FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


racism





riyadh
racism has become more and more common these days.i don't knw why but ppl of different races are just not getting along these days. the other day, i was watching 'The Tyra Banks Show' because they were doing this special on racism. a black women was telling Tyra how muslim grls who wear scarfs over their head make them think about terrorists. the muslim grl replied "how dare you? go educate yourself!" i agree with the grl because not all muslims are terrorists. i'm a muslim (doesn't mean i'm a terrorist). the black women's excuse for saying this was tht the media these days brainwash ppl into thinking tht muslims are terrorists. FYI - the media also brainwashes us to think tht all black ppl r involved in gang related crimes. i knw tht is not the case but tht is wat the media puts in ur minds. if we don't educate ourselves on this, then we will forever blame the media and not ourselves.

another controversy looming around is the racism going on in 'Big Brother UK'. shilpa shetty (a bollywood actress) has mocked because of her accent, she's called the 'Indian' and not shilpa. this issue has gone to the british parliament and have raised questions all over the world whether this is a violation of the UK's racism policies.

Sources: The Tyra Banks Show, Dubai One Channel and BBC
maclui
I think people should adapt to the place they go to live. You cannot change the color of the skin but you can show some respect for the place you move by adapting to the way of living for instance if in a place it is illegal to use that piece of blanket on the head then dont use it. For instance France has prohibited that. If you moved out of your country it is because (mostly) because it was not good for you, so why keeping lifestyles that dont work?
Soulfire
There is always prejudice, and there always will be. It's almost intrinsic, we are just apprehensive about people who are different than us (be it race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) Some have it to more degrees than others. All I would ask is that people respect and tolerate each other, even if they don't agree with them.

For instance, I have the right to believe every Muslim is a terrorist (I don't, but I have a right to)... but that belief cannot, in any way, steal rights, give fear to, or intimidate said Muslims. This goes for any personal belief.

You're entitled to believe what you want, but those beliefs cannot step on the rights of others.
maclui
Soulfire wrote:
There is always prejudice, and there always will be. It's almost intrinsic, we are just apprehensive about people who are different than us (be it race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) Some have it to more degrees than others. All I would ask is that people respect and tolerate each other, even if they don't agree with them.

For instance, I have the right to believe every Muslim is a terrorist (I don't, but I have a right to)... but that belief cannot, in any way, steal rights, give fear to, or intimidate said Muslims. This goes for any personal belief.

You're entitled to believe what you want, but those beliefs cannot step on the rights of others.


Bright answer Smile
suntzu3500
Soulfire wrote:
There is always prejudice, and there always will be. It's almost intrinsic, we are just apprehensive about people who are different than us (be it race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) Some have it to more degrees than others. All I would ask is that people respect and tolerate each other, even if they don't agree with them.

For instance, I have the right to believe every Muslim is a terrorist (I don't, but I have a right to)... but that belief cannot, in any way, steal rights, give fear to, or intimidate said Muslims. This goes for any personal belief.

You're entitled to believe what you want, but those beliefs cannot step on the rights of others.


I couldn't have said it better myself.
otiscom
I also agree with soulfire.
And as for Big Brother and other such innane crap, take it off TV and give us something for our minds!
Hoggie
otiscom wrote:
I also agree with soulfire.
And as for Big Brother and other such innane crap, take it off TV and give us something for our minds!


I second that ..... I can't for the life of me understand why these sorts of shows are so popular..... I fear it is a damning statement on the human condition.
riyadh
i agree with Soulfire in the sense tht we do have the right to think wat we think...after all this is a free world. u might be entitled to think tht all muslims r terrorists whereas i'm entitled to think tht all black ppl r members of a gang etc., jews r horrible, americans are hypocrites. but my point is tht...even if we think these things, we never say it to anyone's face.
Tiger
maclui wrote:
I think people should adapt to the place they go to live. You cannot change the color of the skin but you can show some respect for the place you move by adapting to the way of living for instance if in a place it is illegal to use that piece of blanket on the head then dont use it. For instance France has prohibited that. If you moved out of your country it is because (mostly) because it was not good for you, so why keeping lifestyles that dont work?


Well said! If you live in France, become a Frenchman, if you live in Spain become a Spaniard, if you live in England become an Englishman! If you move to another country and don't like the culture, go back home.

The same in sports. If you support your national team then emmigrate, and your old national team plays against your adopted country's national team, then support the national team of your new country.

One reason why the Roman Empire was so great, is that while their culture adapted and accomodated new practices from conquered territories, everyone who became a citizen lived and was ruled by Roman culture and law.

Multi-culturalism is a fact in the global economy, but within a single country it is mere nonsense and promotes division rather than unity. All citizens should grow up with, or adopt, the national culture. If you receive permanent residence and stay longer than 5 years, the same should apply.

If a German moved to Japan and became a citizen or resided there more than 5 years, he should speak Japanese, dress and eat like a Japanese. He's not a German anymore, as his passport shows, he's Japanese.

If a Pakistani moves to England and becomes a citizen, or gets permanent residence and stays more than 5 years, he should eat, speak and dress like an Englishman. Suit and umbrella, bacon and eggs, and watch football on the big screen down at the local pub.

If people don't want to make these changes, they shouldn't move to another country. These were not my views before, they are now after spending 2 years in a foreign land.
cruisearound
The big brother fiasco has once again lifted racism into the limelight again, unfortunatly for all the wrong reasons, the housemates involved are no more than ignorant rather than racist in my eyes.
Far too much emphasis is placed on the "racism card" being played here.
How many other times have we seen bitching apear in reality tv shows like big brother, only now that a celebrity indian is involved has it been brought to attention?
I use the word celebrity very loosely here as i do`nt consider any of the contestants to have this status, not so long ago they would of benn better known as "has beens"
Sad
Hoggie
I can't help but feel this would have been handled totally differently if the roles were reversed.
An Indian girl making those sort of remarks about a white girl would have been laughed off without any media interest what so ever.
lyndonray
Racism is about as productive as trying to turn bong-water in to the finest Pinot Noir by simply staring it! It serves no purpose and is a waste of energy. but so many people are obsessed with it. Not to say that I don't have any prejudices. We all do, but you should make them your driving force.

There is a lot of racism, but i think people need to loosen up a bit. Every comment made by one person about another person is now thought of as an attach on the whole race, country religion or whatever. People need to lighten up. If Tim is caught on TV telling someone he hates that person, who just happens to be jewish, Tim is immediately labeled an anti-Semite!! When in actual fact Tim couldn't care less if the guy was an atheist! So people just need to relax. not everything racially motivated. We all need to think about whats really important in life!
catscratches
This is so irritating. If you act like a "swedish" then you're a racist. No matter what you say or think, if you're swedish, then you're a racist. Thats how it is here in Sweden. If you say anything which might in any way mean something bad, then you must have meant it!! IRRITATING!!!!!!
rshanthakumar
Men and women cannot but live the way they were brought up. You cannot expect men from China behave like the americans after living for say five years. For that matter, even after living in America for twenty, there are people who are not thinking and moving around like the americans. They are still Chinese in their activities. This is NOT wrong.

Whereas their children will behave like the Americans since they are brought up in that environment.

Cultures need to merge not swallow one another. An amalgamated culture that takes the good ones from every other would be the ideal one for the human race. For instance, the enterprenural spirit of the west has no parallel in history. At the same time, the east has specific contributions to the world and has an unparalleled history in terms of bringing in varied thoughts on religion and culture. Every society builds specific cultures. And that is what we should look for and build in the modern global village.
Soulfire
I found an interesting "Racial Bias" test at www.understandingprejudice.org. You do have to sign up for an account though, but it gives you some insight.
rshanthakumar
Tiger wrote:
maclui wrote:
I think people should adapt to the place they go to live. You cannot change the color of the skin but you can show some respect for the place you move by adapting to the way of living for instance if in a place it is illegal to use that piece of blanket on the head then dont use it. For instance France has prohibited that. If you moved out of your country it is because (mostly) because it was not good for you, so why keeping lifestyles that dont work?


Well said! If you live in France, become a Frenchman, if you live in Spain become a Spaniard, if you live in England become an Englishman! If you move to another country and don't like the culture, go back home.

The same in sports. If you support your national team then emmigrate, and your old national team plays against your adopted country's national team, then support the national team of your new country.

One reason why the Roman Empire was so great, is that while their culture adapted and accomodated new practices from conquered territories, everyone who became a citizen lived and was ruled by Roman culture and law.

Multi-culturalism is a fact in the global economy, but within a single country it is mere nonsense and promotes division rather than unity. All citizens should grow up with, or adopt, the national culture. If you receive permanent residence and stay longer than 5 years, the same should apply.

If a German moved to Japan and became a citizen or resided there more than 5 years, he should speak Japanese, dress and eat like a Japanese. He's not a German anymore, as his passport shows, he's Japanese.

If a Pakistani moves to England and becomes a citizen, or gets permanent residence and stays more than 5 years, he should eat, speak and dress like an Englishman. Suit and umbrella, bacon and eggs, and watch football on the big screen down at the local pub.

If people don't want to make these changes, they shouldn't move to another country. These were not my views before, they are now after spending 2 years in a foreign land.


Man's progress is not because of similarity but because of divergence. Only people who think and act differently can bring in progress. It is necessary for personal gain and profit, that human race encourages divergence in behaviour.

A Jap should not become a german nor the other way. they should have their own individuality. Only then the divergence is protected. Do you know that there were 25000 varieties of rice in the world about one hundred years back. Today there are only fifty varieties of rice. Human race in its commercialisation has lost the product divergence and variety. So it is in the case of human race itself. Stark commercialisation is making us to loose better things from other races.
smarter
maclui wrote:
I think people should adapt to the place they go to live. You cannot change the color of the skin but you can show some respect for the place you move by adapting to the way of living for instance if in a place it is illegal to use that piece of blanket on the head then dont use it. For instance France has prohibited that. If you moved out of your country it is because (mostly) because it was not good for you, so why keeping lifestyles that dont work?


Indeed this is the way. Respect for your neighbours, for the community you live in.

For example if you are a Muslim in a Western country first respect the Western values (freedom of religion, freedom of speech, etc) and you will be respected too. If you always keep apart and don't integrate (nobody asks you to abandon your religion!) because you are "different", sooner or later that "difference" will hit back.

On the other hand, there will always be people who don't like THE OTHERS. But racism is media hype these days. Racism is not when somebody calls a black person "n i g g e r" real racism is when that black person can't get a job only because he's black.
rshanthakumar
smarter wrote:
maclui wrote:
I think people should adapt to the place they go to live. You cannot change the color of the skin but you can show some respect for the place you move by adapting to the way of living for instance if in a place it is illegal to use that piece of blanket on the head then dont use it. For instance France has prohibited that. If you moved out of your country it is because (mostly) because it was not good for you, so why keeping lifestyles that dont work?


Indeed this is the way. Respect for your neighbours, for the community you live in.

For example if you are a Muslim in a Western country first respect the Western values (freedom of religion, freedom of speech, etc) and you will be respected too. If you always keep apart and don't integrate (nobody asks you to abandon your religion!) because you are "different", sooner or later that "difference" will hit back.

On the other hand, there will always be people who don't like THE OTHERS. But racism is media hype these days. Racism is not when somebody calls a black person "n i g g e r" real racism is when that black person can't get a job only because he's black.


Racism is a mentality. It is ingrained in your thoughts and actions.

Why do we expect people to behave 'our' way? Does he do his job as per the basic tenets of the society. The law need not be different. But the law just should not specify what kind of dress one wears; what kind of head gear is allowed and what is not allowed. That is too demeaning.

Words hurt. When you call someone a ******, you are hurting the other guy with your words. The word '******' has started meaning something derogatory over a period of time. That is why it hurts. It is like the word Paki. It does not any more refer to people of Pak origin. It refers to some one sly and lazy and you know what...So even people of Pak origin do not want you to call them that.

Racism is in everything that refers to the persons origin derogatively. Racism does not get cured just because you clap your hands when a black person makes an impressive speech. Only when the number of black managers and higher officials in the country map with that of the population map for that particular group. This is the same for people of all ethnic origin.
StoneColdSoul
Well then, crazy shit that rasizim is.
smarter
rshanthakumar wrote:

Racism is a mentality. It is ingrained in your thoughts and actions.


Racism is not a mentality! Racism is unfavorable action toward a person based on that person's origin. E.g. calling somebody names (concerning his origin or not) is an INSULT not racism. Many dictionaries confuse "cause" with "result" and define racism as a BELIEF!!

rshanthakumar wrote:

Why do we expect people to behave 'our' way?


This "our" way is called DEMOCRACY. I believe that DIVERSITY IS GOOD (races, beliefs, languages, clothes, foods, etc.) but the basic values of democracy are not negotiable. I think we as a society are pretty tolerant (of course there are some individuals less tolerant towards "foreigners").

rshanthakumar wrote:

Words hurt.... Racism is in everything that refers to the persons origin derogatively.


We don't live in a perfect world! SOME of the billions of daily cruel words and curses carry race connotations. So what? They are just that: verbal abuse.

On the other hand RACISM is media hype. Mass media love scandals because scandals increase audience (and sales). Therefore when some insignificant guy is angry and says something inappropriate... a new opportunity to make money arises.
sopetite
^
Im a bit guilty of this, not because of ignorance, but because of knowledge. I can't stop anger when I hear of the stories of how Americans oppressed my people for hundreds of years.

But I know that it shouldn't stop there.

I understand that if I hate a certain race then I'm being one of "them". But the worst kind of racism is just hating because they're different.

Another stupid crap from BIG BROTHER? From Sylvania, This guy commented about a fellow Filipino having brown skin and should be prohibited from using the Jacuzzi because his brown skin will seep color into the water.
missdixy
Soulfire wrote:
There is always prejudice, and there always will be... I have the right to believe every Muslim is a terrorist (I don't, but I have a right to)... but that belief cannot, in any way, steal rights, give fear to, or intimidate said Muslims. This goes for any personal belief.

You're entitled to believe what you want, but those beliefs cannot step on the rights of others.


This could not have been better said. A lot of people forget this. For some reason this makes me think of the Westboro church folks. They believe America is doomed and that soldiers and gay people are going to hell, etc. They have a right to believe all this. But, when they're protesting at funerals of dead soldiers or homosexuals and screaming it to their families/harassing them, that's a different story.
riyadh
i agree with missdixy. soulfire is a fool for thinking tht us muslims are intimidated by ur belief tht all of us r terrorists. FYI...we're not but tht doesn't giv u the right to say it everyday on the telly and blame us for all the problems. i could easily say a lot of things about americans, bush, israel and jews but i won't bcoz it's offending to the person im telling. tht is wat ppl like soulfire dnt understand
catscratches
It's rather funny that peope say they're against racism but also hate homosexuality, which in my point of view is a form or racism.
Tim Graham
catscratches wrote:
It's rather funny that peope say they're against racism but also hate homosexuality, which in my point of view is a form or racism.
They're different but related things - being homsexual doesn't mean you belong to a different race, but there is common ground in that they are both discriminating on the basis of something you can't change (if that's what you meant).
xram
Racism starts at home.
roninmedia
Racism is just sorting in the mind. Discrimination will always exist because the human mind tends to sort things immediately. Humans will always try to draw a dividing line; whether it is religion, race, creed, sex, sexuality and economic function. It only becomes a true issue when it incurs on the lives of others and restricts how they live their life.

The media also tends to pick which stories to focus on as racism. I'm Asian and know despite the general definition of minority being a low total of the population. But Asians are not considered to be your typical minority because of high socio-economic factors, so racism towards them is ignored. When was the last time the news focused on a story about racism towards a white person?
Billy Hill
riyadh wrote:
racism has become more and more common these days.i don't knw why but ppl of different races are just not getting along these days.


LMAO!

How old are you? Racial relations have always been ef'd up for one reason or another. It's not better or on worse than it was 20 years ago.
Related topics
Racial Equality
Racism in politics..
Whites need not apply!
What's the diference
Racial Discrimination.
Jena6: It's a world topic b/c racism is alive and well.
Racism and sports: Cricket and the Indian context
Christians, Jesus, and Africans born in America from slavery
Racism and scientific responsibility
Racism or art ?
How do you define racism?
Interesting Definition of Racism
What else isnt aloud besides mp3?
hi !
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Discuss World News

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.