FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

most secure O.S

primerosoft
dear friends,
when i was having a talk with one of the I.T security consultant yesterday he told me that there is no O.S in this world can be hacker proof, if a hacker who is dedicated himself/herself in hacking technology can do any thing with any O.S . Now i am thinking the concept of secure O.S is gona be real. When technology grows the hacking tricks also grows up. So there won't be any secure O.S as hacker proof O.S.
qscomputing
Sure, there's a way - a very simple way - to protect your computer from crackers:
Unplug it.

Not that that's much use to you. Whether a computer can be made completely crack-proof, I don't know, but some are easier to make secure than others. Windows, for example, is known to be notoriously difficult to secure, probably impossible to completely secure.
silentdae
Yea, it's terribly difficult to say whether there will ever be a completely hack-proof OS. My guess is no, but technology always surprises me. A really secure OS i know of right now is SELinux, developed by the NSA:
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
It's not really an OS in itself, but a group of addons to secure a linux system. I haven't tried it out myself but my guess is it's pretty secure. I bet it's also pretty complicated to set up.
ahmrahtcheer
OpenBSD is commonly used as a server OS, and their website (http://www.openbsd.org) claims only one remote hack in 10 yrs. It is built with security in mind. Difficulty of install? I'd rate it at moderately to advanced experience level. SELinux isn't going to be any easier, but I'd rate both as being a simpler install than getting Windows software to the same level of security.

On the plus side, the benchmarks that I've seen rate all 3 major BSDs (OpenBSD, FreeBSD and NetBSD) as better under load than MS's server software and various Linux distros.

As was stated, though, it's probably impossible to fully secure any OS.

A good compromise might be Adamantix Linux, formerly known as Trusted Debian. It's essentially a secured version of Debian. While somewhat stodgy in ways, Debian's always had a good rep for stability, and regular Debian is simple enough to install that my 9 yr old son managed without any problems (Dad did help in configuring the NIC).
LostOverThere
BSD is somewhat considered hard, I'd Go With Linux, Works Perfectly, and is much more user friendly these days.
ravi_9793
I think no OS is secure in present day.all u need to do is update your operating system......... Twisted Evil

I have a small tutorial on "how to protecg OS" Shocked Very Happy

Quote:
Step 1:Patch your OS Idea
No OS is secure if you are running it straight out of the box. A long list of vulnerabilities are detected by security experts and Microsoft routinely releases update software to address these vulnerabilities and close them. Updates may either be :
Service Packs
Critical Updates
Hotfixes
Cumulative Updates / Rollups
Hardware Updates
Optional Updates

Service Packs (SP) are comprehensive updates to the OS, fixing every single vulnerability in the OS since the release of the OS itself or the last SP release. SP's also include major OS changes, newer updates to system files and they contain every single update to the OS that has ever been released. Also, SPs are cumulative, so if you were to install SP1, it would contain every single update since the OS release and if you install SP2, it would contain every single update that has been released since SP1, and it would also include the updates of SP1 also. So, if you are patching an OS with an SP, you dont have to go around installing SP1, then SP2, SP3, etc. Installing the latest SP would mean you're getting all the updates. The latest SPs for windows xp is SP2
more abt XP sp can be read from here..........
http://techhunt.org/xp/about_history_of_windows_xp

Step 2: Securing the OS Idea
Here we will take a look at securing the OS itself without using any third party software. The most important tool here is the "Automatic Updates" option. You can usually find this option in the Control Panel, if you are running Windows ME, Windows 2000 (with the appropriate SP) or Windows XP.

When you open the Automatic Updates option, you will be faced with a couple of options including (exact wordings may differ)
Automatically Download and Install Updates
Download Updates but let me choose when to install them
Notify me of updates but do not automatically download or install them
Turn off Automatic Updates

It is recommended that you select Option 3 - "Notify me of updates but do not automatically download or install them" instead of Option 4, turning off the Auto Update feature. This way, when an important update is released, the Automatic Updates feture will inform you that updates are available for your OS and you can go to Windows Update and download and install them at your convenience. Also this way, you can tell when an update is being offered before the Patch Tuesday cycle and stay protected.

Windows XP comes with a built in Firewall to protect your computer, but its not a worthy solution when compared to a standalone firewall, so I will skip that in favor of a third party firewall solution.

Also, make sure you secure your user account with a password so that no one can fiddle with your system in your absence and then damage the OS.

Windows XP, when patched with Service Pack 2, comes with a Security Center option that can be accessed via the Control Panel. When you restart your computer after installing SP2, you will be prompted to choose an Automatic Updates method (1 out of the 4 choices) The Security Center also monitors the status of the built-in Windows Firewall, which is enabled by default and also the status of your antivirus program, whether it is on, turned off or if it requires an update. However, it only works with well known antivirus solutions. If any of these components are not working right or are turned off or disabled, the Security Center will pop up a warning in your system tray notification area, alerting you.

Step 3: Using Third Party Software Idea
Antivirus Solutions
The biggest threat to a Windows system is a virus. How or why a virus attacks and how it spreads, I am not going to go into here. Usually a virus spreads through one of these mediums:
a) an infected floppy or CD
b)an infected file over the network
c) an infected file from the Internet
d) an infected file you received via e-mail or instant messenger.

I will add the solutions to virus and spywares..tommorow.
this will include link to free antivirus,antispywares,and free online scan options.
Darius
No OS is secure unless you work on it's security, o the other hand, why do you need to secure it alot? Got an antivirus and a spy remover. More or less it's you're secured. Now if you are an administrator of some sort, then you need to think about serious security.
{name here}
Darius wrote:
No OS is secure unless you work on it's security, o the other hand, why do you need to secure it alot? Got an antivirus and a spy remover. More or less it's you're secured. Now if you are an administrator of some sort, then you need to think about serious security.

You do not need an antivirus and spyware remover to keep safe - just use Opera(or Firefox with noscript and adblock extensions) and use a limited user account if you are on a Windows system. It works provided you have the common sense not to download something possibly infected of course.

Certainly no system is secure if you don't configure it right. However, some OSes make security easier to apply and use. OpenBSD is probably one of the most secure OSes if configured properly because of its file encryption and other security implements. There hasn't been a security hole in the distro for 8 years.
reddishblue
We have an OS forum, and I think this topic has been discussed before in there Wink
Darius
I don't agree about not needing an antivirus. Let us take for example a simpl thing as LAN. I've been in one before i got my separate line. One guy cought some virus, ant there have been dozens of network attacks just in few hours of work. I could get one in a flash if i had no antivirus to block netwokr attacks. Spyware...even opera can't block all of them. besides i was talking about less than intermediate user, who is often too lazy to tweak his browser.
pashmina
i think mac is the most secure OS
Shin
No system is hacker-proof. Every OS is hackable. It's only matter of time. The more secure system requires more time to hack.
tony
i use arch linux. no need for antivirus and i have never had a problem. i even run server software w it w/o problem.
golles
nobody can hack my laptop with windows 3.0 running Razz
hahaha
NEurodrOne
pashmina wrote:
i think mac is the most secure OS

Well, its too bad a misconception to adjudge one OS as a supreme one just becoz it looks awesome or has an standalone respectable performance. The main criteria in here is to perform a comparative benchmark over considerable, tried and tested by a certain amount of 'honest' crowd, with regards to various aspects, ranging from its functionality to looks to security, and then arriving to a conclusion about the same.

For me, Its always going to be Linux, as a whole not any specific distro, better than any other damn system then make.

..And this is just for the kicks. Was too hilarious to resist posting.

Microsoft: Vista Most Secure OS Ever Shocked Laughing
qscomputing
I take it that's the press misquoting the line "vista is the most secure Windows ever". I'd hope it is the most secure Windows ever, because one expects software to get better with each release anyway...

Also, I note that they are suggesting that Vista will have DRM which they call "integrated rights management (RMS)" - I bet rms (Richard Stallman) won't be happy with that name. Smile

It is impossible to be completely secure, however, it is possible to build an OS which blocks all *known* holes; it's just that bugs will introduce new holes. No non-trivial code is bug-free.
orcaz
Vista couldn't be the most secure systems until a few more months later, aft the world wide release... I tink the most safest system is still linux, tho it lacks compatibility wif a lot of software.
theevildonkey
I think pretty much everything is more secure than Windows. Windows has the largest userbase, and therefore, will be the main target for attacks and viruses. Vista is more secure than XP but it's not perfect. It's only a matter of time before malicious software is written for it and it suffers the same problems as previous versions of windows.

The only way to have a secure operating system is to have no open ports. Even then, you could still run into problems if you download and install untrusted software. If you want a secure OS you just need to be smart. Don't rely on virus and spyware scanners. They really don't help that much. AV scanners only protect you from known viruses and trojans. The smart people aren't going to infect your computer with one of those viruses. They're going to make their own, one that these antivirus companies don't know about. By the time they do find out it's too late, and you're already formatting your hard drive.

The security really doesn't lie in the operating system (though that does play a big part). It's really up to the user to be smart and know what they are doing. Also, stay away from Internet Explorer. Razz

If you're looking for an OS that is more secure than others, go with one that has no open ports after installation.
The server edition of Ubuntu is pretty secure and has no open ports after installation. This lets you decide which web services you are going to run instead of deciding for you. Check it out http://www.ubuntu.com/server

As for a desktop OS, I'd just go with something that regularly releases security updates. I use kubuntu because they're always releasing updates and they release a new ubuntu/kubuntu version every 6 months. You also don't have to worry about malicious software if you stick to the officially supported repositories.
loosu
ITs u who make the os secure
theevildonkey
loosu wrote:
ITs u who make the os secure

Exactly. Security isn't so much a problem on the desktop though. That's something you should worry about more on a server or on machines that contain sensitive information. On a desktop, just be smart and know what you're doing. Only download and install software from trusted sources. A router is all the security the average person should need. Most broadband users already have one.
{name here}
Darius wrote:
I don't agree about not needing an antivirus. Let us take for example a simpl thing as LAN. I've been in one before i got my separate line. One guy cought some virus, ant there have been dozens of network attacks just in few hours of work. I could get one in a flash if i had no antivirus to block netwokr attacks. Spyware...even opera can't block all of them. besides i was talking about less than intermediate user, who is often too lazy to tweak his browser.

That virus cannot install or affect any major system files if you're on a limited user account, which most virii rely on you to be ignorant of on a Windows machine.
icedrakon
no operating system is unbrakeable becouse of the structure that has been build and the stucture of the communication of the network THATS where the weak spots hackers attack so dont look for security nevertheless selinux has its advantages becouse implements multi leveles of authdicatios therefore can not do much damage, or take more time to reach the root......
Arno v. Lumig
No OS is 100% secure, but OpenBSD and Solaris get pretty damn close. Windows can also be pretty secure, but it's a lot harder to make it that way.

And Linux is a bigger target then Windows, because damaging servers will have a much larger impact then damaging a simple desktop.
infobankr
BSD is "secure by default", and Macs are secure because they use a BSD-variant for their core.

Linux can be secure if setup right, and it is true that selinux can help.

But security is different depending upon the situation, and security needs must be evaluated based upon data, network. user requirements (among others).
icedrakon
I dont want to disagree with you but i have books that said "BSD hacks"
BlueVD
A long time ago I had a discussion with Fred Cohen (http://all.net/) on security.
The idea is that it's impossible to create a crack-proof OS (hacking is a different term, rtfm).
Yes, BSD Unix branches are the most secure these days. Mostly because there are few people that can install & configure one.
If you didn't get it by now, the problem is the user. No matter how good the OS is, if the user doesn't have a good training, it will fail at one point or another. It's a problem of trust, experience and knowledge.
I can get in any system, any OS, any server. But only if the people administering it are morons. Bottom line: Having Linux or Unix helps. Having a good Administrator and well trained users is better!
iNs@nE
primerosoft wrote:
dear friends,
when i was having a talk with one of the I.T security consultant yesterday he told me that there is no O.S in this world can be hacker proof, if a hacker who is dedicated himself/herself in hacking technology can do any thing with any O.S . Now i am thinking the concept of secure O.S is gona be real. When technology grows the hacking tricks also grows up. So there won't be any secure O.S as hacker proof O.S.

He is right. There is nothing like hacker proof. All OS's are programs and a counter can be written any time a programmer wishes to. Duh.
nico.carpentier
what do you think about mac os X security ?
i never found any virus and it's well-know that it's a safe system...
{name here}
Darius wrote:

If you're not on a network, and you use common sense when deciding to download or not download things, it is the best way because you don't need to worry about the scanner eating away your processor cycles. Plus, if you use NoScript or a text-based browser, then you are pretty much completely secure if you're not running a server or do something incredibly stupid.
kiranaghor
Most secure os is the one who nobody uses. When an os becomes popular people start attacking it. And there u find the holes. I have been using mac os x for last 2 yrs (without reinstall) and I find it pretty much secure than my windows box. (no war here)
orcaz
Actually, working on a limited user account is quite adequate to protect you from the viruses, as long as you have common sense to download only trusted files and not to surf illegal and dangerous sites.
vinx_18
I go for linux to be the most secure os. Though there are many linux OS to choose from. There's redhat, openbsd, ubuntu, SElinux.. I've heard before that China built a secure linux of their owm. I think its red flag.. if I'm not mistaken.
HollyK
You want a secure OS? Then why not try the ENIAC and the Abacus? Or even Windows 95. They are too slow, and in the case of the last one, too unstable to crack O.o .
I think that a custom setup Linux setup or Gentoo is the most secure. Personally I trust the Mac OSX. Less than 100 worms are for the Mac OS, much less than Windows. I will admit that yes, the Mac OS can be broken into, but it is harder to do assuming a competent user.
fiendskull9
Quote:
I dont want to disagree with you but i have books that said "BSD hacks"

those books revolve around making the operating system (or device involved) doing what you want, by "hacking" it

this topic is all thrown out of wack by the use of the word "hack"

the word that should be used is "crack"

Quote:
crack-proof OS (hacking is a different term, rtfm).

*high five*
icedrakon
The main idea is that any operating system is not safe for many reasons like source code (stack overflow) , comunication (tcp-ip and others protocols) and many more. Crack is when someone make a system not operating at all when hack is when you find and explore a hole in the system.
There is minimun defence against stack or buffer overflow
kiranaghor
Mac os X leopard with the most secure os period.
andy26
Ok i have heard that microsoft windows 2000 is the most secure operating system around i heard this from someone who works in a high security department
Aegis
best thing you can do is watching out when your on the internet
friuser
I"m pretty sure the most secure os is freebsd. The problem is with the x windows and other services that need to be configured before the services are enabled. Once you clamp down the right settings you will find it will take something like the nsa to break.
why6487
primerosoft wrote:
dear friends,

FreeBSD and Linux are hacker proof. The FreeBSD hack took 10 years! A Linux hack would take 6 mouths to do!