, so mine were not frequent. However, you can learn a lot from playing with friends who've played a little longer than you and/or have a music teacher. Plus, playing with other people is one of the best things about music.

2) If you choose to pay for a teacher, shop around. Some guys and girls just teach to get the cash in without regard for the quality of the lessons. This can be a waste of money. In my experience, I've seen slightly more of this sort teaching from guitar shops that have a couple teachers on staff. If you find a music academy the costs aren't that much more and most of the time you'll end up with a better teacher. That's certainly not a hard and fast rule, there are great and poor teachers everywhere, so shop around!

Alex
MountaineerFan
Alex, you hit that one straight. However, I think he said he didn't have any freinds that played (YET). Once, he gets around, he will make new friends.

Back to the teachers, my wife is on her third fiddle instructor as the first two could play, but couldn't TEACH. They were in it for some extra money, and they won't receive ours anymore. I could show her basic stuff, but I didn't want her practicing bad habits, so hence, we looked around for teachers. Boy, a good one is hard to come by, and you sometimes have to drive a ways to find one. Take a recorder of some type with you, so you'll have something to review with.

For what's its worth, I've been playing for 20 years and I'm still learning. Trying to play mandolin now, and knowing what little I know about the guitar helps with that.
Cedar Speeder
Good call on the lesson recording, especially if you're going to opt for lessons on a less regular basis. Yup, I did miss the guitarless friends post, sorry about that. Have you considered doing a web search for music message boards in your area? There's one for my city, it's not the best, but there are posts quite regularly about beginners looking to jam. It could be a good option.
datter
A very useful site for chords is http://www.chordbook.com ... indispensable really.
Echo Printer
The Ibanez IJV50 Jumpstart Acoustic Guitar Package or the Jampack would be a good choice. Those acoustic guitars are pretty well made for the price. If you live in a big city, try www.craigslists.com and you'll get a real nice one for cheap, then again you might need someone to come along with you to let you know if it's worth the price. But agian, the Ibanez IJV50 Jumpstart Acoustic Guitar Package for $100 fro zZounds or the Jampack is probably the best way to go. It'll take you about a year to get at the playing level you want to be at, a lot easier goal than wanting to be a computer programmer, that's for sure! Razz Razz Shocked
molif
1stly, get a friend who knows how to play guitar.. sometimes its easier to learn by visual rather than looking at tutorial books..
tingkagol
learn the simplest songs...
ex. oasis' wonderwall, sugar ray's fly... etc. as long as you like the song.

that's what i did. learned some simple songs here and there, and progressed to more difficult ones. when the songs are THAT good to play, you'll end up pushing yourself at getting better.
Handyman
Well I broke down and went to Guitar center. There were too many choices online. I had some help from one of the guys that worked there. I ended up buying a mitchell MD100s solid top guitar. I listened to dozens of guitars and and found that the solid tops sounded much better than the laminated tops. The guitar also came with grover tuners and d'addario strings. I just should have listened to the good advice that was posted earlier. I will post some pictures soon. Thanks for all of the great advice.
miacps
Ahhh, grampa guitars!

At least you'll get good practice from it since its harder to hold the strings down.

The best thing is to find some tabs online for songs that you like and learn how to play them, at least thats what I did and I play pretty decently.

Good luck, its only difficult at first.
rongsen
Quote:
I have recently gotten the bug to learn to play acoustic guitar. Where should I start? I know '0' about guitars. I guess my first step would be to buy a guitar. Any suggestions for beginner acoustic guitar. I am not into buying a piece of crap to only replace it after 6 months. I want something that will last and not break the bank.

Hey dude try these basic stuff to help ur picking

C maj picking -

E-----------------------------------------5--7--8--7--5-----------------------------------------
B-------------------------------5--6--8-------------------8--6--5------------------------------
G------------------------5--7---------------------------------------7--5------------------------
D--------------5--7--9-----------------------------------------------------9--7--5----------------
A----5--7--8--------------------------------------------------------------------------8--7--5-----
E-8----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8--

4 1 3 4 1 2 4 1 3 1 2 4 1 3 4.... (and so on backwards).....->>These Numbers are your playing fingers without counting ur thumb

Remember always play with a down up or up down strokes(pick methods)
Handyman
I found a cool website with a 7 day trial. WorkshopLive There are a ton of great videos to get you statred. I also got guitar for dummies-- Horrible video by the way. I think that I an dumber for having watched it. I dont think that I need to buy a dvd to learn. There are plenty of free tutorial online fo all levels.
kuyman
highvoltagerock
So looking for tips and stuff like that...also what are chords, frets and tabs? Is there anything you need to be able to play the acoustic? Could you point out anything that teaches you the basics? anything and everything for a complete beginner is good for me, and the simpler(sp?) the better...

I guess I should also say that I do have an acoustic (which I hope is good. It was approved by a guitar player who saw a pic of it before I bought it, so I hope that helps). Also, I will be taking lessons with a teacher as well.
granvals
I feel to advance myself as a credible guitar player, I need to learn some music theory. I always get discouraged while jamming or watching videos of people like Vai and Petrucci, and they mention that something is in this time signature or that mode. I just feel like I am missing out, and not knowing anything is really hindering my songwriting attempts.

Do you guys have any suggestions on books I can buy or download, or maybe some websites that really start from the beginning?

I feel Ishuould also mention that Iwant to do this because I have been playing guitar gor 5 years and I think I have come as far as I can without knowing jack.
Ankhanu
highvoltagerock wrote:
what are chords, frets and tabs?

Chords are 2 or more notes played together.
Frets are the raised lines on the fretboard (top of the neck). They are placed at specific distances along the neck to shorten the string so that it plays a specific note when you press the string behind them. Instruments like violins, cellos, etc. don't have frets and require more precise finger placement to play notes clearly rather than falling flat or sharp.
Tabs are a way of representing/writing music, specifically for fretted stringed instruments. Each line represents a string and each number represents the fret that you'll finger on that string.

highvoltagerock wrote:
Is there anything you need to be able to play the acoustic?

Fingers.

highvoltagerock wrote:
Could you point out anything that teaches you the basics? anything and everything for a complete beginner is good for me, and the simpler(sp?) the better...
I will be taking lessons with a teacher as well.

Go to a teacher, that's the best thing, as they'll be able to work with your personal needs, and correct sloppy technique that you won't catch teaching yourself before they become habit.
Other than that, just play. Try to play along to songs (even if you play a single string at a time), match up the notes to where you find them on the fretboard. Understand where different notes are by finding them, it will get the sound/position relationship into your head.
Ankhanu
granvals wrote:
Do you guys have any suggestions on books I can buy or download, or maybe some websites that really start from the beginning?

http://www.musictheory.net/
That will teach a bunch of music theory. I'm in the same position as you, in many ways, except add 10 years to the time playing Razz I do ok, but if I knew theory, I'm sure I'd get much further along.
highvoltagerock
Ankhanu wrote:
highvoltagerock wrote:
what are chords, frets and tabs?

Chords are 2 or more notes played together.
Frets are the raised lines on the fretboard (top of the neck). They are placed at specific distances along the neck to shorten the string so that it plays a specific note when you press the string behind them. Instruments like violins, cellos, etc. don't have frets and require more precise finger placement to play notes clearly rather than falling flat or sharp.
Tabs are a way of representing/writing music, specifically for fretted stringed instruments. Each line represents a string and each number represents the fret that you'll finger on that string.

highvoltagerock wrote:
Is there anything you need to be able to play the acoustic?

Fingers.

highvoltagerock wrote:
Could you point out anything that teaches you the basics? anything and everything for a complete beginner is good for me, and the simpler(sp?) the better...
I will be taking lessons with a teacher as well.

Go to a teacher, that's the best thing, as they'll be able to work with your personal needs, and correct sloppy technique that you won't catch teaching yourself before they become habit.
Other than that, just play. Try to play along to songs (even if you play a single string at a time), match up the notes to where you find them on the fretboard. Understand where different notes are by finding them, it will get the sound/position relationship into your head.

thanks.

I am taking lessons now, and have learned a fair amount already-although I can't really consider myself a player yet...
Ankhanu
Just takes time and practice. Smile You'll be a player in no time.
recked
Youtube my friend!

That is how I began playing the guitar and the ukulele and so far, I get a lot of compliments about how good I am. Start with learning chords and strumming techniques. The first few weeks, your fingers will kinda hurt and you will get caluses (sp?), but in the end your fingers will get use to the guitar strings and look normal.