FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

kerala dog law

primerosoft
dear friends,

Trivandum corporation (capital of kerala ) desided to kill all the stray dogs, because of the sudden increase of the victims who got bitten by stary dogs. Most of those victims cannot bare the expence for the anti rabis injection. So do you think the government took the rite measure to solve this issue or do you think this is brutal?
Tokci
stray dog problem in india is very acute...I think the govt has taken this decision taking everything in consideration.

but i'm sure that the animal welfare associations are going to oppose that and soon we'll c ralleys and uproars there.
rfarrand
a bit extreme...more like ridiculous...i am sure killing all stray dogs is going to help prevent people from getting bit...oh wait...no it won't... people need to learn to not provoke dogs into biting them...more common then not, it is because people dangle food towards the dog, or provoke it with objects and make the dog mad. the government is dumb in my opinion
iNs@nE
Kill everythin..?
U mean literally search for each dog and kill them all..?
Well, if the problem with the dogs is too high then I believe that what they are doing is correct.
Because like we do for humans, we cant set up a whole new law and a court room for Dogs to determine who is guilty of causing rabies and who is not...

Overall....
If Problem is Out of Control - Correct Decision
If Problem can be Handled - Incorrect Decision
ocalhoun
rfarrand wrote:
a bit extreme...more like ridiculous...i am sure killing all stray dogs is going to help prevent people from getting bit...oh wait...no it won't... people need to learn to not provoke dogs into biting them...more common then not, it is because people dangle food towards the dog, or provoke it with objects and make the dog mad. the government is dumb in my opinion

It's a whole lot easier to kill all the dogs than to get the public to change their habits even a little.
I think it was a good decision (the humanitarians can capture and adopt all these dogs if they want to save them), but the consequences need to be thought through. What will be done with all the dead dogs? What were the dogs eating, and will the removal of the dogs cause an explosive increase in that population?

As for whether they are dangerous without provocation, the answer is probably yes. After one generation, the dogs are feral and have absolutely no training. They end up as being little better than packs of wolves running around, which is not desirable in a densely populated city.
Mannix
It seems a bit extreme, but it is probably the easiest solution. As ocalhoun said, stray dogs do tend to form packs, which in a densly populated area can be very bad(say they attack a child). The issue of rabies is a serious one, the mortality rate without treatment after symptoms set in is 100%. So if killing the strays will help prevent bites, and in turn the transmission of rabies, it should be done.