FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Chemical Romance

Andrew426
What are your opinions on MCR? do you think they are the best thing since sliced bread, or just another pop band masquerading as something they are not?

(I was going to post this bit in the topic about goth, but then realised that it had nothing to do with the discussion so I decided to start a new thread.)

I think its sorta funny how no one (except of course 14 year old girls) likes MCR, and how it keeps getting mislabeled. It is pop, thats it. Ive heard it called so many things (including heavy metal, by a girl who told me she only listened to metal, and then went on to tell me how much she loves greenday and MCR) but It is definitely pop. I agree with the poster <paquerat> (their post in the Goth topic), I feel physically sick listening to a couple of their songs (and, yes I have listened to many of their songs - I know someone is going to say something like "dont say a band is crap without even listening to them). However their new song, welcome to the black parade, is actually not as bad as i thought it would be and I almost enjoy listening to it....

Almost.
anxiety1
hmm i really cant see the hype with this band.

i can see why young girls would love them,

but i dont rate there msuic, dont rate there attitudes.

i cant belive the hype over the new album - they've even got nme loving them.
the6thfactor
I think they entered the scene at just the right times. As pop as they may be, they came out with a huge hit album at the start of alot of current alternative, punk, emo, hardcore bands. I've liked them from the start.
frozenhead
Well, I have to admit when I was listening to my girl friend's opinion about the band, I was a bit excited to hear there songs but then my expectations... how would I explain it.. not that really much of the catch.. It's like just listening to another ordinary band (sorry for all MCR fans will be reading this one, its just an opinion and it's how I feel when I listened to there music)..

Uhmm... I listen to only just 1 song from them, the song "The Ghost of You".. it's really a good one though.. and I always listen to it but the rest.. never..

[opinion]Sorry if that sounds sarcastic..[/opinion]
gtherockgod
Andrew426 wrote:
However their new song, welcome to the black parade, is actually not as bad as i thought it would be and I almost enjoy listening to it....

Almost.

I don't think that song is TOOO bad, at least after the whole shitty intro bit, ya know, this whole bit:

Quote:
When I was a young boy my father took me into the city
to see a marching band
He said 'Son when you grow up, would you be, the saviour of the broken, the beaten and the damned?'
He said 'Will you, defeat them, your demons, and all the non-believers, the plans that they have made?
Because one day I'll leave you a phantom to lead you in the summer to join the Black Parade.'

'Cause ya know, that's how I plan to talk to my young children.
pinkpeople
Long ago I downloaded a few songs of MCR, at that time i didn't know very much people here in the Netherlands that were also listning to it.
And now it's on tv.. and i don't like it.
I'm going to search for a new band that nobody knows Razz so if you have any suggestions? Let me know..
(I like punk/rock music, but i don't like metal at all Cool )
stephancreelle
i like their music , they are good Smile
love sharpest lives and black parade Smile
greetz
Mwilliams
I like that band too. My favorite songs are "Welcome to the black parade" and "Under Pressure"
snowboardalliance
I liked their last album...no one had even heard of them really that I knew of. Then they got super popular and I started to give up on them. Pretty good before, now they've been more sell-outish
Andrew426
pinkpeople wrote:
Long ago I downloaded a few songs of MCR, at that time
I'm going to search for a new band that nobody knows Razz so if you have any suggestions? Let me know..

Heh how about Go robot go?
http://www.myspace.com/goorobotgoo Laughing
Carrie_Jean
Gotta love MCR.

but THE BLACK PARADE IS THE DUMBEST SONG ON THE PLANET.

But I like their last CD. The Ghost of You is the best song ever.

I hate when bands go all soft on you. Crying or Very sad
BlockUp
Stupid bastards have changed their whole image since their new album was released. Guess now they can afford image consultants. Hate it when that happens.

Yeah, it's true... they are definetly not metal, or goth, maybe pop-rock, or pop-metal... I dunno.. I just liste nto what I like!
miacps
The guitarists are pretty good.

Some of their songs are alright, others... not that alright. Razz
B4_Utopia
The thing about MCR is that, now they are kinda posing as emos. They may be, they may not be, makes no difference to me. As someone mentioned, they have completely changed they're image. I still remember when Gerard Way still had black hair. Tsk. They're song are most definately Emo, or verging on Emo nowadays, especially with album names like "Life on the murder scene". There is no denying however, that "The Black Parade" has generated a lot of hype, with MCR changing their audience and stuff. As with "Welcome to the Black Parade", yeh it's a good song, but maybe some of it is a little bit... overrated. If MCR threw a concert ticket my way, I wouldn't say no, but i probably wouldn't go and buy their album. But that's just my opinion...
molif
i actu dont give a d-a-m-n about them but well, somehow, im more to music fan than band fan..
Chel
Love that song! The lead singer looks like that guy from Smashing Pumpkins, only with hair. Very Happy
lethaltriad
Havent really listened to their latest album yet because I wasn't feeling the Black Parade as much as their previous release. I love Ghost Of You though, thats one of my favourite songs from them and its always in my playlists.
calicamper
This might be a little unpopular but, MCR is whiney crap. That pretty much my opinion on all Emo, or 'violent pop' like they claim to be. Now I realize that not all their stuff is that way, and that they've never claimed to be emo, but that doesn't change my opinion.

pinkpeople wrote:

A good unknown band is Sonicult. They used to be pete. but had some problems and changed names. The only cd they have out is self titled and kicks ass, you can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005M988/ref=olp_product_details/103-4618026-7784643?ie=UTF8&seller=

I think it'll cost you more to have it shipped to you than to actually buy the cd, but that just makes it even better. I bought a bunch and gave them out as gifts to friends for the hell of it. You can listen to some of their new stuff on their myspace site at:

http://www.myspace.com/sonicult

enjoy
Aalia
I like this band a lot, but the new album is realy sounds like the firs one...it sucks...And like only 2 songs from it - This is how I dissapear and Mama
JJGY
Aalia wrote:
I like this band a lot, but the new album is realy sounds like the firs one...it sucks...And like only 2 songs from it - This is how I dissapear and Mama

The sharpest lives, Mama and Famous last words were all good songs, IMHO.
Jaan
My only comment is that you read my mind!
Only 14 year old girls like this stuff - I know at least 5. It's alright though, just not big, not many goods.
Aalia
JJGY
Yeah, I whached the live videos of them.

Jaan
Hell no=) MCR as a pop-emo music, but many of there songs are realy cool, couse they gave lots of feelings! And I'm 19 Wink Laughing
Josso
I'm sorry for all the fans in this thread but I've listened to a lot of it and I can say they are the single most awful band I have ever heard. General teenage society obsession with it annoys me even more, talentless and soulless.

I listen to a lot of obscure music so it's easy to reverse this on my, obviously it's just my opinion - respect it and I'll respect yours Wink
saeleyjnr
I hated My chemical Romance and general emoness for quite a while, until, i saw them live.

They opened leeds festival a couple of years back and were pretty good. I like a few of their songs, but i still hate emoness and pretty much every emo band.

My chemical romance are my guilty pleasure
trumnation
It is quite right to say that they entered at the right time. Im sure that if they were around a few years ago they would have floped. I must say though that a few of their songs are pretty well written and sound great but Im not a huge fan of theirs. I can see all of the teenage girls liking them because they do have that poppy sound to them although it sounds like they are trying to combine pop and rock which is pretty sketchy to do especially if you start out as a pop group.

anyways, my 2 cents.
simplyw00x
Their cover of 'All I want for Christmas' makes my ears want to cut themselves. I hope they get bottled so badly at Download that they actually die. They're a bunch of poser prats who just encourage the 'in' crowd of today to whine about problems they don't have. Their music is whiny and technically pedestrian and the fact that their fans associate themselves with the fine tradition of rock music is a disgrace. Hopefully one day they'll start believing their own lyrics and kill themselves.
Jakob [JaWGames]
It is not only 14 years girls who listens to this band, my 15 years old little brother listens to it too but he listens to a lot of weird music.. Rolling Eyes

Personally I don't like them very much but I am not a big fan of rock and pop music.
carcasskind
MCR and most emo bands represent and embody a culture present in teenage society that really deserves to be eradicated. The 'emo' pigeonholing is not limited to music as it used to be, but to lifestyle as well. The sad cycle that is emo is quite amusing to those outside the scenario, but frustrating and bloody anger-causing at some points when people describe green-day (pop-punk) or MCR as the best musicians and band ever. No. These bands are pitiful, whining bastards who have nothing better to sing about... the fact that they sell records shows the state of our 'popular' culture. Why can't everyone just listen to Nile or Vital Remains Razz
Andrew426
Quote:
These bands are pitiful, whining bastards

Ten frih$ for describing them as 'pitiful, whining bastards' - that was bloody funny.
engeland
They have some pretty catchy songs. I HAVE to admit that they are pretty damn good musicians. their songs a normally very rich in keys. But if you get thier album, the style sort of comes not shorter than stagnant. It's just an opinion
xray7224
i love there new albem they relest a few months ago (the black pirade) i think its the best i listen to it all the time wooo go MCR Exclamation
hunnuh
i like their music , they are good Smile
love sharpest lives and black parade Smile
greetz
GProject
I was never in to them that much, but I absolutely loved the Black Parade Album when a friend lent it to me. I'm still listening to it months later, and that's a good sign with me.
JinTenshi
I would consider MCR a punk-rock genre. ( Same as Good Charlotte and Simple Plan ) I like Thank You For The Venom cause of the guitar intro, really awesome stuff there. Helena is pretty nice too. But that's in their previous album. Their current album is pretty nice. Some weird songs but quite nice here and there ( Blood, Mama ) but there are the nicer ones like Disenchanted, I Don't Love You and The Sharpest Lives. The Black Parade is quite catchy, but I prefer the other tracks. Oh well.

Different people have different preferences, I'm more a music-fan than a band-fan too. =)