FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would it corrupt my OS...?

bambholebaba
I am running WinXP SP2 and I want to install win98 on another partition of my hard disc, just to learn working on Win98. One of my friends told me that installing a previous variant of windows will corrupt my WinXP.
Is it true?
Darius
If you want win98 to work properly, you should have installed it before XP. Not that it will corrupt Your XP but there could be random errors.
pah8000
i not sure whether you can install windows 98 or not . From what i know, if you had a later version of Windos OS, you can't install a previous version of windows.

Yet you can try and see. Bear in mind to backup you system before do so.
corey
You can do what you want, but you'll have to have a partition prepared for it with FAT32 formatting. You will likely have to reinstall the WindowsXP bootloader so that you can access both OS's. It should still be doale, though.
tropicalfish
It is perfectly possible, as long as your harddrive is properly formatted.
I think that Windows 98 will not run on NTFS, so maybe FAT or FAT32 is needed.
However, it is likely that you will need to install the bootloader from the Windows XP disk.
NEurodrOne
The installation of 98 over XP wont threaten your system directly but still there can be chances of an unknown error sprucing up on loading/unloading of certain applications.

Incase you primarily work on XP and observe a crucial weakness in your OS workings after you have installed 98 around it, you can opt to repair it in the following way.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm
eax90
In the past I had both of them on my HDD, there was only one problem with bootloader. Win98 overwrote the place where bootloader of WinXP existed. The way is to install older version before installing XP.
sergio_ykz
I have tried many combinations WinXP -> WinME, WinXP -> Win98, and no errors ocurred.

I have partitioned my HD and WinXP runs on a NTFS partition that older windows do not recognize.

I recomend that you run a Linux on your machine to have LILO or other decent and free boot manager. Then you don´t get errors more.
MeddlingMonk
I suggest you use a partitioning program (eg. Partition Magic) to adjust the partition of your hard disk from XP before you install 98. Format this new partition in FAT32 (Win 98 won't work from NTFS) and make sure it's active, so that it can be booted. Boot to your Win 98 CD if you're using it to install 98, or a DOS boot disk. Install 98 to the FAT32 partition. Reboot back into XP. Go into System settings and add your FAT32 partition's drive letter to the boot list and make sure you set the boot manager to give you sufficient time to chose an OS. Reboot the machine, select the FAT32 partition and finish the 98 installation. You will have two separate operating systems now that shouldn't interfere with the operating of each other.
sergio_ykz
MeddlingMonk wrote:
I suggest you use a partitioning program (eg. Partition Magic) to adjust the partition of your hard disk from XP before you install 98. Format this new partition in FAT32 (Win 98 won't work from NTFS) and make sure it's active, so that it can be booted. Boot to your Win 98 CD if you're using it to install 98, or a DOS boot disk. Install 98 to the FAT32 partition. Reboot back into XP. Go into System settings and add your FAT32 partition's drive letter to the boot list and make sure you set the boot manager to give you sufficient time to chose an OS. Reboot the machine, select the FAT32 partition and finish the 98 installation. You will have two separate operating systems now that shouldn't interfere with the operating of each other.

I think that you only need to make a partition active if you use the Windows MBR. This bootloader look for the first active partition and load your OS.

I recommend you to use a boot loader like Lilo or comercial versions like OSLoader.
mikethm
Another possible way for you to install a experimental set up of Windows 98 would be to use a virtual system software like VMware. Meaning it "lives" on top of the Windows XP installation.
corey
Did you go ahead and do it? How did you make out? This is an important subject for many people and they might like to see what worked for you. Let us know how it worked out.