FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash Mobs

Liu
Anyone ever participate in one?

One of my friends set up one the other day at our university; it was pretty hilarious, the video can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcdvyRw06So

This flash mob requirement was:
People are required to bring a newspaper when arriving at the scene and reading it.
At the sound of the bell, participants sing along to the chimes.
Once the ringing starts, everyone hits each other with the newspapers
When the ringing stops, everyone plays dead for 15 seconds.

Flash mobs are just a group of people who get together and do some strange things for a short while, then quickly leave.
Jayfarer
I would love to be part of one, but I never hear about them. It seems like a giant, hilarious in-joke.
ninjakannon
There are loads of videos of 'Flash Mobs' on YouTube; I looked at a few more after seeing yours, Liu. I wouldn't mind being involved in one if there were lots of other people doing it. However, if the group wasn't very large then I would rather just watch. Razz

I haven't ever seen one of these before, but I'd love it. It would be so funny just to watch them.

Thanks for the link, Liu!
rightclickscott
When I read the title to this, I was instantly reminded of another kind of Flash Mob. Instead of hitting eachother with newspapers, the most recent one that happened had one goal in mind, take over Portland. You see, a group of my friends went across the bridge wearing nothing but trenchcoats, and then ran around Portland exposing themselves. Those seem like the traditional Flash Mobs, and they're hell of a lot more fun than hitting eachother with newspapers.
roninmedia
They do flash mobs at my school. Everyone is allowed to participate but I personally don't see the point of it.
ninjakannon
roninmedia wrote:
They do flash mobs at my school. Everyone is allowed to participate but I personally don't see the point of it.

There is no real point - I mean, it's not going to get you anything which will enhance either your life or the human race in any real way long term or short term. However, I'm sure it's a whole load of fun at the time - so, if there's any point at all, it's that. Simply to have fun! Razz

Why don't you join in one day, roninmedia? Then tell us what you thought. Enter into the spirit of things and try to have a laugh with everyone else who's doing it.
Liu
rightclickscott wrote:
Those seem like the traditional Flash Mobs, and they're hell of a lot more fun than hitting eachother with newspapers.

If exposing yourself indecently to tons of people is a lot more fun than harmless newspaper fighting, go for it.

The point of the flash mob my friend organized was to be completely weird and out of the ordinary. Flashing yourself really doesn't take much thought so much as it's really just streaking.
orno
i remember seeing this vid and countless pics of a flash mob invasion at a Best Buy in the US somewhere....found it pretty hilarious and decided that if something similar were to take place in germany, i would join in

as long as its legal, fun and doesnt cause anyone harm ofcourse
HoboPelican
I never took part in one, but it sounds like a hoot. No purpose? Laughing I disagree! Think of all those people going about their business, when suddenly the people around them spontaneously start acting crazy! Some will laugh, some will shake their heads, but they all will have a great story to tell to their friends and will have, for a few minutes, been pulled into the moment, forgetting worries and burdens. Sort of like a whack in the head from a Zen master, only funnier.
rightclickscott
Liu wrote:
If exposing yourself indecently to tons of people is a lot more fun than harmless newspaper fighting, go for it.

There's something you should know, I have strange friends. Most of the time, we will eagerly expose ourselves in public just to take down stable society.
HoboPelican
rightclickscott wrote:
Liu wrote:

There's something you should know, I have strange friends. Most of the time, we will eagerly expose ourselves in public just to take down stable society.

LOL...I doubt if exposing yourself is going to have much effect on taking down "stable society". Be honest, you and your friends just like showing off your tallywhacker. Wink
dz9c
Live a little and do something fun for a change, even if it doesnt have a point. Some things in life dont have a point...