FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gaming on a budget (legally)

Studio Madcrow
Lots of people here probably enjoy gaming but don't have much money to spend on things like massive gaming rigs and expensive new games. How about discussing various cheap and free games and techniques one can use to have a fun gaming experience on a budget?

The main suggestion I have is to look at games that are 2-3 years old. Chances are that if they're still being sold, they're quite good, as the usual shelf-life of a game isn't quite that long. In addition to the probable high quality, they're also likely to be in the $10-$30 range, about 1/2 to 1/4 of what they would have cost when new. Also, since the games are older, they're more likely to run well on your hardware. This (along with buying used) is my main tactic for console games buying.

My other recommendation would be to look out for compilation packs, such as Blizzard's *craft "Battlechests", the Quake Collection and the Unreal Anthology. They generally cost $20-$30 and contain multiple older but still awesome games, as well as expansion packs and the like. Most of my PC games collection was acuired either by this fashion or as gifts from friends...

Any other hints here?
Nameless
Freeware games. It's not like there aren't some damn awesome freeware games out there, you just have to look a bit to find them amongst the usual internet garbage.
Afaceinthematrix
i've seen old games fo even cheaper. I recently bought Madden 04 for $1.99. When it first came out it was a $50 dollar game, and I just bought it for $2. That's 4% of the original cost. I find that it's best to simply buy really old games, like I do.