FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cheap computers for linux.

lastelement0
hey. i've always wanted to have a dedicated linux machine that i could call my own. i know you can generally toss a distro onto an older system and have it run as fast, if not faster than a newer comp with windows. i was wondering if there was somewhere where i can find such a computer. if not what are some decent specs to run some of the newer distro releases?
drag0n
Buy a used computer maybe? Laughing

If you want tu run a newer distro get atleast 512mb ram and the processor is not that important. It's not the OS that uses up the system but it's the graphical client.
ezekiel_rage
lastelement0 wrote:
hey. i've always wanted to have a dedicated linux machine that i could call my own. i know you can generally toss a distro onto an older system and have it run as fast, if not faster than a newer comp with windows. i was wondering if there was somewhere where i can find such a computer. if not what are some decent specs to run some of the newer distro releases?

You need at least 128MB of RAM, 256MB good enough.

At least a 10GB hard disk drive, you would need around 4GB for a full installation, more or less.

At leat a 700MHz processor.

A good, reliable optical drive.

and of course the rest of the peripherals like mouse, keyboard and monitor.

You should try Vector Linux, iot very fast on older machines.

But then you can always try other modern distros that will be to your liking.

most of the time you can optimize/tweak any distro to be zippy on the above mentioned hardware.

Hope this helps
psycosquirrel
Get a used one from friends or off Craigslist...
mikethm
lastelement0 wrote:

I think you shouldn't be looking for an "older" computer as in the sense of buying a used system. It may seem like a cheap deal but what if it break down 2 months later. Far better to build or buy a brand new basic system on the cheapest reliable parts. At least here where I stay, I can usually build a basic system on the lower end parts for just around USD300.