FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP Home with SP2 - Is it necessary?

DaComboMan
It has been about three years now that i have been working with this.
Have re-installed at least a dozen times (gone through defective hard disk) and every time i install SP2 it just slows every thing down.

A friend told me that it is not that important. More important for companies.
As i am running my laptop connected to the internet through a small network, i am debating on how important SP2 (or SP1) really are?

Without SP2 things are just great!
mystzero
In my opinion, i highly recommend you to update to Windows XP SP2. Well, SP2 differs from SP1 in terms of the raw socket support. With raw sockets in SP1, your computer's security can easily be compromised as your pc will have higher chances to join a botnet. Hence, your computer will be a host used by hackers to distribute spams and initiating DDOS attacks. Think of it, this causes your computer to be slower as compared to the performance drop when you have installed SP2. Secondly, Microsoft has also stop providing support and updates for Windows XP SP1 since last October. However, i have to admit that SP1 is indeed faster than SP2 as Microsoft has incorporated many new services to run, namely Windows Firewall service and Security Center service. Judging from that, you have to know that it's not all about performance. Imagine it this way, it is either for you to choose performance or security. For example, with firewall and antivirus installed, your pc will no doubt be slower than before but you are protected from malicious attacks which can in turn damaged your operating system. All in all, it all depends on how you think. Performance or security?

*Mind if you tell your computer specifications?
drag0n
SP2 did more harm then good for me too. So i didn't use it at all. With SP2 my modem could not be installed and therefore no internet connection. The biggest problem was I didn't know SP2 was causing this so I lost more then a week trying to install the modem. (The windows cd was a SP2 version). Only later I tried with a SP1a and from the first try the modem worked.

A year or so later i again had to install my modem (formated hdd) and again I had the same problem, the worst part was I coulden't remeber why i was having problems before and why I can't install it now. It took me a full day and when i finally remembered i swore to never come close to SP2 again. Amen.
DaComboMan
mystzero wrote:
In my opinion, i highly recommend you to update to Windows XP SP2. Well, SP2 differs from SP1 in terms of the raw socket support. With raw sockets in SP1, your computer's security can easily be compromised as your pc will have higher chances to join a botnet. Hence, your computer will be a host used by hackers to distribute spams and initiating DDOS attacks. Think of it, this causes your computer to be slower as compared to the performance drop when you have installed SP2. Secondly, Microsoft has also stop providing support and updates for Windows XP SP1 since last October. However, i have to admit that SP1 is indeed faster than SP2 as Microsoft has incorporated many new services to run, namely Windows Firewall service and Security Center service. Judging from that, you have to know that it's not all about performance. Imagine it this way, it is either for you to choose performance or security. For example, with firewall and antivirus installed, your pc will no doubt be slower than before but you are protected from malicious attacks which can in turn damaged your operating system. All in all, it all depends on how you think. Performance or security?

*Mind if you tell your computer specifications?

So if i understand you correctly.
SP1 is a necessity ; SP2 depends if you want security or not.
If i have a good AV and Firewall i'm okay then.
I can live with that!

Besides, when i first bought the laptop i had half the RAMs i have now.
Can you image how slow it was?!
And from what mystzero stated, i think i can do without SP2 for a while.

768 RAM/Memory - AMD ATHLON XP PROC 2800 + 1600
blueray
Yes, security is one of the big issuses when you faced with sp2. If you are using computer behind some firewall apps and have used soe safer browsers apps such as firefox as I do now. You do not need upgrade to windows xp sp2.

But, when, you have to install some newer apps such as internet explorer or .net framework 3.0. All those required that you have running it with windows xp sp2.

So, whether to upgrade or not are depends on your infrastructure.
Let me know if I'am wrong.
gh0stface
I've never had any trouble with SP2 for Windows XP. Then again, I did the slipstream method which essentially minimizes any problems that occurs. It's probably the best method to update your Windows XP to SP2. Although I guess the only downside is that you would have to do a fresh reinstall... where as the rest of you guys sound like you are just updating after using Windows SP1 for a long time and don't really want to reformat.
DaComboMan
gh0stface wrote:
I've never had any trouble with SP2 for Windows XP.

You mean, it never slowed down your PC in a noticeable manner?

Quote:

Then again, I did the slipstream method which essentially minimizes any problems that occurs...

What exactly can i ask, is this "slipstream method"?
Jaan
Get WinXP Pro with SP2... or just wait for Vista... Or switch to linux Ubuntu, then everything will be much, much faster, belive me.
ravi_9793
u must need sp2...olse u will continue reinstalling ur XP.
Sp2 are just security patches released by microsoft to fix the holes.
And I dont think it will slow down ur system.
To know more about service pack visit here
Smile http://techhunt.org/xp/about_history_of_windows_xp
yjwong
Remember, Windows XP SP1 and older are versions no longer supported by Microsoft. Unless there's a security flaw rated "CRITICAL" (no, not Important), it won't get fixed. So, either switch to Vista or upgrade to Windows XP SP2. It won't slow down your computer, at least not mine. Or if you want an alternative way. Install Ubuntu Linux.
DaComboMan
yjwong wrote:
Remember, Windows XP SP1 and older are versions no longer supported by Microsoft. Unless there's a security flaw rated "CRITICAL" (no, not Important), it won't get fixed. So, either switch to Vista or upgrade to Windows XP SP2. It won't slow down your computer, at least not mine. Or if you want an alternative way. Install Ubuntu Linux.

yjwong,

First, you already have slightly more RAMs that mine. 1G is almost a minimum today which i don't have.

Second, have tried Ubuntu and OpenOffice is not quite the equivalent of Word.

Third, Ubuntu doesn't seem to want to connect to the Network (Internet) via D-Link. Perhaps if i created a partition and ran it directly from HD instead of CD?

Fourth, @ravi_9793: thanks for the link, much useful!

Bottom line. If i'm not on a company Network all these security issues with SP2 may be useless in my case. From the looks of it, correct me if i'm wrong, but when, and when only i have a good AV and Firewall that is what really matters.
gh0stface
DaComboMan wrote:
gh0stface wrote:

No slow downs what so ever.

Quote:

Then again, I did the slipstream method which essentially minimizes any problems that occurs...

What exactly can i ask, is this "slipstream method"?[/quote][/quote]
There are several guides about slipstreaming. Slipstreaming is essentially where the updated files from SP2 replaces the old files on Windows XP CD. Although you'll need to burn a new XP CD. I probably didn't explain it too correctly, so read the guides that I provided links to below(the first link is the one I originally used when slipstreaming, however I believe the rest of the sites provide the same type of info):
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Windows-Slipstream-Guide_1.html
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
tropicalfish
Not only is SP2 better for security, there are many bugs fixed with the SP2 installation too.
DaComboMan
tropicalfish wrote:
Not only is SP2 better for security, there are many bugs fixed with the SP2 installation too.

That may be true but it's been a couple of days now and everything just works fine and super quick without SP2! Hey! Even Outlook opens up in less than an hour (hum... a smidgen off 10 seconds)! Smile
JayBee
You don't like bubbles and other awesome stuff? You don't like anti virus? You really don't want slow down PC?
There is basic question: Why you use windows?
If you really want, you should use all updates.
You never know who want to attack your PC, who want read your files, who want delete your data, who want use your PC to hack other PCs.
Be patient!
DaComboMan
JayBee wrote:
You don't like bubbles and other awesome stuff?

Bubbles?

Quote:

You don't like anti virus?

Have an excellent AV and Firewall.

Quote:

You really don't want slow down PC?
There is basic question: Why you use windows?

Because it's there.
Ubuntu still does not work on my laptop.
I tried the installer download the other day.
Waited almost three hours (patient?) then installed it and tried to boot it (from hard disk as promised) and it would not move any further than the start up logo. Just like cows in the field! Laughing

Quote:

If you really want, you should use all updates.
You never know who want to attack your PC, who want read your files, who want delete your data, who want use your PC to hack other PCs.
Be patient!

Again. With a good AV and Firewall (and other Spyware programs) where's the problem?
JayBee
DaComboMan wrote:
JayBee wrote:

Bubbles?

Balloons, bubbles, I don't know, how you call this

I have never seen English windows and it is long time I used windows.

It is problem
secure and powerful system against BFU

Do you realy know how many machine cycles are waste by anti... stuff?
Little hot processor. Just overloadig it Crying or Very sad
kiranaghor
When I was using Windows XP SP 1, copying data to and from my external USB disk was too slow. And when I upgraded it to SP 2 data transfer is 10 times faster. Also wifi is much more improved than in SP1.
DaComboMan
kiranaghor wrote:
When I was using Windows XP SP 1, copying data to and from my external USB disk was too slow. And when I upgraded it to SP 2 data transfer is 10 times faster. Also wifi is much more improved than in SP1.

That's interesting!
I have an external disk (40g) i use as back-up and with Cobian's freeware program, i have failed to notice any significant speed enhancements. Will keep a closer eye on that.

You may convince me yet!

Wink
ssthanapati
mystzero Wrote"

*Mind if you tell your computer specifications? "

I completely agree with him but i wud like 2 suggest 1 method which i found useful. If u use a Win XP cd with SP2 integrated in it it dosent slow ut pc down. Just try it. it wrked for me Very Happy
DaComboMan
gh0stface wrote:
DaComboMan wrote:
gh0stface wrote:

No slow downs what so ever.

Quote:

What exactly can i ask, is this "slipstream method"?

Quote:

There are several guides about slipstreaming. Slipstreaming is essentially where the updated files from SP2 replaces the old files on Windows XP CD. Although you'll need to burn a new XP CD. I probably didn't explain it too correctly, so read the guides that I provided links to below(the first link is the one I originally used when slipstreaming, however I believe the rest of the sites provide the same type of info):
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Windows-Slipstream-Guide_1.html
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

Boy! This is complicated stuff!

First of all, i don't have ISO Buster and Nero Burning ROM 6 ;
Second, how can i download SP2 without installing?

See! I'm still interested!
theevildonkey
SP2 worked ok for me. It was really fast too because I used a program called 'Nlite' to get rid of the junk and made my own custom CD.
SP2 doesn't make Windows any more stable though, so I don't use Windows.
http://www.nliteos.com/
DaComboMan
theevildonkey wrote:
SP2 worked ok for me. It was really fast too because I used a program called 'Nlite' to get rid of the junk and made my own custom CD.

Evildonkey may not be that bad!

Laughing

Will give it a shot ED!
BTW, i noticed the Ubuntu logo under your alias.
If i create a partition on my HD with Acronis do you think my chances are good for a clean Ubuntu trial? Any package deal that can really work?

Thanks!
theevildonkey
DaComboMan wrote:
theevildonkey wrote:

Evildonkey may not be that bad!

Laughing

Will give it a shot ED!
BTW, i noticed the Ubuntu logo under your alias.
If i create a partition on my HD with Acronis do you think my chances are good for a clean Ubuntu trial? Any package deal that can really work?

Thanks!

Yeah. Ubuntu/Kubuntu are really easy to install. But during the install just make sure you set up the partitions manually instead of letting it do it for you. Otherwise it'll just use the entire HD. If for some reason it can't use the partition you created, it can format it for you. It should also auto detect your other operating systems and add them to the Grub boot menu.
Also... I noticed you said "trial". If all you want to do is try it out, the Ubuntu CDs are also Live CDs. You can boot it from the CD and use it without affecting your hard drive.
theevildonkey
JayBee wrote:
DaComboMan wrote:
JayBee wrote:

Bubbles?

Balloons, bubbles, I don't know, how you call this

I have never seen English windows and it is long time I used windows.

It is problem
secure and powerful system against BFU

Do you realy know how many machine cycles are waste by anti... stuff?
Little hot processor. Just overloadig it Crying or Very sad

Those little balloons are one of the many things that Nlite can remove =)
DaComboMan
To my friends who "worried" about me not installing SP2.

I did it!

But still don't like it as it still slows down my PC by half the speed.
Especially at boot. Crying or Very sad

(if you want Windows Media 11 you need SP2, yuck!)

Still working on Slipstreaming and Ubuntu.
Both of which are time consuming for a non-geek like myself.
DaComboMan
Trying to Slipstream but it seems like you really need either Nero 6 or Roxio Easy CD Creator. Sonic can't do the job from what i can see. Anyone want to switch program? Ha! Wink
theevildonkey
DaComboMan wrote:
Trying to Slipstream but it seems like you really need either Nero 6 or Roxio Easy CD Creator. Sonic can't do the job from what i can see. Anyone want to switch program? Ha! Wink

ImgBurn is a really nice program for CD/DVD burning. It even has a tool for building ISOs.
Best of all, it's free!

http://www.imgburn.com/

Also, I'm pretty sure you can download the SP2 redistributable(If there is one. I dunno.) off the Microsoft website and add it in with Nlite.
DaComboMan
[quote="theevildonkey"]
ImgBurn is a really nice program for CD/DVD burning. It even has a tool for building ISOs.
Best of all, it's free!

Thanks for the link ED!
Will give it a try.

theevildonkey wrote:

Also, I'm pretty sure you can download the SP2 redistributable(If there is one. I dunno.) off the Microsoft website and add it in with Nlite.

I managed to slipstream but now all i need to do is burn it right?
ImgBurn will do the trick? I hope.
theevildonkey
[quote="DaComboMan"]
theevildonkey wrote:

Best of all, it's free!

Thanks for the link ED!
Will give it a try.

theevildonkey wrote:

I managed to slipstream but now all i need to do is burn it right?
ImgBurn will do the trick? I hope.

Yep. Just burn it. Also, I usually add a CD key in with Nlite. That way it just installs and doesn't ask you for the CD key. I think Nlite also gives you the option of using an alternative installer that is supposed to be a little faster.