FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Against Overclocking OR For Overclocking?






I am against Overclocking!
I love Overclocking!
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Who cares!
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

jay84h
What are your thoughts on overclocking? I myself am against overclocking a video card. Many people bragg and are happy about overclocking they're video card, but in turn it does great damage to the card itself. The reason why the clock speed was set the way it was to any type of video card, is because it would have the card last longer while performing to it's standards. If you overclock a video card, than your reducing it's lifespan GREATLY, if it's great for 5 years, than it's lifespan is reduced to 2 years. You get the point.

UPDATE: Poll was entered incorrectly, thus not allowing itself to be modified...
k_s_baskar
Yes I accept your point. Overclocking Video Card or processor speed will damage the component and cause serious problem in my experience. I overclocked my processor speed by changing the jumper setting as mentioned in the motherboard user manual.

But my system restarted frequently.

while analysing i found that it was due to Over Heat of Processor, and it's due to overclocking the processor.

So now i am not using any overclocking even the facility avail.

Smile
jay84h
Well, you learned Smile Which is good, at least you know what it does to the card itself. I mean, overclocking the processors speed will obviously cause much more heat. And the fan is not made for more heat than the card can already dish out. Why would people not realize when it voids the warranty, it is for an obvious reason haha. These are the reasons....why have a warranty on a card that will burn out very quick.
otiscom
Yes, beware overclocking.
It can easily DESTROY your machine if you don't know what you are doing!
jay84h
True, if enough people post their thoughts, than maybe the ones that absolutely love to overclock, will maybe realize the damages it can cause!
gh0stface
jay84h wrote:
If you overclock a video card, than your reducing it's lifespan GREATLY, if it's great for 5 years, than it's lifespan is reduced to 2 years. You get the point.

It will only reduce the lifespan greatly if you don't have sufficient cooling. There are many products out there such as the Arctic silencer that will help keep the video card a bit cooler than most stock coolers that come with the video cards. Although if you remove the original cooling, it will void the warranty. I think eVGA or XFX are the only company that will allow you to remove the original cooling software without voiding the warranty.

Now a days, a lot of the newer cooling system for video cards are fairly adequate for overclocking video cards. As long as you know what you are doing and the overclock isn't out of the safe range, things will be fine.
jay84h
Yes, you say some cards may be able to handle the cooling if the card is overclocked a little bit. BUT the reason why the cards lifespan will greatly decrease is because the fan is not designed for the card to be overclocked to a point that the fan will be trying to cool the card even harder than it should. It just wont be able to handle it like it should at normal settings.
william
Well, I'm somewhat for it, and somewhat against it. I'm only against it if your cooling system isn't suffice and if you don't have the proper equipment to do so. Also, you might not want to risk it if your CPU or GPU is REALLY pricey.

I, honestly, will still do it. You get an incredible performance boost whenever you overclock. I mean, don't go crazy and burn it into a crisp, just stay within a safe range. As long as you know what you're doing, have experience, and proper cooling and power, then it shouldn't be too bad.
tropicalfish
Me, I would overclock just barely.
For overclocking, sometimes more voltage will be needed, and more cooling too. If not properly cooled or power is improperly supplied, then the hardware (whatever you are overclocking) will get messed up.
ForceRun
Don't you love the hardware's proaganda, better yet you guys are preaching for them. Overclock in todays world is very safe, you just have to know the basics, and be fearless. As far as cpus go they are safeguarded very well aganist frying, if they have to much volatage they won't turn on, too much heat and they will slow down, stop, or turn off way before they hit unsave temps. So overclock away. Ram is a little risky, because they don't have as good system, but the almost come with a lifetime warrenty, as a general rule ram loves volatage and for the most part will simply not run if pushed to far. Video cards and a little tricky, in most cases you should upgrade the cooling just as a general rule. And watch how far you push the video memory, which is easy to fry. Just watch the temps and make sure the system is running stable. It is good to check online to see what others have pushed their hardware to see where you can push yours.

The real key is understanding the marketing sceams that the hardware makers use. Take Intell offen they will build one chip, and clock it at 3 different speeds to create a balanced market, with on Extreme, Normal, and cheap clocks. Hint you can buy the cheap one and guess what it is the same chip as the highend one. All you have to do is give it some volatage and up the fsb speed and you have a highend cpu.

Now with the duel cores, the selling idea is lower power usage. But all Intel did was lower the volatage. So most of the duel core CPUs and extremly overclockable. Like my E6600 Core 2 Duo Conroe, runs stock at 2.4Ghz, but with a small volatage jump, I'm running great at 3.6 GHz! Now thats smoking fast, I did upgrade the cooling, but the stock cooling always sucks and it is a good idea to upgrade the cooling no matter if you plan to overclock or not.

Fear not, overclocking is easy, and if you are the least bit smart riskfree.
jay84h
ForceRun wrote:
you just have to know the basics, and be fearless. As far as cpus go they are safeguarded very well aganist frying, if they have to much volatage they won't turn on, too much heat and they will slow down, stop, or turn off way before they hit unsave temps.


Exactly, you have to be "fearless" because you might as well have fear since you know full well overclocking a card is not meant to be. Why do you think it's called overclocking? Overclocking.....a.k.a over doing a video card. As far as cpu's being safeguarded, I wouldn't put money on that. The video card will burn out much much faster if overclocking, since it's not meant to be. And this thing about overclocked cards being just as powerful as factory setting cards, being cheaper? Of course there going to be cheaper, they'll burn out in a split second, whenever they feel weak. With the factory setting cards at least your going to get your money's worth! A friend of mine was with a friend and while playing a game, the video card was maxed!!!! The computer couldn't take it because it was taxed so high the back of the computer exploded into flames. Oh yes......you CAN have too much power and heat going on inside, the cpu wont know when to shut off....it'll just catch fire.
dz9c
jay84h wrote:
If you overclock a video card, than your reducing it's lifespan GREATLY, if it's great for 5 years, than it's lifespan is reduced to 2 years. You get the point.

If it lasts for 2 years, thats great because thats around the time you should go get a new and better one. Smile
ForceRun
jay84h wrote:
ForceRun wrote:
you just have to know the basics, and be fearless. As far as cpus go they are safeguarded very well aganist frying, if they have to much volatage they won't turn on, too much heat and they will slow down, stop, or turn off way before they hit unsave temps.


The computer couldn't take it because it was taxed so high the back of the computer exploded into flames. Oh yes......you CAN have too much power and heat going on inside, the cpu wont know when to shut off....it'll just catch fire.


I really don't think that could happen, plus the hardware out now is very different from the older hardware of anything over 2 years ago.

Everything I said about chips that release at the same being the same CPU just clock at different speed is also true, just google it.

They do the same thing with video cards, like my 7900GT Nvidia GeForce card has the exatly same core as the 7900GTX which runs at 200Mhz faster and cost $100 more, it does have more ram, but everything else is the same. they just locked the volatage down, by uping the volatage I can run my card the same as the higher priced GTX, once again I did up the cooling, but I'm still running simple air cooling.
qscomputing
Your hardware, your choice. Personally I don't overclock because it always seems to be a big risk for negligible benefit: most overclocking (CPU) gets you only a few hundred MHz extra; with today's CPUs, you'll hardly notice the difference, the bus speed is probably more important.

According to top(1), my CPU is over 90% idle at the moment - and it probably won't drop much lower than that: the limiting factors are the bus, memory and HD speeds.
jay84h
I'd agree, it is anyones choice to overclock, afterall you decide on whether you want to take the risk or not. There can be possitives towards it for people who like more power, but there also can be the negatives against it as well.
ForceRun
well, I use my cpu power most of the time, and when I have my CPu overclock 150% like it is, it makes a big difference. I spend a go amount of time recoding video, and it take a fraction of the time, the it use to because of my overclocked conroe.

Yes it is the user’s choice to over clock as it is your choice to be ignorant of the advantage and ease of over clocking. Please before downing something you have like to no knowledge about take to the time to read about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking

Quote:
Advantages

* The user can, in many cases, purchase a slower, cheaper component and overclock it to the speed of a more expensive component.
* Faster performance in games, applications, and system tasks at no additional expense.
* Some systems have "bottlenecks", where small overclocking of a component can help realize the full potential of another component to a greater percentage than the limiting hardware is overclocked. For instance, many motherboards with AMD Athlon 64 processors limit the speed of four units of RAM to 333 MHz. However, the memory speed is computed by dividing the processor speed (which is a base number times a CPU multiplier, for instance 1.8 GHz is most likely 9x200 MHz) by a fixed integer such that, at stock speeds, the RAM would run at a clock rate near 333 MHz. Manipulating elements of how the processor speed is set (usually lowering the multiplier), one can often overclock the processor a small amount, around 100-200 MHz (less than 10%), and gain a RAM clock rate of 400 MHz (20% increase), realizing the full potential of the RAM.
* Overclocking can be an engaging hobby in itself and supports many dedicated online communities.


psycosquirrel
Overclocking is excellent and should ALWAYS be done if the user has adequate experience for the hardware and knows its limitations. An ameteur should NEVER try overclocking without guidance from someone knowledgable to avoid damaging components.
jay84h
Damaging components A.K.A even when your a professional, it will damage the component no matter what. Why do you think it's called overclocking? Overclocking A.K.A over doing it to a component that forces the component to struggle out more power thus burning it's energy more and more until it completely burns out.
hilander
I,ve overclocked my motherboard and video board,,with no problems...when I use it for internet surfing or windows applications,,but when I use in playing games,,it takes 30 minutes more or less depending on the amount you overclocked..to restart..
I agree,,that nowadays the hardware is different,,most of them come with temperature protections,,so it is kind of safe to overclock..the key in ovrclocking is getting a very efficient cooling system..most of the times one ends up manufacturing one...well that is what I did with my prossesor..I adapted and intel coler to my amd prosessor,,I am still using it...hope this gives you and idea..of what i went through
xyberz
Overclocking is really a decision that you will need to weigh the outcome.

It's a give an take situation where you'll get gains but you'll be sacrificing longevity and reliability, no matter how good your cooling efforts may be. In all actuality, certain cooling methods can help cause additional harm, declining the the life of the part being overclocked.

Companies even overclock and/or underclock their parts. But in the end it all comes down to the $$$ If they can gain from it, then why not?

Overclocking is not for the faint of heart or those light on the pocket book. As should your efforts fail, you'll be out some $$$ and time.

Just like with any hobby, it's how far you are willing to get into it. You can go in lightly or go hardcore. You just need to find the right level that you can handle, if any at all.

It can be fun, yet gut wrenching at the same time. So just find your limit.
bongoman
I personally like to err on the side of caution, so I am not a great advocate of overclocking, but if you're going to do it then do it right, (i.e spend the money on proper cooling, heat dissipation, etc) but be prepared when something does go wrong, as it will almost always happen and read the manual !!!
gh0stface
jay84h wrote:
Damaging components A.K.A even when your a professional, it will damage the component no matter what. Why do you think it's called overclocking? Overclocking A.K.A over doing it to a component that forces the component to struggle out more power thus burning it's energy more and more until it completely burns out.

You have to realize that a lot of computer component makers are also catering the overclocking enthusiasts such as Abit, Asus, MSI to name a few.

So the components aren't necessarily going to struggle compared to the earlier years when overclocking was in the minority. Overclocking phenom has grown quite a bit. Overclocking itself is like modding your car. Both are trying to improve speed and performance while in the long term if you don't know what you are doing, can damage itself.
jay84h
True, but you also have to know the fact for example, between BFG and Nvidia. BFG pre-overclocks all of there video card. Nvidia does not touch overclocking. If you think BFG and Nvidia are the same, then your absolutely wrong. Now I am just listing this as an example. BFG, this second rate company compared to Nvidia, takes Nvidia cards and overclock them. Nvidia are smart and do not touch overclocking. Why? Maybe you can do the math.
ForceRun
Do you have any idea what you are talking about???

Nvidia desines the video cards, and sends them out to BFG and all the other to customize and sell. YOU CAN NOT BUY A NVIDIA CARD. There is only the cards from all the side companies. Nvidia is very much into overclocking, at the release of the GeForce 8 in San Jose, they showed a promo on the king of overclocking and introduced their in 680i chipset and showed off all the overclock options. Could we get admin to close this subjuct plz, I getting sick of all this missinformation.
jay84h
Misinformation? Say what? Dude, you can buy true nVida cards, BFG just buys them off of nVidia to customize it themselves. Yes, there are side companies that do buy video cards off of nVidia to overclock. True nVidia cards are not overclocked because there smart at what they do. The companies that nVidia respects the most are the ones that are NOT pre-overclocked.
fiendskull9
i replaced the VGA cooler on my XFX 6800xt, and was able to raise it to 1100x434mhz with it staying very stable, and idling at 45C, and at 68c when playing CSS

-clay
Comatose
If you know what you are doing, and are very careful, it can be done with no problems. Though the benefit may not be as great as you would want. I'm for it if done properly, otherwise I agree with all those who are against. Rolling Eyes
Kitten Kong
All you need is sufficient cooling and don't go crazy. The chips are designed to go faster, they are slowed down to match where the company wants them to sit in the marketplace and for extra safety.

It also depends on luck, the way the chips are created there are good and bad ones, a well made chip will overclock heaps, but the companies clock them according to what the worst manufactured chips will be. The creation process isn't perfect, it doesn't always yield perfect results.
farmboyjoe
I Need some help overclocking.... I have a Dell Dimension E510, Pentium D 820 @ 2.83 Ghz with 1mb L2 cache on each core, 200mhz bus speed, DDR2 RAM @ 266mhz, and a Dell (intel i945G/GZ I think) mother board. I've tried a program called ClockGen which did not seem to work. The motherboard does not seem to have any jumpers or microdips or anything like that. I've tried to get to the BIOS setup screen by pressing the DEL key during start up, but the comuter seems to ignore it. If any one has any ideas let me know.........
gh0stface
You're biggest mistake is that you have a Dell. Dell isn't going to allow you to overclock at all. The bios they have is a custom made for Dell computers along with the motherboards. Dell essentially "safeguarded" people from being able to overclock their computers. Which is understandable as most people who purchase pre-built computers aren't very computer knowledgeable. You're essentially stuck at the speeds your computer runs at.
farmboyjoe
Well i guess lesson learned, the next comp will be a Cyber Power or something.
jay84h
I know my next computer will be a custom made one. I knew very much about computers when I bought my pre-made computer. I guess I was a bit lazy. Nontheless, I am customizing it starting now. First I will start with an Enermax 535W All In One Ready SLI Power Supply. That should handle all the components and the new ATI Radeon X1650 512MB DDR2 video card as well!
Shin
If you are going to use your PC for a long time than don't do it. Overclocking is no good to your PC. It shorten the life of you PC. If you must, you have to install a big fan for a start.
erlendhg
Depends how you look at it, and how much you overclock.
Latest processors, for instance, are made so that they can stand fine beeing overclocked a bit.

I have got an Intel Core 2 processor, and an ASUS P5W DELUXE motherboard, where ASUS has an automatically overclocking application they recommend.

Off course, you should not overclock, if you don't know what you are doing, and should not over-overclock Razz
jay84h
Shin wrote:
If you are going to use your PC for a long time than don't do it. Overclocking is no good to your PC. It shorten the life of you PC. If you must, you have to install a big fan for a start.


what Shin said....
glenn83e
didn't you fry your video card due to over clocking? Oh wait I forgot it was your PC's manufacturer who gave you a low quality power supply. Did you ever get that fixed buddy?
jay84h
LOL, yeah actually. Ideally what hap happened was that my PC was pre-built with a 250W power supply (enough for basic users, but NOT me, an advanced user). For example, whenever I had attempted to play Counter-Strike: Source, my PC would lock within the first minute of gameplay. I brang my PC to get checked and it was determines that (obviously) the video card (ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR) was basically fried. The fan was not working, so in turn it was always overheating, causing the crashes. Prior to that, my mother board was fried, they popped a new mother board in and the NIC had gotten fried on that, then they finally popped in one that worked! Anyway, where my video card was under warranty, they had replaced it with a new video card, a ATI Radeon X1650 512MB DDR2, which is obviously a wicke deal and I got a sweet video card out of it. I have not turned my computer on yet though, simply because going forward I am customizing it to my needs. I currently am going to install an Enermax 535W All In One SLI Ready PSU, which has more than enough to handle the power! Smile
ganesh
From the perspective of a chip designer: The reason why overclocking is mostly disabled is due to the fact that reliable operation can not be guaranteed under those conditions. Manufacturers are sane enough to market their products to work under conditions which ensure that they provide maximum MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure). Once you know this fact, it is up to you to decide whether you want to overclock or not!
jay84h
That is pretty much what it comes down to. If you just don't utterly care about the lifespan of what you are overclocking, then obviously you'll do it. But then again, if you do care about the lifespan, then it's the smart decision not to do it, no matter what. People may say there are ways to overclock that are no harm, because such things as video cards are made for more power? That's absolutely wrong in many ways. Why don't the manufacturer overclock the card themselves? Because they're smart and they care about the quality and how long it'll last. Would you want a video card that would perform to it's standards for months and months, or a video card that would perform higher than it should for weeks and dish out more money for another one? That's for you to decide!
Kenichi
I love over clocking my PC. Getting that little extra bit out of that expensive video card or process is completely worth it. Makes your cheaper part work like something slightly more expensive. Whats not to love? Well there is that overheating thing. Thats a risk I'm personally willing to take though.
Related topics
US Supreme Court rules against file swapping
Overclocking my ram.
Church against Marilyn Manson
Your Strategies against lazyness?
China Against the Internet
Demonstrating against the war/president/etc etc etc = FRAUD
Your most extreme overclocking experience...
Don Brown - The Da Vinci Code FOR and AGAINST
Dems still 2-faced, get butt-hurt when called on their BS
POLAND 2005 - Police action against peaceful demonstration
Jarad's guide to overclocking
Major Terror Plot Against US Ignored By US Media
Major Piracy Bust Against Top Providers
AOL wins $5 million award against spammer
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.